Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2015, 12:03
GMAT Club Tests

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

620 to 710 in One Month

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

620 to 710 in One Month [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 15:07
This post was
My GMAT history
Oct 31 -> 620 (Q46 V30)
Today -> 710 (Q49 V38) -> 94%

Here is my post when I received 620.

I remember that day as one of the worst in a long time. However, after reading several posts on this forum, I mustered enough courage to take the test again. Last night I was extremely nervous, but I was able to put my fear away.

Again the questions were very basic. But I had trouble generating enough ideas for the analysis of an issue essay... even though the stimulus was quite trivial.

During the actual test, I felt that I was receiving many more difficult questions then my previous test. I received 2 combination questions and one probability question very early on; I believe question 3 and 4 were both combinations and 7 was a probability. In addition, I found the DS to be very wordy and complicated. I was starting to run short on time around question 20 and I increased my speed generating solutions. No time to second guess or check. The last question was so incredibly easy that I was concerned that I had really screw up on the entire section. Many of the questions I was not 100% sure that I had the correct answer... more like 70-80% sure.....
Nevertheless, I vowed not to let this section affect my verbal. During my past exam, this is exactly what happened, and the result was a poor verbal score.

Again, I found this section to be very challenging compared with my past test. Question 1 and 2 were SC, question 3 was CR and question 4-8 was a long RC. I then had one SC and one CR followed by a short RC. I believe this trend is similar to what others had seen and disclosed in this forum. Two early RCs may indicate you are doing reasonably well. Overall I found the SCs to be more difficult than OG but similar to GMATPrep. Nevertheless, if you have a good fundamental understanding on how to solve SCs then you should be able to get through most of it. The RCs were fairly easy and this is where I believe I increased my overall score. Staying calm on the RCs and trying to understand the passage makes a HUGE difference then skimming the passage for main ideas, the strategy promoted by many test preps. The CRs, I found, were moderately more challenging than OG. However, this could be the fact that I hate reading of the computer screen and have to work overtime just to understand the stimulus.

Overall, I felt I did poorly on the exam. However, I took the chance and reported my score. I did this because I didn't want to study the GMAT anymore!!!! Luckily, I received a good score! Now I definitely don't have to take the GMAT again. As many people have already said, this forum is an extremely valuable resource. I cannot stress the importance of this forum because it really helped me to believe that the GMAT can be mastered. Without all the wonderful stories of perseverance, I would have given up a long time ago. Thank you everyone for the help!!!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 15:18
CONGRATULATIONS rigger!!! you did it!

please share what you did to improve your verbal score significantly. I am in the same boat as you were a month back :lol:

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 15:48
Hey Rigger!! You did it man!
I remember you didn't waste anytime in getting back to practice. Your hardwork and persistence have definitely paid off! Congratulations!
This great score plus your background (i read sometime back in one of the other sub-forums) should get you to any top school! Wish you the best and Good Luck!
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 21:48
Congratulations to you, buddy~! :wink: I'm really impressed by your extra cirriculum records!!!! :shock:
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2005, 10:08
Congrats buddy

you did it. your hard work finally paid off. Good luck on you application process.

hey ya......

Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2005, 16:44
congrats rig

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2005, 19:15
Yeah! That's great man, Congratulations!!!
Very good score! :-D

Good luck with apps...

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Great Job!!! [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2005, 20:04
Great score and great job of increasing your score so quickly, can you share any study tips that helped you increase your score???

Thanks in advance!

Napoleon : Victory belongs to the most persevering!!!

Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2005, 20:07
Way to go rigger! That`s a huge jump in such a short period of time! :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2005, 21:15
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the encouragement and support. Everyone in this forum has been great! For those who are interested, here is my strategy leading up to test day:

Study Material Used

I redid parts of the OG such as the SC and RC. From my previous test, I realized my weakness was SC and RC. I spent about a week completing the entire SC section and select passages in the RC section. My biggest problem, through my self-assesment, was rushing through problems and hopping for the best. I realized if I spent an "extra minute" thinking about each question, my success rate dramatically increased. This time around I thoroughly engage every problem.

I complete several test (again) to improve my confidence and speed. Here are my results:

Kap1: 620
Kap2: 590
Kap3: 640

Prince1: 620
Pricne2: 695
Prince3: 695

PP1: 750
PP2: 770

GMATPrep1: 730
GMATPrep2: 730

I believe the content contained in Princeton Review and Kaplan are not representative of the real test. However, the test allow you to build endurance for the real deal. In addition, I found the PowerPrep to be easier and a lot easier after completing the OG. The GMATPrep was a little more challenging. I believe the GMATPrep is a fairly good predictor of what you will actually score during the test.

Study Time

I studied about 2 hours per night during the weekdays and 3 hours a day during the weekend. Actually many of the evenings and weekends, I spent writing my essays and filling out the application forms. Two weeks before my actualy test date, I had to travel for business. The week prior to the test, I was jet-lagged and tired so I didn't study at all. Only the night before the test, I reviewed my error-log.

Some quick pointers:

(1) A high GMAT score is achieveable if you want it bad enough.
(2) Don't feel bad if you have to retake a test. Not everyone can be perfect.
(3) Don't over study and use irrelevant material
(4) Relax during the test.
(5) REMEMBER, the answer is right in front of you.

I am going to stick around, so if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

cheers [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2005, 22:59
cheers for rigger :musband

congrats dude..good score..and great determination !!!!

"Nothing is Impossible"

Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What is GMATPrep? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2005, 21:33
everyone on this forum talks about the GMATPrep , PP etc .I could figure that PP is the power prep tests available from the site , what is GMATPrep and how can one get it?? please help

many thanks
What is GMATPrep?   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2005, 21:33