Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 22:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

620 to 590 to 580 today... another failure story

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 28

620 to 590 to 580 today... another failure story [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 05:58
Hi all,

I have just taken the GMAT and scored a 580 (Q47, V23). I couldn't believe it my eyes when the score popped up. The verbal score is much lower than I have ever expected. My previous Manhattan CAT scores are 680, 630, 650, 670, and 690. I know MGMAT CATs may not reflect my ability level, but the gap between my practice test scores and my real score is too big. Given my practice test scores, I am confident to get at least 650 on the real exam.

Regarding the quant section, the questions are really tough compared to Manhattan quant section. I remembered facing some word translation problems that I didn't understand the questions (I'm a non-native speaker). I also got stumped by some geometry questions relating to coordinate system and radius of a sphere. I had to blindly guessed in those situations. Overall, the quant went well and I know that my quant level fluctuates around 47-48.

RC is a monster -- I got 4 passages, 2 are long and 2 are short. A long passage consists of 5 questions and is really tricky. I have many inference questions in RC section. CR and SC are in line with what I have practiced. Well, I am really confused about my score and don't understand why I scored too low in verbal... I have exhausted the available resources: MGMAT SC guide, CR Powerscore bible. I also did some LSAT passages in my preparation. I believe that I get all the resources necessary to score at least 650. Despite my effort, diligence, and sacrifice, it doesn't work out.

I am confused whether I should retake GMAT the 4th time or go ahead with my current highest score (620). I am sorry that this post doesn't sound positive, but GMAT turns me to an idiot who is scoring at the high 500s and cannot break through the mid 600s. I know I am not too smart but can't believe i can be this stupid...

There can be Miracles when you believe

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 620 to 590 to 580 today... another failure story [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 09:50
windofchange wrote:
Hi all,

I have just taken the GMAT and scored a 580 (Q47, V23). I couldn't believe it my eyes when the score popped up. The verbal score is much lower than I have ever expected. My previous Manhattan CAT scores are 680, 630, 650, 670, and 690. I know MGMAT CATs may not reflect my ability level, but the gap between my practice test scores and my real score is too big. Given my practice test scores, I am confident to get at least 650 on the real exam.

Regarding the quant section, the questions are really tough compared to Manhattan quant section. I remembered facing some word translation problems that I didn't understand the questions (I'm a non-native speaker). I also got stumped by some geometry questions relating to coordinate system and radius of a sphere. I had to blindly guessed in those situations. Overall, the quant went well and I know that my quant level fluctuates around 47-48.

RC is a monster -- I got 4 passages, 2 are long and 2 are short. A long passage consists of 5 questions and is really tricky. I have many inference questions in RC section. CR and SC are in line with what I have practiced. Well, I am really confused about my score and don't understand why I scored too low in verbal... I have exhausted the available resources: MGMAT SC guide, CR Powerscore bible. I also did some LSAT passages in my preparation. I believe that I get all the resources necessary to score at least 650. Despite my effort, diligence, and sacrifice, it doesn't work out.

I am confused whether I should retake GMAT the 4th time or go ahead with my current highest score (620). I am sorry that this post doesn't sound positive, but GMAT turns me to an idiot who is scoring at the high 500s and cannot break through the mid 600s. I know I am not too smart but can't believe i can be this stupid...

How much were you getting on GMATPrep tests? AND yes. You are right about RC. It was a monster indeed. Inference questions and also strenghthen/assumptions questions. Getting all these types in a single test is the worst that can happen.
Intern
Intern

Re: 620 to 590 to 580 today... another failure story [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 10:48
Looks like Oct 11 has been a bad day for many of us!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Economics
Schools: CBS '14 (S)
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
GPA: 3.81
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 620 to 590 to 580 today... another failure story [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 12:57
I really believe in MGMAT's verbal preparation materials (V45 here - 99%). While I did self-study (going through all of the MGMAT guides, the Official Guide, and the Verbal Guide), it might be worth your while to invest in a live prep program or a personal tutor. While they are expensive, they would be a could change of strategy for you. If you live in the NYC area, check out what MGMAT has to offer.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: 620 to 590 to 580 today... another failure story [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 16:30
I wonder if this makes a difference:

did you click on your answer multiple times?
A co-worker got a score recently that's over 100 points below his previous real test score.

He said that one time, he clicked on an answer a 2nd time and the selection dot went away. That's of course not the behavior of a typical computer "radio button". The software would catch it before letting him confirm a blank answer but you have to wonder...

He later did it on other questions as well. I've seen this guy read computer text and he highlights random text so clicking on an answer multiple times is an understandable fidgeting move for him.

He tried contacting PearsonVue/GMAC but he said he got a couple of service reps who didn't speak english (outsourced support).
Intern
Intern

Re: 620 to 590 to 580 today... another failure story [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 20:39
I am very sorry about your GMAT experience. You should take a break for at least 1 week before thinking of retaking.

G'luck!
Manager
Manager

Re: 620 to 590 to 580 today... another failure story [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 20:46
ajaynapa wrote:
How much were you getting on GMATPrep tests? AND yes. You are right about RC. It was a monster indeed. Inference questions and also strenghthen/assumptions questions. Getting all these types in a single test is the worst that can happen.

Hi!

Thanks for your response. During my preparation this time, I didn't take any GPrep tests as many problems are familiar (I have given the GMAT twice), so the GPrep test score is skewed. My last GPrep score is 750!

By the way, I have read your debrief and am so sorry that you did not get your desired score. Actually 660 is a good score itself I think. You may want to retake b/c your GPrep test scores are constantly high.

All the best. :)

Manager
Manager

Re: 620 to 590 to 580 today... another failure story [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 20:51
shmba2014 wrote:
I really believe in MGMAT's verbal preparation materials (V45 here - 99%). While I did self-study (going through all of the MGMAT guides, the Official Guide, and the Verbal Guide), it might be worth your while to invest in a live prep program or a personal tutor. While they are expensive, they would be a could change of strategy for you. If you live in the NYC area, check out what MGMAT has to offer.

Thanks for your input. I am not living in the US so I can't register for MGMAT prep course.
Anyways, you are absolutely correct about changing the strategy. Thers's something wrong with my current approach, so I need to figure out what went wrong and take action accordingly.

V45 is really impressive! Are you a native speaker? Would you mind sharing your strategy to crack the verbal section?

Manager
Manager

Re: 620 to 590 to 580 today... another failure story [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 20:55
sda wrote:
I wonder if this makes a difference:

did you click on your answer multiple times?
A co-worker got a score recently that's over 100 points below his previous real test score.

He said that one time, he clicked on an answer a 2nd time and the selection dot went away. That's of course not the behavior of a typical computer "radio button". The software would catch it before letting him confirm a blank answer but you have to wonder...

He later did it on other questions as well. I've seen this guy read computer text and he highlights random text so clicking on an answer multiple times is an understandable fidgeting move for him.

He tried contacting PearsonVue/GMAC but he said he got a couple of service reps who didn't speak english (outsourced support).

I didn't get this experience -- I clicked on my answer choice 1 time only. :) The computer worked excellently and another question popped up immediately after I chose "Next" button.

Intern
Intern

Re: 620 to 590 to 580 today... another failure story [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 21:59
windofchange wrote:
ajaynapa wrote:

Hi!

Thanks for your response. During my preparation this time, I didn't take any GPrep tests as many problems are familiar (I have given the GMAT twice), so the GPrep test score is skewed. My last GPrep score is 750!

By the way, I have read your debrief and am so sorry that you did not get your desired score. Actually 660 is a good score itself I think. You may want to retake b/c your GPrep test scores are constantly high.

All the best. :)

660 is a decent score. But i'm looking to apply in india where the colleges that take GMAT require a minimum 690 (in this case you must have an excellent profile). Something over 700 should put me in a good position. And also considering the fact that I was constantly getting over 700 I must give it a try once again. Probably yesterday was a bad day! I didnt follow my timing strategy during the actual test. I think I must work more on my strategy now. Anyways, I'm retaking it on 29 Nov. I have a good 6 weeks to put things back together.
Manager
Manager

Re: 620 to 590 to 580 today... another failure story [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 08:23
ajaynapa wrote:

660 is a decent score. But i'm looking to apply in india where the colleges that take GMAT require a minimum 690 (in this case you must have an excellent profile). Something over 700 should put me in a good position. And also considering the fact that I was constantly getting over 700 I must give it a try once again. Probably yesterday was a bad day! I didnt follow my timing strategy during the actual test. I think I must work more on my strategy now. Anyways, I'm retaking it on 29 Nov. I have a good 6 weeks to put things back together.

Ok I see.
What is your weak area? Mine is CR ans RC. I found the strategy to crack these areas and did the practice problems to get myself familiarized with the strategy. I think I have made much progress in verbal and was confident that I can get at least 30 points in verbal, but.... :(

If I were to retake, I should find out the strategy and do something different from what I did this time. I am still stuck and don't know how to improve my score :(. Just need a break and focus on other application components. Retaking seems not to be a good decision to me now.

From my observation, you have the potential to break 700+. Wish you all the best!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: 620 to 590 to 580 today... another failure story [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 10:07
Hi

I don't knw if this will help you but consider giving GMATPrep mocks only. I think MGMAT verbal is easier than GMATPrep Verbal. I am also taking GMATPrep mocks again & again. & trust me I see new questions every time except 2-3 on verbal (I have taken GMAT 1 fr 4-5 times till now). If u wanna knw ur true score on verbal, give GMATprep mocks rather than any other tests. :)

Regards,
asunshine
Manager
Manager

Re: 620 to 590 to 580 today... another failure story [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 19:22
asunshine wrote:
Hi

I don't knw if this will help you but consider giving GMATPrep mocks only. I think MGMAT verbal is easier than GMATPrep Verbal. I am also taking GMATPrep mocks again & again. & trust me I see new questions every time except 2-3 on verbal (I have taken GMAT 1 fr 4-5 times till now). If u wanna knw ur true score on verbal, give GMATprep mocks rather than any other tests. :)

Regards,
asunshine

Hi asunshine

Thanks for your advice. I know that MGMAT verbal is not GMAT-like, but so far it's the most reliable tool I can use to measure my ability level. I have exhausted GPrep problems, especially verbal questions and my GPrep verbal score is skewed (my last score is V40!) Repeating GPrep test is not a good idea b/c that may create a false confidence :lol:

Re: 620 to 590 to 580 today... another failure story   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2011, 19:22