Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 14:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

640 GMAT Q:45, V:33.. Targetting the "runner up" s

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

640 GMAT Q:45, V:33.. Targetting the "runner up" s [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2004, 16:11
Hello,

My name is Nagesh and my GMAT score is 640 (45Q, 33V and 4.5 AWA). Well, I am being very practical about my scores and not aiming for the top 20, though I wish I could have. I am sure I would not have a chance in one of them. But, I am certainly aiming for the next set of the "best schools". It would be very helpful for me, if you would suggest me some of the schools suitable for me.

I have about 40 months experience in the IT area as of now and I am applying for fall 2005, so it would be about 50 months work ex at the time of admission. All my exp is in the software industry. My interest is to continue in my same area of specialization. My progress has been very good in my work area and I currently head a team. I am also actively involved in community work.

About my academics, my undergrad is in Telecommunication engineering from India and have finished my masters part time (in software engineering)along with my work. My GPA is 3.3 (calculated it from one of the GPA calculators on a website).

I am looking at the schools, which could add growth in my area. I do not want to switch my area, though I am keenly interested in Strategic management too.

Well, and finally, financial aid is also one of the major factors that I am weighing in selecting my schools.

It will be very helpful, if you could tell me the list of schools I must be targeting at.

I wish to thank Linda and others in advance for the time taken to look at my post and answer my questions.

-Nagesh.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2004, 20:10
Hi,

I would consider Carnegie, Texas, Maryland, UC Irvine, and Vanderbilt.

One of the nice aspects of tech is that many of the best schools are in the transelite and near elite clusters. Thus, many of these schools are not really "runners up" since in this specialization they outperform their general reputation.

Another nice aspect of this set of schools is that many are in areas with relatively low cost of living, at least compared with New York City or Boston.

I also like the generous merit scholarships at Vandy.

Hjort
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 339 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: 640 GMAT Q:45, V:33.. Targetting the "runner up&quo [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2004, 09:59
Expert's post
nageshhatti wrote:
Hello,

My name is Nagesh and my GMAT score is 640 (45Q, 33V and 4.5 AWA). Well, I am being very practical about my scores and not aiming for the top 20, though I wish I could have. I am sure I would not have a chance in one of them. But, I am certainly aiming for the next set of the "best schools". It would be very helpful for me, if you would suggest me some of the schools suitable for me.

I have about 40 months experience in the IT area as of now and I am applying for fall 2005, so it would be about 50 months work ex at the time of admission. All my exp is in the software industry. My interest is to continue in my same area of specialization. My progress has been very good in my work area and I currently head a team. I am also actively involved in community work.

About my academics, my undergrad is in Telecommunication engineering from India and have finished my masters part time (in software engineering)along with my work. My GPA is 3.3 (calculated it from one of the GPA calculators on a website).

I am looking at the schools, which could add growth in my area. I do not want to switch my area, though I am keenly interested in Strategic management too.

Well, and finally, financial aid is also one of the major factors that I am weighing in selecting my schools.

It will be very helpful, if you could tell me the list of schools I must be targeting at.

I wish to thank Linda and others in advance for the time taken to look at my post and answer my questions.

-Nagesh.

Consider CMU, Indiana, VAnderbilt, Arizona, Minnesota, and Maryland.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2004, 06:46
Dear Hjort and Linda,

Thank you for your suggestions. It is indeed very helpful for me.

Hjort-
just a clarification, you ment Texas A&M by texas right?

I dint know that vandy would give good scholarships, thanks for mentioning it.

Could I get to know schools that give generious aid(coming into a school with aid, among a set of similar rated schools, will make life a lot more easier in convincing immingration authorities to provide a student visa from India)?

Thank You,
-Nagesh.

Smith & Wesson, the best point and click interface

CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2004, 08:04
Hi again,

Texas A&M Mays is a good school, but not the one I had in mind. I meant to write the University of Texas at Austin (McCombs). In part this is based on the strengths of the business school, in part based on the University of Texas at Austin as a whole, and in part because of the region.

You might want to contact schools that have strong merit aid packages available to international students to see if you are likely to meet their selection criteria.

Hjort
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2004, 11:55
Another great opportunity for you to consider is the Information Systems scholar at Case Western.

"Information Systems Scholars: Up to twenty, half or full-tuition scholarships granted each year. To be considered for the IS scholars program, you must have at least a 620 score on the GMAT, programming proficiency or other hands-on development experience, and a demonstrated interest in the application of technology. The latter is demonstrated through a detailed essay describing those interests, submitted as part of the MBA application. This essay should be submitted as the fifth "optional" essay in addition to the four required essays in the MBA application materials."

Hjort