Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 13:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

630 - verbal strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

630 - verbal strategy [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 23:07
I gave my exam yesterday and scored a 630 (Q47, V30). My overall GPrep scores were a bit higher than my actual score (around 49 in Q and 35 in V), although I think it's ironic since I scored a 620 on my first diagnostic GPrep back in may/june. I have been studying for the past few months, but my verbal score simply has not been improving.

I am hoping some of the experts could help me analyse + improve my verbal score.

For SC, which is my weakest area, I have read the mgmat guide twice and made notes as well. I can now pretty much explain the contents of the mgmat guide, which apparently is of no help since I can't do SC questions/perform well. I am told that SC is most logical area/where you can do really well in the verbal section. However, I seem to know the rules but can't perform?!
Also, I have done the OG+OG verbal at least twice and do understand the errors (or at least would like to believe that I do!) and remember the answers somewhat.
What am I doing wrong/should I consider another approach for SC? or do I simply need more practice??
I have not done the 1000 SC Qs as I understand that some answers are wrong.. would a lot of the users recommend that resource even though the answers/source of Qs is dubious?

For CR, again, I've done both OGs at least twice. I intend to read the powerscore CR bible this time around. hopefully that should do the trick?

For RC, I have identified a good method of reading the passage that works for me, but still need to practice.. (done with OGs too)

Most importantly, could you pls recommend good sources of practice (besides OGs) for each section? I already have the mgmat Qbanks.

Thanks!!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: 630 - verbal strategy [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2008, 06:50
Hi thisisvb,
For improvement of verbal the amount of work you have done should be enough. But if your SC area is weak and you have read MGMAT SC book thoroughly then you should be able to nail most of the SC questions. However if you are not doing well then you can try Powerscore SC bible. For CR powerscore CR bible is the best one. After that if you can do few LSAT papers then you should be fine.

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

Intern
Intern

Re: 630 - verbal strategy [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2008, 21:38
thanks subarao! do you know whether the SC bible is available for download? where can I find LSAT exams? are you referring to powerprep?

what about 1000 SC? have you done that?

ALSO, what should I be doing in order to improve my Q (47 to 49/50)?

Cheers, VB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 630 - verbal strategy [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 10:40
If you need practice, I would strongly recommend doing to SC1000 questions. Those should be more than enough for practice and I think you will be able to improve your score greatly.
Intern
Intern

Re: 630 - verbal strategy [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2008, 19:38
thanks rigger.. Is there a solutions file for 1000 sc? is true that some of the answers are wrong? how would one know which ones are wrong?

Also, do you think @ Q=47, the challenges would help me get to Q=49/50?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 630 - verbal strategy [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2008, 07:31
There is no solutions file for the SC1000. Forums such as this are a good resource as a significant portion of question solutions are covered. It is true that some answers are wrong, but there aren't too many of them like that. There's no way to find out unless you actually look up the question.

I definitely think you can boost your quant scores with the challenges. You just need to spend the time to go through the tests. There are a ton of them, and they require substantial time to be fully utilized.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: 630 - verbal strategy [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 19:33
There is no solutions to SC1000 series and I have heard that there are some wrong answers in those answer sheet floating on web. I bought the Powerscore SC bible and Powerscore GMAT CR bible and they are very good book (Both did cost me $50 but the money is worth spending). The GMATchallenge will definitely help to boost your quant score from 47 to 50 or 50+ if you diligently solve all those tests. Moreover after giving several challenges you will slowly learn to manage time to finish all those questions. So your time management skill will improve.

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

Re: 630 - verbal strategy   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2008, 19:33