Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 16:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.?????

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.????? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 03:54
Hello everybody,

I've just had my gmat exam yesterday and I got a 620 Q45 V30.
I've been studying on the gmat for 3 months and a half, full time, with an avarage of 4-5 hours a day. At first, I attended a Veritas Course in London (june) and after that I continued studying by myself. Honestly, I'm quite happy of the quantitative section, although I was expecting a 46-48, but this is not the main problem. It is the verbal section to cause me to be disappointed. This is the material I used for the verbal:

- Veritas material (5 books for the verbal);
- Sentence correction book Manhattan;
- Critical reasoning bible by Power Score;
- Official guide 12th edition and Verbal official guide;
- Some questions in the gmat club forum, like brutal sentence correction.

Furthermore I had several CATS simulations, and these are my last results (I have also had 800.score cats):

Manhattan 4 - Q46 V34
Manhattan 5 - V39
Manhattan 6 - Q49 V38
Official 1 (First retake) - Q46 V26
Official 2 (First retake) - Q49 V33
Official 1 (Second retake) - Q48 V37

As you can see from above, my verbal section has always been my weak point, but for me it was strange that I could get better verbal score in the Manhattan Cats than in the Official simulations. I'm aware that I have studied many, many rules of the english grammar and critical reasoning. I really believe that my fundamentals are strong and solid. I know almost everything about strenghten, weaken, assumptions, flaws, bold face, and parallelism, pronouns, idioms, etc....I swear I studied a lot and I spent huge amount of time on them. But when I had to do it under time pressure, having just 2 minutes, having to switch continually my mindset from one question type to another, having to read on a computer without the possibility to underline, and take notes rapidly directly on the paper, the problems began. My english is not so natural and comprehensive to allow myself to read so much material in 75 minutes (2 min. per question) and in this situation I cannot reason well, as I spend most of the time trying to understand and well comprehend what is written. As a result, my CR is quite shit, even though I had studied it intensevely. My RC is better than CR, but the though ones become impossible for me. SC that was supposed to be my strong point during the test was also a problem, as I realized that the specific rules studied with the Manhattan book were not so reflected in the real gmat SC questions. I found that them had a different pattern or maybe it was just a personal impression (don't know). Finally, I have to admit that my strategy for the verbal section was not to frustrate to much my self trying to develop sharp and accurate reasoning for the first questions, or to be as much accurate as possible with the probability of running out of time. Conversely, it was to spend 2 minutes per questions, to be relaxed and do what was for me possible to answer, being as much natural as possible.

To sum up, now I found myself in a situation in which I know that studying further the verbal rules is quite useless, but I don't have an idea how to improve the verbal score and what to do, in how much time, in which manner.

I was thinking of buying some books, read newspaper and ???????? please, please..............adviceeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 482 [1] , given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.????? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 04:59
This post received
KUDOS
Hi nicol, its sad to know about your low verbal score.

Your resources suggest that you have gone through almost all the stuff necessary to get a decent verbal score.

One strategy that I wanna suggest is to go through the weak areas one by one. Like, if you feel RC is the weakest then try to practice in this area. You know, RC was a nightmare for me, but after a clear strategy it became a plus point as I expected a 90% success ratio in RC problems. Have you tried Gin's approach?? Try to follow that & you will feel the difference.

For CR, I will suggest to do hardcore practice. Have you utilize the tag list option available on this forum?? Do use this function & go through the detailed discussions.

For SC, again, I will call for using tag function.

Also, try GMATTER. This was one of my resources, it contains all the official questions in a software format.

Best of luck & keep us posted.
Attachments

Gin's RC Tips.doc [73 KiB]
Downloaded 52 times

To download please login or register as a user

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: 620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.????? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 14:49
Thanks for your advice, but how did you primirly improved your verbal section? Have you ever studied in an english institution? Are you used to read accademic topics or newspaper in english? You mean that it is more important to have a good strategy for the RC passages than to have a good vocabulary and natural and fast approach to the reading. What do you think it is more important for it.......read, read, read or sharp the strategy (as I could see in the file you forwarded me...thanks)?.....I'm asking you that because I believe that I studied the verbal fundamentals and, in this case, the RC approach and question types quite well...........What did u primirly do to raise your score??????? Very important, Have you already got a strong accademic english before starting studying on the GMAT???????????
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2269

Kudos [?]: 8756 [1] , given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.????? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 15:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Welcome to GMAT club

See this post: study-plan-for-verbal-gmat-98342.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 80

Re: 620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.????? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 15:38
It's so strange after scoring so high... You must have been unlucky on the actual exam...

Anyway you can retake the test and get very high 600 or even 700 just don't be discouraged!!!

Good luck
Intern
Intern

Re: 620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.????? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 15:51
I hope so.....but I still don't understand why I scored so high in Manhattan CATS and why I had so many problems with the official ones........:(..........Doubts......don't worry, I'm not discouraged :), but I want to understand the right direction to take in order to boost the V score.......and to become more confident while doing them under time pressure.......:)
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.????? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 19:27
error logs help wonders.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.????? [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 19:52
Try reading more newspapers, also how were the veritas course/books?

Thanks,
Dawg

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 482 [1] , given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.????? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 00:26
This post received
KUDOS
nicolosurdo wrote:
Thanks for your advice, but how did you primirly improved your verbal section? Have you ever studied in an english institution? Are you used to read accademic topics or newspaper in english? You mean that it is more important to have a good strategy for the RC passages than to have a good vocabulary and natural and fast approach to the reading. What do you think it is more important for it.......read, read, read or sharp the strategy (as I could see in the file you forwarded me...thanks)?.....I'm asking you that because I believe that I studied the verbal fundamentals and, in this case, the RC approach and question types quite well...........What did u primirly do to raise your score??????? Very important, Have you already got a strong accademic english before starting studying on the GMAT???????????

It was November last year when I started to think about verbal section. When I went through RC section, the results were horrible. I managed to read the passage & answer the questions in more than 12 minutes. :shock: I thought with the passage of time & practice I would bring this time downwards but nopes!! No improvement!! Then I went for a different policy. I installed Time, Newyork Times, Washington Post, Business Week Applications on my Blackberry handheld. Made a habit to read atleast three articles daily. This resulted in a know how of sentences, & different formations within sentences. Today I still go through atleast three articles from any of these publications. :)

RC strategy varies from person to person. So you have to develop something for yourself. Try to put some plugs in your ears, & FOCUS while reading the passage. I hope you can get better results.

Best of luck & keep us posted.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 154

Kudos [?]: 507 [1] , given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.????? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
Unfortunately i am in the same deep sh*t and don't know how to improve my verbal...
My weakest area was RC, during a month a have read a tone of RC passages from RC 1000 series, and I saw an improvement in my score.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Intern
Intern

Re: 620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.????? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 16:14
Sorry, what is RC 1000 series....I have never heard of it before......is it a book projected specifically for the gmat?? What kind of topics are there inside....just management and economics or also geology, antropology, etc..........in such a case I would buy it immediately.......:)...... I will follow your path my friend.....:)
Intern
Intern

Re: 620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.????? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 01:40
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.????? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 05:52
You can find that 1000RCs online if you search in google.

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: University of Dhaka - Class of 2010
GMAT 1: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.63
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 543 [0], given: 182

GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.????? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 06:22
I can help u to give u all 1000 rc, 1000sc, 1000cr questions....provide ur email address. if u like.
monirjewel@yahoo.com

Practice Makes a Man Perfect. Practice. Practice. Practice......Perfectly

Critical Reasoning: best-critical-reasoning-shortcuts-notes-tips-91280.html

Collections of MGMAT CAT: collections-of-mgmat-cat-math-152750.html

MGMAT SC SUMMARY: mgmat-sc-summary-of-fourth-edition-152753.html

Sentence Correction: sentence-correction-strategies-and-notes-91218.html

Arithmatic & Algebra: arithmatic-algebra-93678.html

Helpful Geometry formula sheet: best-geometry-93676.html

I hope these will help to understand the basic concepts & strategies. Please Click ON KUDOS Button.

Intern
Intern

Re: 620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.????? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 06:38
thank you very very muchhhhh...........nicolosurdo@hotmail.com.............thankssssssssss
Intern
Intern

Re: 620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.????? [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 06:19
hi guys,

I began reading passages from RC 1000 series and WSJ articles in order to spur my english naturality. Honestly, I would say that I'm realizing how many english words I still don't know and how much is useful to dip into this kind of stuff. I'm also reading fiction books before sleeping and I found this activity helpful as well since you have the change to read something you are really interested in and, as a result, you can stay focus more time on it. As I said before in this forum, I have already spent a great amount of time studying the GMAT verbal rules and, therefore, this time I decided to focus more on the ability to cope with long passages, trying to get as much used as possible to the GMAT verbal style, vocabulary and topics.

However, I would like to know from other guys that are in my situation (have studied a lot the GMAT verbal rules and still get a low verbal score) how much time they think it is necesessary to spend in this way to boost the V score consistently and what is the strategy they are implementing to achieve it.

Retired Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.????? [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2010, 11:40
Nice to hear from you. I'm still struggling with RC :(

Posted from my mobile device Image

RC videos rc-through-videos-99566.html
CR videos cr-through-videos-99033.html
SC videos sc-through-videos-98340.html
Quant videos quant-through-videos-102525.html

Re: 620 Q45 V30...........how can I raise the verbal score.?????   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2010, 11:40