Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

630- > 700 (My 5th attempt)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 76 [5] , given: 12

630- > 700 (My 5th attempt) [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 21:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
630(Q49,V27),630(Q49,V27),660(Q49,V31),660(Q49,V31),->700.Today I wrote my GMAT for the 5th time. Yes for the 5th time and scored 700(Q50, V34). I gave my 1st Exam GMAT Exam last year in May and scored a dismissive 630. From May 2012 to September 16th 2013 it has been a long and tiresome journey. My bête noir is the verbal section. I was never good in CR, SC or RC. Nevertheless I never lost hope and whenever I did I read debriefs on Gmatclub to give me strength and hope to carry on just one more time. Cutting to the chase, the material I used in order of its usefulness to me:

1) OG 13, GMAT verbal review. -> Best Books. Period.
2) MGMAT Strategy guides-> nothing more could be said about them.
3) Aristotle sentence correction for SC.
4) VERITAS prep Math book for Probability and combinatorics.
5) Kaplan Verbal review
6) E-gmat Verbal Course-> a lot has been said about it. But honestly, it’s a bit overrated. If you have done the above books, I don’t think you need it.

Things that I observed on the way:

1) NEVER GIVE UP. Be Sincere. I know its treatise but I watched a lot of motivational videos to keep my going. Always remember when things get tough, the tough gets going. AND you are tough.
2) Pick up a time and date that fits your schedule. You will be exhausted during the marathon journey so pick your best time to fight the enemy.
3) Don’t worry about the level of questions that you are facing. Just keep your head straight and do the job. I have done that in my previous attempts and despite being good in quant I never broke the 49 mark till today, when I just focused on the job.
4) If you are good in Quant, dedicate your time mastering the SC and CR concepts in manhattan and practice the exercises in the guides and try to remember the pattern of errors. For RC , I didn’t worry too much. I noticed few methodologies that are there in strategy guide but my hand writing is so bad that even I can’t read it back after I write it. :) . I decide that I wouldn't worry too much about taking notes; I kept reading as long as I am able to comprehend the passage. That worked okay for me.
If you have time, watch Thursday’s with Ron, it’s a good resource but takes up quite a bit of time.

Good luck Amigos!

I will be happy to answer questions.
Regards,
Bluelagoon.
(PS : You can notice how grammatically incorrect the above debrief is :lol: so if i can score 700, so can you :) )
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 12

Re: 630- > 700 (My 5th attempt) [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 22:58
Lobster wrote:
Never quit, that's about it! Congrat on your score!

If you are given 3 months of prep while working 40hrs full time, how would you plan your prep differently?

Take a test and find out your strength and weakness so that you can gauge how much efforts are needed and where they are needed.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 630- > 700 (My 5th attempt) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 02:29
Bluelagoon wrote:
630(Q49,V27),630(Q49,V27),660(Q49,V31),660(Q49,V31),->700.Today I wrote my GMAT for the 5th time. Yes for the 5th time and scored 700(Q50, V34). I gave my 1st Exam GMAT Exam last year in May and scored a dismissive 630. From May 2012 to September 16th 2013 it has been a long and tiresome journey. My bête noir is the verbal section. I was never good in CR, SC or RC. Nevertheless I never lost hope and whenever I did I read debriefs on Gmatclub to give me strength and hope to carry on just one more time. Cutting to the chase, the material I used in order of its usefulness to me:

5) Kaplan Verbal review
6) E-gmat Verbal Course-> a lot has been said about it. But honestly, it’s a bit overrated. If you have done the above books, I don’t think you need it.

1) NEVER GIVE UP. Be Sincere. I know its treatise but I watched a lot of motivational videos to keep my going. Always remember when things get tough, the tough gets going. AND you are tough.
2) Pick up a time and date that fits your schedule. You will be exhausted during the marathon journey so pick your best time to fight the enemy.
3) Don’t worry about the level of questions that you are facing. Just keep your head straight and do the job. I have done that in my previous attempts and despite being good in quant I never broke the 49 mark till today, when I just focused on the job.
4) If you are good in Quant, dedicate your time mastering the SC and CR concepts in manhattan and practice the exercises in the guides and try to remember the pattern of errors. For RC , I didn’t worry too much. I noticed few methodologies that are there in strategy guide but my hand writing is so bad that even I can’t read it back after I write it. :) . I decide that I wouldn't worry too much about taking notes; I kept reading as long as I am able to comprehend the passage. That worked okay for me.
If you have time, watch Thursday’s with Ron, it’s a good resource but takes up quite a bit of time.

Good luck Amigos!

Regards,
Bluelagoon.
(PS : You can notice how grammatically incorrect the above debrief is :lol: so if i can score 700, so can you :) )

This is so inspiring , I scored 580 in my first attempt and lost hope and interest ...
But I dont want to quit and wont quit still trying my best to score near 700 ..

Any advice for RC and CRs?

Regards,
Abhinav

GMAT 1 - 580 (Q47 V23) a-tight-slap-on-face-149457.html

GMAT 2 - 670 (Q48 V34) 670-one-month-off-from-office-and-2-months-hard-work-163761.html#p1297561

“If you don't change your life; your life will change you.”

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 38

Re: 630- > 700 (My 5th attempt) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 06:40
Congratulations !!!
What all tests have you given for all the attempts could you please let me know..... scores in those tests are not important but want to know how you increased your score in verbal even if it is from V 27 to V 34 .... because I am also hovering in the same range :)

All the best for the Apps!!!

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: 630- > 700 (My 5th attempt) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 11:40
abhinav11 wrote:
Bluelagoon wrote:

5) Kaplan Verbal review

Good luck Amigos!

Regards,
Bluelagoon.

This is so inspiring , I scored 580 in my first attempt and lost hope and interest ...
But I dont want to quit and wont quit still trying my best to score near 700 ..

Any advice for RC and CRs?

Their is few generic things on CR..such as co-relation,survey related problems..try to understand the basic reasoning behind these arguments..pre thinking also helps...try that...For me RC puts the brake on speed because towards the end of the test my comprehension ability will be minimal especially on the long complex RC's would screw up my time....i will advise..taking notes if that helps you...

practice RC from GMAT sources and read their reasoning for incorrect answer/correct answer. If you have 90% accuracy in SC, and about 80% in CR than you are fine...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: 630- > 700 (My 5th attempt) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 11:54
aim730 wrote:
Congratulations !!!
What all tests have you given for all the attempts could you please let me know..... scores in those tests are not important but want to know how you increased your score in verbal even if it is from V 27 to V 34 .... because I am also hovering in the same range :)

All the best for the Apps!!!

I have taken MGMAT tests..gmatclub math tests..and GMATPREP....previously i also took Veritas tests but i wouldn't recommend them...
gmatclub tests are the only test that comes very close to the actual exam Quant..rest all are above par(Manhattan) or below par(veritas)
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS 2+2 '18 (S)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: 630- > 700 (My 5th attempt) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 17:39
Congrats! It took me multiple times to break the 700 mark as well... you deserve it!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: 630- > 700 (My 5th attempt) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 21:23
Many Congratulations!
I was feeling low, precisely very low. I came across this debrief, and frankly speaking 630 -> 700 was not prominent but no. of attempts was prominent for me. I salute for your courage and patience. It is motivating to hear from you.

I am looking for Aristotle SC grail 3rd ed. If you have then please donate. :P

I am still fighting the battle. :|
Vivek
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: 630- > 700 (My 5th attempt) [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 00:30
vivmechster wrote:
Many Congratulations!
I was feeling low, precisely very low. I came across this debrief, and frankly speaking 630 -> 700 was not prominent but no. of attempts was prominent for me. I salute for your courage and patience. It is motivating to hear from you.

I am looking for Aristotle SC grail 3rd ed. If you have then please donate. :P

I am still fighting the battle. :|
Vivek

Don't worry too much...stick with your normal routine...look at OG problems..they are the best..rest all the material is kind of not at par with GMAT.Identify your strengths and exercise those skills to the fullest(In my case quant).....Identify what weakeness you can improve..for me mastering SC was one as its weighted more as compared to other Questions... Try to learn the correct patterns of answer in OG...Honestly..i could have scored better may be a 37 on verbal but i ended up wasting too much time on deciding RC answers..and ended up rushing the last 5-6 questions in last 5 minutes...given my challenges...i am satisfied with the score.

My younger bro might need my books, so i will hold on to them,and Aristotle SC in my mind is worth every penny..so get it 8-) . I would rate it at par with MGMAT strategy guide.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 19

Re: 630- > 700 (My 5th attempt) [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 01:27
Congrats on your score and not giving up! inspiring! :)

If my answer helped, dont forget KUDOS! :)

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9433 [0], given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 630- > 700 (My 5th attempt) [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 12:55
Expert's post
Thank you for the debrief. Congratulations on the end of this arduous journey and beginning of the next one of course.
Good Luck and thank you for your contribution!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: 630- > 700 (My 5th attempt) [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 14:13
bb wrote:
Thank you for the debrief. Congratulations on the end of this arduous journey and beginning of the next one of course.
Good Luck and thank you for your contribution!

Thank you. If i can make a recommendation of the gmatclub tests, i will request you to match up the verbal questions with the actual GMAT. Having practiced on multiple platforms , i think gmatclub have the best quant tests but i can't say the same for verbal.
Re: 630- > 700 (My 5th attempt)   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2013, 14:13