Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

640...49 Q 28 Verbal...Disappointed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
640...49 Q 28 Verbal...Disappointed [#permalink] New post 24 May 2004, 15:48
Well Took the test today. Very very disappointed. Amazing thing is that all the while I was feeling that I was doing good. Very surprised that I got such a low verbal score. Infact, this verbal score is the lowest that I ever got in any practice tests. Infact, In the exam, I think I did really well In RC and SC, But may be I failed in the CR section, But that was mostly due to the triredness. Half way through the verbal section, My brain was so dead that I had to read a question two to three times, especially the CR. May be the CR killed me.

I put extra effort to get the First 15 and the last 15 correct. And for the most part I think I did well in the First 15..First RC was easy..I am damn sure that I did them correct. The first three were SC and I think I did well in them too. Or may be, what I thought were correct are wrong. But RC I am pretty sure I got atleast 10/12 correct. Only one 105 lines RC but that was not that bad to comprehend, Just lengthy.

QUANT:
The questions were lengthy, NOT difficult. More worded. DS were OK. I think in all I might have gone wrong in three questions. One in the fifteen and two in the end due to lack of time.From 20-30..the questions were very easy. No probability, only one simple DS question, NO SD, one gepmetry problem. One Combinations questions....(how many can be formed with so and so...)lots of algebra, one mixture problem. NO WORK PROBLEM.one data sufficiency question was so long that I had to scroll through the screen!!!

I intend to go for a part time program in University of chicago or Kellogg's . Dont know if this would be enough to get in them as they are top rated. I dont want to take it again, atleast for now, because I want to try for the Fall Semester and there is NOT much time left to take it again. Infact, with July 16 deadline, I will have to rush with my essays and recommendation letters. I will ask this question to Linda and MBA admission forum and I hope, I could get a reply from them. If they tell me to take it again, I will have to gor it again. But I am leaning to apply to the schools first.( I want to use the employer's money for this year. They provide only part of the tuition and so I want to use it as much as possible)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 659 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 24 May 2004, 17:56
Hi Monarc

Sorry about that. jjomalls had a similar experience in verbal. Cant help but feel the issue with most guys is the first 10-15 questions in verbal. I have heard of many cases like this where guys feel completely at ease in the verbal section, but the score is surprisingly low.

Since you are applying to part time programs, i must say it is hard for me to say if you need to take it again. i saw that you asked linda and game plan. thats good. Linda might give you a better idea.

If you need to take GMAT again, you are most welcome to discuss your strategy here. Please dont take a long break in your prep if you are taking it again.

Let us know how we can help. i will try to help you as much as i can.

thank you for sharing your experience. :)

Sincerely
Praet
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 May 2004, 19:09
Hey Monarc, just want to congratulate you for finally writing the exam. Although you may be disappointed about your score, you can certainly do better and you must certainly know by now what hurt your score. If you do take it again, put in lots of effort into verbal, especially RC. Practice LSAT RC would be my advice. It was very fun studying with you. Stick around and good luck again in everything!

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 May 2004, 20:40
Monarc,
I empathize with you ...I was feeling the same as what are you feeling now about two months back when I gave my exam.Even I thought I was going great guns in verbal but it was a total massacre.Having said that 640 for a PT program puts you in the top bracket....if you have the experience to back it up with.If you have around 6-7 years experience and if you can conjure some deadly reco's n essays ...I dont see how you can not get into K/C...but still Linda would be the right person to answer this question.Im still kinda rebounding from my previous failure...so would be kind of to share the insights you got from the exam to make our lives better.

Wishes,
Vivek.

"Start By Doing What Is Necessary ,Then What Is Possible & Suddenly You Will Realise That You Are Doing The Impossible"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 May 2004, 21:36
hi guys,
I am kind of waiting for linda to give me the answers to my questions of whether to apply or not. Infact for the part time MBA in UC, the average is 660 , I am below it..But at the same time I personally know some people who got below 640 and still got in......

The verbal...I spent the first half an hour on the first 15 questions...RC was easy ...I think I diod well in them...I think where I faulted was the middle questions...CR was tough for me in the exam...It never was while practicing though....SC .....I practiced well...so I thgink I ddi well in that too.....
So I am at a total loss...Where did I go wrong???Its a nightmare...

Math was easy....But I would suggest to learn the formulas well to save some time...For example, How do u calculate the longest diagonal of a rhombus given one angle and side.,..,,,and divisibility rules...the differences between a squarte and rectangle...things like that....
  [#permalink] 24 May 2004, 21:36