Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 04:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

620 : Shocked but not defeated

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
620 : Shocked but not defeated [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 22:45
Hi Folks,
I appeared for the GMAT on 16 july and scored a dismal 620 ( 49 24). The only purpose of writing my debrief here despite a pathetic performance is to give my mates a very very strong message especially to all those appearing for the first time.
I kicked off my preparation in Jan this year and studied diligently( atleast the practice test scores reflect so, if not the actual gmat) for last 6 months + with a month of break in between. Having studied for approx. 6 months, I devoted approx. 25-30 hrs each week. My practice tests scores month wise are enumerated below:-
01 Jan 12 Platimum gmat test 600-620 ( Don’t remember the breakdown)
22 Jan MGMAT 1( free one) 710 ( 47 40) without AWA
26 feb GMATPREP 1 690 ( 48 35) - do –
18 Mar MGMAT 1 680(47 35) -do-
25 Mar MGMAT 2 680 (48 34) -do-
16 Apr Powerprep 1 610 ( 50 23) -do-
20 Apr Powerprep 2 760 ( 51 41) -do-
04 May MGMAT 3 740 (50 41) -do-
09 May MGMAT 4 730 ( 50 39) written with IR
27 May MGMAT 5 740 ( 51 40) with essay and IR
10 Jun MGMAT 6 740 ( 51 40) with essay and IR
30 Jun GMATPREP 2 730 ( 50 39) with essay and IR
03-10 july Gmatprep1 & 2 repeated twice 720-750 with essay and IR
16 July ACTUAL CAT 620 ( 49 24)
All the above tests were done in absolutely timed conditions with an effort to replicate the real test conditions.

D DAY
The day before the test I studied for some time but kept myself free for the most of the day, However, on the night leading to the test day, I could not sleep despite my best efforts. During the night, twice the light went off as if it were to further aggravate my sleep problem. Anyways, I had given few practice tests during the times when I was tired the most, so I thought I will cruise the no sleep factor without any major hiccups. My test was scheduled for morning 9, so after numerous unsuccessful attempts to sleep, I left my bed at 7 only to realise that I am having a severe headache.

However, I kept on telling myself that everything is alright and after B’fast, I took two Analgesics to calm down my angry brain. Reached test centre and started off with the test. All this time , I was confident and hopeful that I will be able to overcome the sleep deprivation because I have practiced this contingency during my study schedule. AWA and integrated reasoning were done in no time but the pain started developing again at the end part of IR. Anyways, took the normal break and sat for the quant.
Through out my study, I never faced any problems in quant, however, during the test, I was finding it hard to concentrate. I kept on hitting my head to remain alert and closing my eyes tightly regularly to remain focused, however, I was not at even 50 % of my best. Somehow, finished the quant with 10 mins to spare(generally I finished the practice tests with 20+ mins). By this time , I was totally drained out and the lack of sleep was riding me crazy. Moreover, verbal has traditionally been my weak area so I knew that I have to try really hard to focus. It started, but now repeatedly, I was reading a line again and again but was unable to understand the meaning. The sentences stopped enticing me and the lack of focus was badly taking my performance down. I had no option but to continue somehow and finish the test. This score has left me shattered but there are two inferences out of it esp for first timers
A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP IS A MUST. Rather, the entire long story is about this point.

AVOID TAKING ANY MEDICINES ESP ON THE TEST DAY. I did so without considering the side effects and the result is in front of you people.

Having prepared for this test so hard and for so long, I really felt dejected and defeated but then I have lost only a war, the battle is yet in progress and I hope someday I will.
All the best!

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Last edited by rajeevrks27 on 19 Jul 2012, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 : Shocked but not defeated [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 23:21
This post received
KUDOS
Hey rajeevrks27,

Cheer up.
I've seen your posts here and there in gmatclub. Just looking at your post, I think you are still passionate about the gmat and b-school.

There are more than dozens of people who underperformed the GMAT and are reluctant to tell anyone about it.
I think you've got a solid gut to try until cross 700+.

Let's get'em.

Luck is the additional surplus on the way to one's constant effort.

1 KUDOS received
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 305 [1] , given: 190

Re: 620 : Shocked but not defeated [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 06:45
This post received
KUDOS
Rajeev,

I am struggling big time with GMAT, still would offer my two pence, for what they are worth. Many things may not be applicable to you, but its a summary of what am finding..

- You were probably burnt out by the time you appeared for GMAT. Did you take any leave before GMAT ?

- It looks to me as a STAMINA issue. As the things you are mentioning , reading but not understanding. The point is that one needs to give 10-15 tests with IR + Essay to really dominate the GMAT.

- Believe one should a predefined process for each type of CR/RC problems. For SC also one should have an overall process of attack, in case one fails to identify error quickly.

- Mixed questions of SC/CR/RC also causes stress in the exam. Grockit can be helpful here.

- Did you use any error logs. Like this guys error log (the detailed documentation in the link below).

http://www.beatthegmat.com/awa-5-5-6-ir ... 13766.html

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

1 KUDOS received
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 620 : Shocked but not defeated [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 03:55
This post received
KUDOS
Don't loose your patience... i have seen your contributions to GC.

You seem to have nailed it, but sometimes there are bad days... and it was one of those

all the best

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q40 V38
GMAT 3: 630 Q40 V36
GMAT 4: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.81
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 33

Re: 620 : Shocked but not defeated [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 04:32
This post received
KUDOS
Rajeev,

Don't lost faith. You will make it! I agree 100% with OasisGC's comments. Clearly, your practice test scores show that you can do it. You just had a bad day. I also agree very much with Kaps07's comments. I would recommend booking your next appointment for the time of day that your mind tends to work at it's best. That may be late afternoon or evening. I think I will take this advise also for next time.

I do have a question for you. Actually, this question is to both help you and me. I noticed that in your practice tests scores you broke through the 700 barrier during the month of April. Then, from that point forward your scores stayed above 700. What changed during April that your scores improved so much? Was there something in particular that you were studying, or otherwise doing in April that this improvement is attributed to?

I am guessing Jeff's practice sets helped here, but I am not sure.

I wish I had your quantitative scores, they are excellant! But, I am working on it.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

Re: 620 : Shocked but not defeated [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 21:48
Hey Rajeev,

Sorry to hear about your problems on the D Day. If possible book the evening slot for your retry. I was forced to choose 5 PM slot for my exam because none was available at 9 AM and guess what, it was a blessing in disguise. I have never been nerveous about exams but night before GMAT I had real trouble sleeping for no apparent reasons. I think it is subconsious thing that happens sometime and it is hard to control. Your mock results suggest that you can get much better on real GMAT so just retake and good luck !
Director
Director

Re: 620 : Shocked but not defeated [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 01:16
@ uledssul Thanx for ur motivational words...yeah let's get the desired score..
@ AbhiJ .. Buddy, I've given more than 14 practice tests however only 6 or 7 of them were complete 4 hrs tasking and the rest were without the AWA and IR. I will surely incorporate this time. Also, I did used the error log and revised it regularly. Thanx for ur suggestions.
@ Kaps07...Man, ur a motivational pill. I read ur debrief and it says how amazing you are. I'll be giving the test next time during either afternoon hours or evening hours.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Director
Director

Re: 620 : Shocked but not defeated [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 19:06
@rsampson, thanx for ur encouraging words buddy. Regarding the jump in scores during the April month, I think the reason is that i completed all the concept books in march beginning and thereafter practiced a lot here. So that could be the reason. I would love to trade ur verbal score for my quant ...
Rick, The race is long but we have to finish it winningly...
@OasisGC...yeah buddy, there is no other option for me but to nail it.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 620 : Shocked but not defeated [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 20:47
Hi Rajeev,

It was the same case with me. 6 months preparation and my practice tests score were similar to the ones you had mentioned. I had booked for the evening slot.
I took the test before IR. June 1, 5 PM was the slot. It was my first attempt. I never thought of such a dismal one. It was just 540. I felt the same as what you had mentioned. I read the lines..again n again...but somehow lost. I am totally shattered and after that never touched my books still... Its so disheartening after solid preparation and used to seeing decent scores before the real exam.
I had taken a career break for this. I was pretty confident during the exam but till today I don't know what happened on that day. Definitely it was not even 50% of my usual performance. I dint take any medicines but still I felt the same things you had mentioned.

I know I should get back to my preparation but I would appreciate some proper guidance and advice from seniors.

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V25
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 620 : Shocked but not defeated [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 18:50
I dont want to eat into this thread, but I can sympathize with what Rajeev must be going through. Even I appeared for my test yesterday, and man ... it was kind of devastating. Worst that where I had started (Got a 610(QA-48 and VA-25). Probably it was just a little of over-confidence to kill it.

After all its not that easy as we take it to be.
But in last 24 hours, I have read much more posts here than I did in last 2 months of my prep. I know I had hurried thinking that if my friends can I
also can.

Good that I realized it with this mistake, that you need to commit yourself thoroughly to achieve a feat :)

I am all prepared to restart my preparation after a break. Only thing that worries me again and again is that if it can happen with someone like you who gave it 6 months, what if it happens again with me.

But then it should not a deterrent. Hopefully we both will kill it in our next shot.

Cheers !!

I can and I will !!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 : Shocked but not defeated [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 22:59
Rajeev,
Guess it was that analgesic that brought you down
Trust that you will do better next time and here's wishing you all the best, and as Kaps07 says book an evening slot .
Your cat scores seems good, 730 on a MGMAT is a sign that you can expect +/-30 points atleast on the real one.

I took a look at your RC startegies.Which one did u use on the GMAT?
How was your accuracy intially with the method?
Re: 620 : Shocked but not defeated   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2012, 22:59