Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 13:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

640 - Disappointed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

640 - Disappointed [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2003, 07:16
Just came after giving the examination and I am disappointed that after doing so much I am still dangling in 600 - 650 area (this time 640) ..I am really disappointed and really thinking how can improve my verbal score.I aimed for 700 this time but …

What I had done..

Kaplan
OG
Princeton
Arco CD

Results

Ist Time
Kaplan : Don’t Remember (Scores Were random from 590 to 620's)
OG : Did all the Question Once
Score : 610 (Quant 48 , Verbal 23)

IInd Time

OG : Did all the questions 2 times , with Sentence correction lesson learnt after doing each Question
Princeton : 620 (Don't Remember) , 710 , 710 , 710
Learned new Strategies from Princeton
Actual Score : 620 (Quant 50 , Verbal 25)

IIIrd Time
Arco CD : 660 -700 (4 Times) , 610 - 650 Last Time
Revise the strategies from OG,Princeton,Kaplan
Actual Score : 640 (Quant 48 , Verbal 28)

How was this exam:
Exam was standard (both Quant and Verbal) and Verbal I don't know why in actual exam , I am not very sure while marking the answers.To improve on this , I thought of giving the exam in office on weekends , but that too hasn't helped. Actual Verbal in GMAT is tough compared to any of the exams that I have given with Princeton or ARCO. Kaplan is tougher and does no good to the morale.

Finally Got 640…I don't know what can I get with this score.I want to do MBA from a good university .Do you think that I would be able to get admission in a good university in USA with this score.Any advice will be greatly appreciated.I am planning to do MBA next fall....

Never Say Die

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2003, 07:36
Tyagas,

For sure you have a chance to reach 700. Your Q score is good and consistent. You need to evaluate what you have been doing wrong in the verbal part. I beat it is a timing issue. How was your timing on verbal? Did you guess the last 10 question? Did you rush on the first 10 questions?

You are almost there. If you can get a 35 in V, you can reach the 7.

Hope this helps,

Yoda

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2003, 08:35
Thanks for the reply Yoda…
OK What happened with my Verbal this time….

I tried to follow same flow during the whole verbal .I know that first 10 - 15 questions are important , but if I devote more time in those questions , I surely lag behind for last 7 to 8 questions. In my second attempt , I had to rush on the last questions(VERBAL) , even though I knew that I had done good in the beginning ( :lol: ), but result was opposite and if you see in the actual GMAT guidelines it is written that guessing in the end can seriously damage the final score (Not that I marked all of them blindly :roll: , last 2 or 3 I had to)

This time I got 70 line RC on 5th Question..and the questions seemed to be tough :x …so I thought that I am doing good ..Somehow I am not able to apply the test strategy in the actual exam as once I start to apply these strategies , I seem to be loosing time in verbal..While I am able to apply these strategies in the Princeton , ARCO exams etc when I took them at home or office but in actual exam :roll: ..When I say test strategy I mean ….

What I thought I will do For RC : Read First Para carefully , decide about the topic and the scope ..then make the mental road map for each para read..Stop in the end and then recap what you have read..Answer all Q's accordingly..

What Actually happened : I had to read the RC in one flow …then questions in one flow and reread the questions if required and mark according to the hunch (Princeton word)

What I thought I will do for CR : Read the argument carefully , find out the evidences and conclusions and guess about the assumption ..and then answer accordingly ..

What actually happened : Read the argument , read the questions , mark the answers according to the hunch.. If I don't do this I loose time..

What I thought I will do for SC : Find out the mistake and cut off the wrong answer on paper and then mark accordingly…Apply 7 to 8 point test on each SC Q..

What actually happened : Read along the SC ..check for the best sentence which seem to be having no mistake…

So all in all , I am slow in the verbal part of the actual examination and hence scoring poor in it..Also it is difficult to get any test with the same difficulty level as in actual exam. I have done OG two times , so PP is also of no use .I tried giving it this time ..questions gave me the feeling that I have done them (I got 710 in first test , but after that left it )Also I am now short of practice tests .Do you think I should be giving the exam again..

Never Say Die

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2003, 03:39
Don't give up!!!
At least you know your strong and weak points :wink:

Too much is not enough...

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2003, 04:19
Hi Bono,
Well it is good to know strong and weak points ..but main thing is how much improvement can be made on the weak points.Can anybody suggest any CD or tests which is very much in line with actual GMAT tests (Verbal in particular :barbarian )..PP Tests might not be much of the use as I have already done OG and this might result in inflated scores.
Cheers,

Never Say Die

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2003, 07:16
tyagas

I think the best way to improve you score in verbal is to take courses on English grammar and style to receive a fundmaental knowledge on the issue.

Also try Grammar Smart: A Guide to Perfect Usage. I've just bought this book so I cannot tell is it good or not but I was advised to buy it :)

Try LSAT materials. They are much harder than GMAT ones and a lot of people from this forum believe they could boost your verbal score. Ask stolyar for a reference.

And the final note: your score are constantly improving. If you keep on studying you'll definitely succeed. Good luck!

Too much is not enough...

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2003, 23:55
OK I am thinking of preparing again with stop watch in another hand ..I think it is more of time management and keeping your cool mind and concentration rather than knowing the microlevel nitty gritties of English Grammer..Even though I am not a native speaker so am at slight :roll: disadvantage..But could you tell me where from can I get the harder LSAT Material..Does anybody know about REA publication book for GMAT and Barrons GMAT..Are they worth buying..

Cheers

Never Say Die

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2003, 19:54
Tyagas,

You might want to get the LSATs test and practice the CR and RC from them. You are right about the stop watch. You want to train your brain to solve the problems quickly. I stopped studing for a week and already realized that my brain is getting slow to recognize the questions again....
hope this helps, when are you taking the test?

Yoda

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2003, 02:01
I haven't booked it till now..thinking of giving it by oct end...LSAT material from where can I get ..Pls let me know if you know..is there any web site where from I can download the LSAT stuff for free :?: Any more suggestions on improving the speed on verbal will be appreciated...

Never Say Die

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2003, 02:13
A SAMPLE LSAT question paper can be downloaded free from

http://www.lsat.org/LSAC.asp?url=lsac/d ... klists.asp

Does anyone else know about other sources?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2003, 04:13
check the link i posted few days back in the following msg:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2943

It is a huge resource for good CR, RC questions..!

thanks
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2003, 05:39
Thanks for the site Vicky, but it's in chinese language and am not able to comprehend it..do you know the exact link where I can find all the RC and CR Q's..I have tried to press few links on this site, but it dragged me into further maize of chinese scripts !

Never Say Die

[#permalink] 16 Nov 2003, 05:39