Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 510 Q34 V28
GMAT 2: 580 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 640 Q34 V44
GMAT 4: 690 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.61
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: 640 minority student seeks advice [#permalink]
I know what you mean about high school calculus...I remember almost nothing now! Plus, the GMAT math is mostly things I learned back in middle school (though probably wasn't paying much attention to...). I had a tough time with that section as well, but with a few months of studying was able to go from practice tests scoring around 37-38Q (~45th %) to 47Q on the real test (73rd %). There are a lot of great tips on this site if you want to throw your hat into the ring for one more go.

I don't know a ton about the Consortium, but there's a great forum on gmatclub: calling-all-consortium-2013-applicants-141341.html

Based on gmatclubbers scores (which may have little relation to actual scores!), it looks like averages range from the high 600s to low 700s. Maybe some folks in that forum can point you to more official data. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you once again! I'm tempted to retake one last time and see if I can improve on the math. Would you mind sharing what resources you used to improve your score? Mine has been a 36Q, 36Q, and 35Q. I purchased all the manhattan guides but never felt like I was mastering any of the concepts. I was simply moving from problem to problem without really "mastering" anything. Any ideas you have would be truly appreciated.

I improved over 130 points in two months (all in the verbal side of course). If I could improve by score by 60 points to a 700 that would be really cool! Do you think business schools would be reluctant to accept me given that I'm a teacher and not some guy with a business background! Thank you and have a fun weekend!

lb2015 wrote:
I know what you mean about high school calculus...I remember almost nothing now! Plus, the GMAT math is mostly things I learned back in middle school (though probably wasn't paying much attention to...). I had a tough time with that section as well, but with a few months of studying was able to go from practice tests scoring around 37-38Q (~45th %) to 47Q on the real test (73rd %). There are a lot of great tips on this site if you want to throw your hat into the ring for one more go.

I don't know a ton about the Consortium, but there's a great forum on gmatclub: calling-all-consortium-2013-applicants-141341.html

Based on gmatclubbers scores (which may have little relation to actual scores!), it looks like averages range from the high 600s to low 700s. Maybe some folks in that forum can point you to more official data. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sure! I also used the Manhattan guides. I found them to be really helpful, but I went through them very slowly. I probably spent about 4 months studying for the GMAT, around 5-10 hours a week. With the exception of a few days on verbal (like you, I found verbal to be much easier), that entire time was spent on math. I read each chapter of the MGMAT books and slowly worked through each problem until I mastered it. On the problem sets from the official guide, I would time myself with about 1.5 min/question. As I went along, I starred each question where I had guessed the answer. Then I slowly reviewed each question I got wrong and each question I starred, trying to figure out where I had gone wrong and/or if there was an easier way to solve the problem (e.g. those number properties problems with a rule I had forgotten that would make the whole problem simpler). After I had reviewed, I would time myself again on the same set of problems. A few days before the test, I went back and did each problem set again and reviewed each problem set once more.

Some people on this forum would say that the key is to take a lot of practice tests. This wasn't the strategy I used. I took 3 in total, mostly to get my timing down. But the problem I found with practice tests is that it didn't address the "mastery" problem for me because the concepts are all mixed together. I found it much more helpful to work through several problems of the same type--the repetition built an intuitive understanding, which was crucial on my test date. On the actual test, I probably guessed on every other math question, but I think my guesses were more successful because I had that "intuitive" understanding.

Hopefully that is helpful! Some folks on this forum have also used an error log. Similar concept with more intense tracking: all-about-the-error-log-11754.html

As to being a teacher, I think this could actually help you. So many consultants/bankers apply that we have to take extra steps to differentiate ourselves. You already have a unique--but still accomplished--background, and I really think you could knock the GMAT out of the park if you just spent a few months more on quant catch-up!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you for such a detailed answer.

I forgot to mention to you that there is an MBA program (top 30 according to US News) that I am interested in. Most of the grads go on to work in oil & gas industry. However the program also admits a small percentage of students who are interested in education administration (principal, school superintendent, etc). The program trains administrators to lead schools and school districts as CEOs. If admitted the school pays most of your education (about 90k); it is sort of like a fellowship. This is why I initially became interested in the GMAT actually. I have been in constant contact with the admissions officer at this school and she has been very suppotive and encouraging. She asked that I call her immediately after retaking the GMAT this past Thursday. After telling her my score (and based on my GPA, professional experience, etc), she thinks that I am a strong candidate for the MBA program for THIS cycle but that i need to turn in my essays and application by next week (have already turned in LOR, transcripts, and professional evaluation). However, now that I have a 640, I feel that perhaps I should postpone MBA for another year, aim for a higher score, and consider all my options again in the fall. The problem is that I need to decide now since I do have to turn in the essays asap.

Anyway we have been messaging back and forth and I do not know much about you. Where are you applying to? Are you in banking already?

lb2015 wrote:
Sure! I also used the Manhattan guides. I found them to be really helpful, but I went through them very slowly. I probably spent about 4 months studying for the GMAT, around 5-10 hours a week. With the exception of a few days on verbal (like you, I found verbal to be much easier), that entire time was spent on math. I read each chapter of the MGMAT books and slowly worked through each problem until I mastered it. On the problem sets from the official guide, I would time myself with about 1.5 min/question. As I went along, I starred each question where I had guessed the answer. Then I slowly reviewed each question I got wrong and each question I starred, trying to figure out where I had gone wrong and/or if there was an easier way to solve the problem (e.g. those number properties problems with a rule I had forgotten that would make the whole problem simpler). After I had reviewed, I would time myself again on the same set of problems. A few days before the test, I went back and did each problem set again and reviewed each problem set once more.

Some people on this forum would say that the key is to take a lot of practice tests. This wasn't the strategy I used. I took 3 in total, mostly to get my timing down. But the problem I found with practice tests is that it didn't address the "mastery" problem for me because the concepts are all mixed together. I found it much more helpful to work through several problems of the same type--the repetition built an intuitive understanding, which was crucial on my test date. On the actual test, I probably guessed on every other math question, but I think my guesses were more successful because I had that "intuitive" understanding.

Hopefully that is helpful! Some folks on this forum have also used an error log. Similar concept with more intense tracking: all-about-the-error-log-11754.html

As to being a teacher, I think this could actually help you. So many consultants/bankers apply that we have to take extra steps to differentiate ourselves. You already have a unique--but still accomplished--background, and I really think you could knock the GMAT out of the park if you just spent a few months more on quant catch-up!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Wow, that could be a tough call then! If you end up with a large scholarship to a good school, that might be reason enough to just take the money this year and not look back. Have you had a chance to visit the program? Do you like the students, location, program, etc? Do you think the school will help further your career goals? If yes to all of those, it could be a great opportunity.

Yeah, I currently work in private banking, but I'm looking to make a transition to impact investing (specifically in educational non-profits, so we have something in common there!). I'm currently accepted at Darden, on the waitlist for Fuqua, and waiting to hear back from Yale later this week...super nervous!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Did you get my private message?

lb2015 wrote:
Wow, that could be a tough call then! If you end up with a large scholarship to a good school, that might be reason enough to just take the money this year and not look back. Have you had a chance to visit the program? Do you like the students, location, program, etc? Do you think the school will help further your career goals? If yes to all of those, it could be a great opportunity.

Yeah, I currently work in private banking, but I'm looking to make a transition to impact investing (specifically in educational non-profits, so we have something in common there!). I'm currently accepted at Darden, on the waitlist for Fuqua, and waiting to hear back from Yale later this week...super nervous!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V39
WE:Other (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Just found this. I also scored a 640, I had a 690 that expired :-(

What i have found is that if you want to do say finance, you will have problems with no quant courses since HS and a low quant score on the GMAT. With your grades & GMAT, I'd say you'd be competitive at schools in the 25-50 area. Your GMAT will play up since you're a minority. My 690 included a 46 verbal score, I have found improving my quant past 42 to be difficult. However, if you could get into the 45-46 area, you could probably break 700 and be competitive at a top 25. . .
GMAT Club Bot