Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 23:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

620 what's the best school i can get into?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

620 what's the best school i can get into? [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2007, 11:12
I'm white w/ avg. everything... What are the best schools i can get into?

Ty
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2007, 11:19
Go on businessweek and search for programs you can sort them by average GMAT scores. If you are totally average with nothing interesting to say then its a roll of the dice. There are so many schools out there that have MBA programs you are better off doing research, picking some schools, and then asking if you have a shot than getting list from people on here.

With no info besides your GMAT no one is going to be able to help you really. Only you know what part of the country you want to be in, what your career goal is, how the rest of your profile stacks up. You may see yourself as average and you may or maynot be. Give more details and you may get more help.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2007, 14:18
Based on your limited info provided, I would say that you would have a good shot at schools ranked 30-50, and you should throw in some reach schools around 20-30.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2007, 14:28
johnnyx9 wrote:
Based on your limited info provided, I would say that you would have a good shot at schools ranked 30-50, and you should throw in some reach schools around 20-30.

30-50 have averages around 640-660 and its kinda late to apply now
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2007, 14:36
I'm a sophmore...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2007, 14:56
In college?? Mean age of people accepted these days is 27 at most schools. Wait a few years, train more for the GMAT, and when you're ready you'll be able to get into somewhere even better.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2007, 15:10
sludge wrote:
In college?? Mean age of people accepted these days is 27 at most schools. Wait a few years, train more for the GMAT, and when you're ready you'll be able to get into somewhere even better.

I agree. Your score will have expired by the time you're ready to apply.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1530 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2007, 17:36
Rsmith0087 wrote:
I'm a sophmore...

I say this with the utmost respect.... You aren't ready for an MBA. Most programs expect students with a minimum of 3 years experience - unless they are truly exceptional in some way. By your own admission, that wasn't you.

By the time you are ready - in 4 to 5 years minimum - you score will have expired anyway, or will be on the edge of expiration. Moreover, given the trends -- a 620 in 5 years may well be what a 580 is today. Who knows, maybe 750 becomes the new 700. At the very least, expect even higher scores as the averages.

That said, you are in a better position that almost anyone here ever was. You describe yourself as average but you have the benefit of knowing that YEARS AND YEARS before you apply. Unlike most applicants who have maybe one year to try and beef up their profile, you have half a decade to shape your profile and change that from average to extraordinary. Most applicants, myself included, would have killed to know what I would have needed to worry about 8 years later....
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2007, 18:04
I'm applying to Alabama. For my work experience im a real-estate agent and i'm buying a second home w/in the month. By the time my senior year rolls around i should have more than enough expierence to atleast say i've worked 1-2yrs at a qualified profession.

The reason why im going into the MBA program is bc i hate the idea of going into the workforce after going to U of A - I read an article saying that a MBA from a tier 2 school is the equivalent of getting an undergrad degree at a Tier 1 school; as of right now i would agree w/ that statment. U of A has been a breeze my High school courses were harder then the courses i have taken thus far at U of A.. I guess i'll always be one step below u guys...

Ty for your input guys...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2007, 18:37
Honestly, most schools don't put a lot of stock in work experience during college, especially if its something that you dont need your degree to do. You may be a real estate agent but that doesnt require a college degree and they wont care if you own one, two, or three houses...unless you have a large real estate portfolio of rental properties you manage as a company that doesnt mean much.

You are far better off working for 3 years, doing some very unique ECs, being very involved, study hard for the GMAT and aim high. Then apply to top 20 schools which you could easily groom yourself into a solid candidate for. With the knowledge that you want an MBA and what schools look for you have a HUGE advantage with making yourself into an ideal candidate no matter what your undergrad. People get into Harvard from no name schools, its just they have a very good profile besides their undergrad brand name. Study hard get a high GPA and do well on the GMAT and it will go a long way to proving you can cut the academics at any schools program and then have a profile that is well rounded and NOT average. Then apply to better schools than you have a good chance of getting into right out of school. Look on the MBA page of the school you want to go to, see if they have career placement stats, assume you will be on the low end since you have no prior experience. Then look at a top 20 school which you would have a good shot at if you prep yourself for it for the next 5 years. The difference over your lifetime could mean more money and career opportunities than you can imagine.

I am sure that the majority of people on this board are going to tell you to put off your MBA until you are 25-26 and have worked for several years. Without prior work experience an MBA from a Tier 2 school is only going to provide you so much. You will be competing for jobs when companies visit campus against people with more work experience, thus stronger resumes. Look at the top schools and see how many kids right out of school go there, you can count them on one hand and there is a reason for that. Its not law school, MBAs are designed for people with real world post-undergrad experience.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2007, 21:41
Finish school, get a job, work for a few years and retake the GMAT. Assuming you are in your early 20s, with some strategic planning you can aim for any school that fits your career interests.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2007, 07:26
Rsmith0087 wrote:
I'm applying to Alabama. For my work experience im a real-estate agent and i'm buying a second home w/in the month. By the time my senior year rolls around i should have more than enough expierence to atleast say i've worked 1-2yrs at a qualified profession.

The reason why im going into the MBA program is bc i hate the idea of going into the workforce after going to U of A - I read an article saying that a MBA from a tier 2 school is the equivalent of getting an undergrad degree at a Tier 1 school; as of right now i would agree w/ that statment. U of A has been a breeze my High school courses were harder then the courses i have taken thus far at U of A.. I guess i'll always be one step below u guys...

Ty for your input guys...

I can tell you first hand that schools weigh work expereince during school a lot less heavily than W/E post grad. I applied this year to 6 schools and was accepted by two. The higher ranked programs, I really feel that my W/E during school was discounted because it was not post grad. If I am not mistaken this is due to the fact that the reported W/E to ranking institutions (US News ,BW...) is post grad W/E. And, my W/E I feel is about as extensive as you get during college, I opened and managed a restaurant with an annual revenue of 5.2 million. So, as every one else in the forum is advising you, go to work for three years or so and then apply. You are in a great position knowing that you want to get an MBA, I decided around October of last year. So take the advantage over people like me and get involved with community service, mentoring, etc...things that H/S love to see. And by the time you get out of school and are ready to apply, re-take the GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2007, 07:46
Why don't you just transfer to a Tier 1 undergrad program? If you are only a sophomore, it isn't too late.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2007, 08:39
Transfer to a tier 1... idk if it's that simple. Like i mentioned once i get my mba i'll have the equivalent of a tier 1 undergrad degree. All i want is to be ahead of the pack... In addition i own my house i don't think it would be cost feasible in the short/long run to transfer or go to another school.

And in alabama's case work experience doesn't matter too much i believe are avg. age is 23 for our masters programs... which is quite low.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2007, 10:10
IHATEMELGIBSON1 wrote:
johnnyx9 wrote:

30-50 have averages around 640-660 and its kinda late to apply now

Right, and with averages like that, someone with a 620 would have a good chance of getting in.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2007, 15:47
Concentrate on getting a good internship which will help you get a good job which will help you get into a good bschool.
  [#permalink] 10 Jun 2007, 15:47