Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 23:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

640 GMAT, 3.11 GPA and 5.0 years of WE

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Anderson '16
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

640 GMAT, 3.11 GPA and 5.0 years of WE [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 19:34
Hey all! I was simply wondering if I could get a few pointers, suggestions or recommendations in terms of which programs could be well-suited for me. At the same time, I'd need to be at least competitive enough (profile-wise) to be potentially accepted.

Preferably, in terms of concentrations offered, I'd like to find my way into something related to Entertainment/Media Management, though I've also flirted with the idea of getting into Sports Management and perhaps Marketing in general. I know it's a bit vague, but I'd love to know what kind of options I can look into.

Here's my profile and work experience:

Undergrad GPA: 3.11 (Concordia University (Montreal), BA in Communication Studies, Graduated in 2008)
GMAT Score: 640 (Q44, V34)
Nationality: French-Canadian (Caucasian from Quebec)
Fully bilingual in French and English (Written and Spoken)

-My first job was actually during university and I was the assistant manager at a video store for a total of 4 years. I was working 20+ hours a week during my BA, which helps explain my lower-than-wanted GPA.
-During the end of 2008, I started a music video/commercial production company with two friends of mine. After a few months, we completed a couple of projects but given all of our youth and inexperience (I was 23 then), the venture was soon abandoned.
-In early 2009, I started working for a film producer here in Montreal. I started off as being his assistant, though over time our work relationship developed and I became more of a producing partner. Since 2009, we've been involved in three feature-length films which had various distribution agreements (ie, they're not TV movies that no one ever saw). We've also been developing an $8.7M project on our own and we're getting closer and closer to actually getting it made. My title on the project would/will most likely be Associate Producer.
-I also produced a few commercials and music videos on the side just to keep myself busy.
-In the Summer months of 2011, I was part of a Graduate Course in Film Producing at UCLA. As such, I lived in Los Angeles for a few months and got to know the area and the school pretty well.
-In the Spring of 2012, I started working for Fidelity Investments as a Sales Coordinator. I also continued with my film work on the side.
-I've played ice hockey for the majority of my life and played some AA in my teens. I still play now in a recreational league.
-I've been a part of training programs for Aboriginal youth in Northern Quebec. Long story short, I put together particular film courses covering a range of general topics and taught them to a dozen youth or so.
-I will more than likely be traveling for a couple of months next May either in Europe/SE Asia/South America. I plan on either volunteering if I can find a good program or perhaps I might teach English and/or French.
-It may be important to point out that I have no background in math, except for two courses during my BA (Intro to Real Estate and Personal Finance) for which I got A's for.

Since I live in Montreal, I will definitely be applying to Concordia and McGill.

I have given up the hope of applying to UCLA/USC/NYU, though I'm very open to studying in the US and would love to have the opportunity to check out similar programs that are decently ranked. In other words, I don't care about going to a Top 10 or anything, but I at least want to be a part of a half decent program.

I'm also open to studying in Europe!

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
640 GMAT, 3.11 GPA and 5.0 years of WE   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2013, 19:34