Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

640 2nd attempt....Pls help!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 4

640 2nd attempt....Pls help!! [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 06:33
This post received
KUDOS
Dear fellow members,

Just back from Pearson centre, all dejected. Scored 640(IR7, Q49, V28) on my GMAT. Following is the trajectory of my recent mock scores.

1) 18/05 - Kaplan 670 (Q50, V33)
2) 28/05 - Kaplan 670 (Q49, V35)
3) 01/06 - GMATPrep Free 690 (Q51, V31)
4) 08/06 - Veritas Free Mock 710 (Q47, V40)
5) 15/06 - GMATPrep Exam pack 1/2 700 (Q49, V35)
6) 22/06 - GMATPrep Exam pack 2/2 720 (Q50, V36)

I know I have in me what it takes to achieve the coveted GMAT score but somehow I am not able to execute in the battlefield. Today, was doing good till IR. Took the optional break, got late by 2 mins and that thing stuck in my mind. I got nervous, losing out time. I had to re-read the question or not reading out properly. Somehow managed to cruise in time. Opted for break and again got late (I reconfirmed with proctor about my timing and she confirmed I still had couple of minutes left then came running that I am already out of time...WTF moment :oops: ) I started verbal with 72 mins on clock. That time I think exam got over me and I just could not comprehend what was written on screen.

I referred following resources:
1)OG 13
2)VR2
3)700-800 pdfs
4)Powerscore CR bible
5)Attempted 5 official LSAT papers

Since I have exhausted above mentioned resources, please suggest some good verbal resources to practice.

May be it's the nervousness of GMAT that hindered me from achieving a decent score, apart from my not good verbal skills.

Next Plan of action:
Will continue the momentum and not lose out the anchor. I am planning to write as many mocks as I could in next 31 days. Once consistent scores start coming, will book the slot and appear again.

I call out all veterans for feedback and suggestions. Also please suggest how to overcome exam phobia.

P.S: Please ignore my SC errors, not in a good state of mind.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 14 [2] , given: 9

Re: 640 2nd attempt....Pls help!! [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 07:01
This post received
KUDOS
karansachan,

Good news is it looks like you did well on some mocks and have potential to score above 35 in verbal, which should push you above that 700 mark. I think it's obvious you need to shorten your breaks -- during my tests I never had a problem with running out of time on breaks.

I think there may be two things happening. First, you may be hitting a mental block during verbal because of mental exhaustion. The best way to improve on this is to practice some harder tests (MGMAT & GMATClub) and try to finish within the timeframe. That way you'll build your stamina on harder tests and won't get as exhausted on the real thing. Second, it's clear you need improvement on your verbal. What might help is to set a target score goal (since your verbal scores are all over the place). I would say to at least shoot for a 40 on verbal. It's difficult but achievable. Find your weaknesses, keep a log, and redo all the questions you get wrong to understand the rules behind the questions.

Good luck!

Kudos if I helped you!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 4

Re: 640 2nd attempt....Pls help!! [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 08:31
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks andrewwal, really appreciate your quick reply.

The problem area was that I could not apply the framework strategies I followed during my practice, may be due to mental block. Any leads how to over come and make sure I solve the question the same way I solve during regular mocks.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V41
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [2] , given: 15

Re: 640 2nd attempt....Pls help!! [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2014, 13:06
This post received
KUDOS
Dude you need to get over the phobia :!:
- seems from your mocks you have the ability to score high 600 ranges. You have to dig deep and find what's bothering you and then practice handling that in the exam setting or any stressful situation. Infact I had the same problem.
After some retrospection i figured two things were bothering me:

1. I am a perfectionist -- now that may seem a bit boastful-- but in reality its what got in the way 99% of the time. GMAT is tricky, yes, but maybe only for 20% of the questions. Until my third attempt i was too focused on getting that 20% part right. Basically you have to let go and focus on the big picture.

2. I was too worried about the test and its impact on my future. When I took the test 3rd time I was not as worried as before, and was able to replicate mock-test success on d-day

I know its easier said than done, but if you figure out whats bothering you then at least you will have a chance to fight it.

Hope this helps..

while(1) { "I Love GMAT" . "I Hate GMAT" } .. BREAK .. Thank god this is over, but now I miss it!!
My Debrief - Broken Shackles 600-750 http://gmatclub.com/forum/broken-shackles-600-to-170870.html

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 19

CAT Tests
Re: 640 2nd attempt....Pls help!! [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2014, 04:36
This post received
KUDOS
karansachan wrote:
Dear fellow members,

Just back from Pearson centre, all dejected. Scored 640(IR7, Q49, V28) on my GMAT. Following is the trajectory of my recent mock scores.

I know I have in me what it takes to achieve the coveted GMAT score but somehow I am not able to execute in the battlefield. Today, was doing good till IR. Took the optional break, got late by 2 mins and that thing stuck in my mind. I got nervous, losing out time. I had to re-read the question or not reading out properly. Somehow managed to cruise in time. Opted for break and again got late (I reconfirmed with proctor about my timing and she confirmed I still had couple of minutes left then came running that I am already out of time...WTF moment :oops: ) I started verbal with 72 mins on clock. That time I think exam got over me and I just could not comprehend what was written on screen.

1)OG 13
2)VR2
3)700-800 pdfs
4)Powerscore CR bible

Since I have exhausted above mentioned resources, please suggest some good verbal resources to practice.

May be it's the nervousness of GMAT that hindered me from achieving a decent score, apart from my not good verbal skills.

Next Plan of action:
Will continue the momentum and not lose out the anchor. I am planning to write as many mocks as I could in next 31 days. Once consistent scores start coming, will book the slot and appear again.

I call out all veterans for feedback and suggestions. Also please suggest how to overcome exam phobia.

as fro you score you have some gap of improvement in quant sectio, i guess you missed few questions in quant or spend some extra time of some questions which may force you to skip few questions in quant. you can improve 30 points just pick up quant to reach to 51. for time management use the excel sheet which i have posted to improve time spec in quant and only one thing that can get you the target score.....never give up..... kudos if you like
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 5

Re: 640 2nd attempt....Pls help!! [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2014, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
singhaldheeraj wrote:
karansachan wrote:
Dear fellow members,

1)OG 13
2)VR2
3)700-800 pdfs
4)Powerscore CR bible

Next Plan of action:

as fro you score you have some gap of improvement in quant sectio, i guess you missed few questions in quant or spend some extra time of some questions which may force you to skip few questions in quant. you can improve 30 points just pick up quant to reach to 51. for time management use the excel sheet which i have posted to improve time spec in quant and only one thing that can get you the target score.....never give up..... kudos if you like

i am also at the same situation can get some more suggestions
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 19

CAT Tests
Re: 640 2nd attempt....Pls help!! [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2014, 00:08
karansachan wrote:
Dear fellow members,

1)OG 13
2)VR2
3)700-800 pdfs
4)Powerscore CR bible

Next Plan of action:

you are going right give as many mock as possible and if possible go to any test centres or cyber cafe for mock as real test situation is what threatening you

try this this is really effective
give kudos if you like
Re: 640 2nd attempt....Pls help!!   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2014, 00:08