Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 19:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

620 to 700 - Bittersweet Journey

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

620 to 700 - Bittersweet Journey [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2009, 12:16
Just took a 2nd hit at it. Got a 700 (Q44, V41). First attempt 620 (Q42, V34). Took 2 extra months to prepare.

Happy, but not satisfied. Could have gotten more if I had math under control. I have always been weak at math. Not my natural thing. Oh well, I will have to go with it.

Do's That WILL save your life:

1. Sentence Correction: MGMAT SC
2. GMAT Prep and OG. The only thing that will REALLY, REALLY help you.
3. Milk out every Gmat prep Qs you can find in forums - anywhere, everywhere. You MUST GET USED TO THE STYLE. You will not find it anywhere else. I am sorry if anyone else tries to convince you otherwise.
4. Most importantly, take the test ONLY WHEN YOU ARE READY.

I was not ready the first time. That's why I screwed it up. Could have easily reached 720+ today, only if I had not wasted too much time on 2 quant questions. Totally messed up my timing.

Do's that will NOT save your life:

1. GMAT Club Tests: Good for practice, but does not help you get used to the kind of language and style that appear on the real thing. Sorry BB.
2. MGMAT Tests: Super tough, not worth it. Feel free to use it as practice. But again, do not depend on it.

Remember -
Real GMAT is not very different from the GMAT Prep CDs. The level is the same. No difference. So do not believe anyone who says that it has gotten tougher. It has not.

If you guys have specific questions, feel free to ask me.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 620 to 700 - Bittersweet Journey [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2009, 12:48
hi,

great to see that you improved your score. from reading your debrief, it seems that you were incorrectly relying on the MGMAT and the GMAT club tests to be indicators of the actual GMAT. i think the point of these 2 types of tests is to better condition you and to serve as ways to improve speed, as opposed to what you posted, which is that they are poor indicators of the actual test (this we can all agree on).

certainly, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, however, so it may be that some might find these tools useful, and others (like yourself) might not. with that said, i think you would be in the extreme minority by advocating that people stay away from the MGMAT and the GMAT club tests.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: 620 to 700 - Bittersweet Journey [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2009, 13:19
Hi Shadowsjc,

I am not advocating that people stay away from the Gmat Club Tests or the MGMAT. I just said that one should not depend on them. And I believe I did clearly mention that they are good for practice.

I did spend a lot of time on the Gmat Club tests, but after going through all the tests, primarily Quant (and I am not an expert in Quant at all, as you can see from my score). But I personally feel that the tests that are available outside the Gmat Prep do not enable the test taker to really understand the style of the questions that actually appear on the actual Gmat. The actual Gmat questions are very tricky and need to be understood very well before being solved. And that is the key to doing well in the Gmat - both in Quant and Verbal. Unfortunately, for me, I felt that the 'style' (i.e., language, vernaculars, etc) in which questions are presented outside of the actual Gmat may not contribute much to the preparation. It is extremely important to condition the test taker in this manner.

In my opinion, this could be taken as feedback to "refurnish" the available questions available in the challenges. The questions are good, no doubt, but it would be much more helpful to word the questions in the manner they are presented in the actual Gmat. After all, I am a customer of the product, and this is my feedback on the product.

shadowsjc wrote:
hi,

great to see that you improved your score. from reading your debrief, it seems that you were incorrectly relying on the MGMAT and the GMAT club tests to be indicators of the actual GMAT. i think the point of these 2 types of tests is to better condition you and to serve as ways to improve speed, as opposed to what you posted, which is that they are poor indicators of the actual test (this we can all agree on).

certainly, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, however, so it may be that some might find these tools useful, and others (like yourself) might not. with that said, i think you would be in the extreme minority by advocating that people stay away from the MGMAT and the GMAT club tests.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

Re: 620 to 700 - Bittersweet Journey [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2009, 17:16
proych:

Great job!! 80 point improvement is really great.
I understand you could have gotten 20 more if not due to those 2Q qns but 700 is good, it proves that you are in the top percentile group. I mean your application will not be rejected just due to your score. So, you are pretty safe here.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 to 700 - Bittersweet Journey [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2009, 20:10
congrats and best wishes for your apps.
I am doing gmat club tests after doing the gmat prep1 and OG. I have left the gmat prep2 for later. But your input provide useful feedback on gmat club tests.

I do think that gmat club math tests provide useful practice. Their explanations have also provided me quicker ways of attacking the problem. I did see some difference between the questions from gmat prep and OG; but could not tell what it was. Perhaps it is the style as you have pointed out.

Did you keep track of your gmat club test scores (# of correct and %ile)? If you could post, it would be great.

proych wrote:
Just took a 2nd hit at it. Got a 700 (Q44, V41). First attempt 620 (Q42, V34). Took 2 extra months to prepare.

Happy, but not satisfied. Could have gotten more if I had math under control. I have always been weak at math. Not my natural thing. Oh well, I will have to go with it.

3. Milk out every Gmat prep Qs you can find in forums - anywhere, everywhere. You MUST GET USED TO THE STYLE. You will not find it anywhere else. I am sorry if anyone else tries to convince you otherwise.

I was not ready the first time. That's why I screwed it up. Could have easily reached 720+ today, only if I had not wasted too much time on 2 quant questions. Totally messed up my timing.

1. GMAT Club Tests: Good for practice, but does not help you get used to the kind of language and style that appear on the real thing. Sorry BB.
2. MGMAT Tests: Super tough, not worth it. Feel free to use it as practice. But again, do not depend on it.

Remember -
Real GMAT is not very different from the GMAT Prep CDs. The level is the same. No difference. So do not believe anyone who says that it has gotten tougher. It has not.

-----------------------
tusharvk

Intern
Intern

Re: 620 to 700 - Bittersweet Journey [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2009, 10:20
Hi Tusharvk -

I did take all the Gmat Club Challenges but I have to get back into each of my tests to tell you how much I got in each. But I would estimate my average to be 30 and range 26-33.

After a while of working on the Challenges, I started to find them quite easy overall. In fact, I found GPrep tougher because the way the questions are worded, some questions may get a little tough to comprehend in 1 read under 5 secs. That is why I have been stressing that it is of utmost importance to get used to the official Gmat questions. I wish I had spent a greater proportion of my time on the Official Quant Qs.

G'luck.

tusharvk wrote:
congrats and best wishes for your apps.
I am doing gmat club tests after doing the gmat prep1 and OG. I have left the gmat prep2 for later. But your input provide useful feedback on gmat club tests.

I do think that gmat club math tests provide useful practice. Their explanations have also provided me quicker ways of attacking the problem. I did see some difference between the questions from gmat prep and OG; but could not tell what it was. Perhaps it is the style as you have pointed out.

Did you keep track of your gmat club test scores (# of correct and %ile)? If you could post, it would be great.

proych wrote:

Remember -

Re: 620 to 700 - Bittersweet Journey   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2009, 10:20