Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

640 GMAT 49(q),28(v)...UC or Kelloggs chances???

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
640 GMAT 49(q),28(v)...UC or Kelloggs chances??? [#permalink] New post 24 May 2004, 16:08
hi I took the GMAT today. Got a 640 ...49 quants and 28 verbal. I stay in chicago and so I intend to go only for part time MBA in either University of chicago or Kellogg's. I have 4 years of experience in Electronic Engineering in a Global 500 company and have a good career progress in the company. I have the July 16 as the deadline for both the universities and so I have to rush now, But I do have a pretty good outline of what to write and also some of the essays from my colleagues who have done the mba from UC. Please let me know If I have a chance or should I take the GMAT again. My company provides only part of the tuition fees and also there is a limit to it every year. I want to use this year's money and so I intend to apply for the FAll semester. There is NO time left for me to take the GMAT again. Please advice on what to do. Should I wait for the next semester and give GMAT a try again or Should I just apply and see if I get in . Please advice on my chances.Kellogg's and UC are the ONLY ones I am trying for...

regards,
monarc
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

Re: 640 GMAT 49(q),28(v)...UC or Kelloggs chances??? [#permalink] New post 25 May 2004, 06:06
Expert's post
monarc wrote:
Please advice on what to do. Should I wait for the next semester and give GMAT a try again or Should I just apply and see if I get in . Please advice on my chances.Kellogg's and UC are the ONLY ones I am trying for...

Hmm... That verbal score is pretty low. There are a lot of people who get into part-time programs with a 640, but your low verbal score would probably raise some red flags. I would probably lean toward taking it again and trying to improve on that score. (Even a "quant" school like Chicago will want to see a fairly strong verbal score.)

Also, I assume that you're not a native English speaker? If you are confident that you can write strong essays, then they could possibly make up for your low verbal score. But you may want to ask for some editing help from a native English speaker. That will help.

So, if you know that yo ucan write knockout essays, then apply now. Otherwise, I'd recommend that you try again on the GMAT.

Also, make sure that you call it Kellogg (no "s") when you apply... Calling it "Kellogg's" is sure to get you rejected! :-)

Good luck,
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 May 2004, 06:28
hi scott,

Thank you for the reply. The reason I was leaning more towards applying was there is not much time for me to take the GMAT again and apply for the Fall Semester. SO I thought of applying it anyway and if GMAT is the Reason I get rejected, Then I will take it again and reapply. That way I will have a valid reason for my reapplication.

If I were to take GMAT again, then I think it will only be in November.

Sorry about my typing mistake "kellogg"..

regards,
siva
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 25 May 2004, 07:49
Expert's post
monarc wrote:
Thank you for the reply. The reason I was leaning more towards applying was there is not much time for me to take the GMAT again and apply for the Fall Semester.

I understand where you're coming from. If you're confident that the rest of your application will be strong, then go ahead and apply. If your whole application is great, then your GMAT score probably won't keep you out. Work hard on those essays, though!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews