Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

620 Q51 V23 - How to improve Verbal score?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

620 Q51 V23 - How to improve Verbal score? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 07:56
I appeared for GMAT on last Saturday. I got 620 Q51 V23. I was getting ~30 in Verbal practice tests, but in actual test I did not get that much also.
What should I do to improve Verbal score? Please guide me.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Fuqua
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 Q51 V23 - How to improve Verbal score? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 08:49
First let me congratulate you on you Quant score. It is excellent. But Verbal......

The only way to improve Verbal is to know the concepts tested in GMAT and practice them ONLY from the reliable sources....The best books that I can refer are -

OG 10,11,12,OG Verbal Review 1 & 2
MGMAT SC (A must have for Non native speakers - I assume you to be one of them)
PowerScore CR Bibile(Which many forum members suggest)

Even I was at level 23 but with the last 2 months practice, I am almost consistent with in ower 30's - but will little more patience and concentration I am sure I can puch the score to upper 30's......

I am sure if you religiously follow these books, a verbal of upper 30's is NOT too far.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 Q51 V23 - How to improve Verbal score? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 09:08
Congratulations buddy, no attempt is a futile attempt. Your Quant is very impressive. However, verbal needs a lot of fine tuning. Manhattan SC is the bible for strategies for the SC questions. Learn them, imbibe them, look for them in every sentence you read and keep practising. Personally, I must have been in the early to mid 20's level when I began my preparation with OG 11 and then OG verbal but by the time I knew of MGMAT SC book, I had exhausted all the OG questions twice. I'd suggest, work away from OG for a while, if you have done that already and come back later. Learn the strategies and use them on 1000 SC for practise.

Kaplan CR and Powerscore CR are both good. Kaplan distinguishes exactly the styles of different arguments, so when you read the stimulus, you know what specimen of which category you are looking at. PowerScore deals strictly with approach. Looking at words to identify certain aspects, among stimulus or the options and everything else etc. I'd suggest to go with Kaplan if you are an able reader or otherwise go with PowerScore if your reading skills are poor and you need someone to spoon-feed you with every trivial thing of the approach. Again, practise on 1000 CR questions, when you think you are doing better, go for LSAT CR, at least I have noticed many members of this club doing that.

For RC, browse a couple of websites that deal with RC strategies. There are not many of them applicable and RC is supposedly the easiest because you should always be able to go back into the passage to find answers.

All the very best, participate more in this forum and do let us know your improvement.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 620 Q51 V23 - How to improve Verbal score? [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 07:28
Thanks a lot for your suggestions!!!

Yes.. I am non native speaker. So I think your suggestions will help me to improve my score.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 Q51 V23 - How to improve Verbal score? [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 23:18
subratanayek wrote:
I appeared for GMAT on last Saturday. I got 620 Q51 V23. I was getting ~30 in Verbal practice tests, but in actual test I did not get that much also.
What should I do to improve Verbal score? Please guide me.

Thanks for your suggestion.

What materials have you used? do you have problems with a particular topic SC, RC, CR? how long does it take you,on average, to answer each type of question? What strategies are you following for each kind of question?
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 Q51 V23 - How to improve Verbal score? [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 10:06
dude, congrats for your Q51.

I took the GMAT a couple of months ago and got Q50. I´m taking it again in 10 days, and want to achieve Q51. Any advice?? What´s the difference between Q50 and Q51??

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: 620 Q51 V23 - How to improve Verbal score?   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2009, 10:06