Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 09:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

640 (q-47,v-31)... disappointed...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
640 (q-47,v-31)... disappointed... [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2003, 02:17
Hi guys
i scored 640 today. Felling really shit... verbal really let me down.
Before i write about my experience one appeal to all GMAT aspirants: Make sure u get the first 5-10 questions right even if it means to spend 5-10 minutes extra.
I started with AWA and were pretty easy. One argument esssay happened to be the one that i read yesterday night... ;-).
I had done enough practise in quant and was aiming for 50. But the score was really bad considering that in last 20 minutes i had 15 questions left.. :roll:
The quant questions were similar to that in GMAT+ and kaplan CD. I made sure that i got first 15 correct ( and it seems i did) cause i guessed majorly after 25th question. Lesson learnt 1: First 15 questions are really imporatant - i dont need to emphasize it much. Also, in the beginning be prepared to get some tough questions on combinations/perm or probability. My second question was on combinations and it was not easy.
In the middle of quant i felt as if i wud never be able to finish and really screwed it up. But i kept cool, guessed on tough ones and made sure to get easy one right. Lesson learnt 2: even if u feel u are going down.. never loose cool. It will only make things worse. What has happened has happened... just focus on the questions ahead and finish in time without making many errors in line. I got one probability question somewhere on 32nd question.
Then came verbal. i am still not able to comprehend why i scored so low. I aced almost all CR's and RC's. Only thing that could have let my score down is SC. I don't know...
On 6th question i got two RC's back to back. One 25-30 lines other 35-40 lines. Lesson learnt 3: expect the unexpected. I made sure that i got them right. But before these two essays i had about 4 or 5 SC's (i dont remember exactly). i feel this where i screwed my verbal.. in the begining. I had done enough practise on all kinds of CR's and RC's and i am sure that i got them right in actual test. But, i got first 5 questions in my weakest area SC. result: i am damned....
i was aiming for top 5-10 schools in US/Europe and now it seems a distant dream. I am really dejected... no idea where i will go from where.
As for work exp. I have 2.5 years (3 by fall 2003) in GE aircraft engines.
My undergrad is from one of the best enginering colleges in Asia.
but damn it GMAT score is shity...
any useful advise is welcome. Kindly keep critical comment to yourself. thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 665 [0], given: 781

Re: 640 (q-47,v-31)... disappointed... [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2003, 02:40
Vicky

Allow me to say a few words.

I know a guy who had a (45,29 ) in his first attempt...it shocked me at first..as he is not a average student...always straight A's ...he had the exact problem ..SC.. a month later..he is now at a (50,42)...which is 760 ..i think ...a 110 point jump.

Even though i am yet to take the test....i would be pleased if you consider taking the Gmat again.

In summary, i can say that you deserve atleast 50-70 points more...

If you need help with SC's, post the questions..i would be glad to answer them.

Hope i was realistic enough.

Praetorian
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2003, 04:21
thanks praet for the encouraging words.
u are mate..! (aussi way of saying u are good freind..)
I am infact thinking of taking again. But u know in India, one needs to register way back to get a date.. For october date i had to enrol in July..!!
There are no walk-ins as in other counties. Still i will check today for available dates, even if i have to tavel to neighbouring cities to take it.
thanks for helping me out with SC's.

praet few quants for your practise (dont ask me what is the source.. :wink:
1) There are 3 representatives from 5 different companies at a meeting. If they shake hands such that no representative shakes hand with his colleague, find the number of handshakes.

2) What is the remainder when 7^381 is divided by 5.

3) There are 12white balls and 12 black balls that are despersed randomly. If the first 3 balls are black, what is the probability that fourth is also balck.

4) r, s are prime numbers and 1<a<b. Find the greatest common divisor of r^a*s^b & r^b*s^a

5) Is a^2*b + b^2*a positive
a) ab is positive
b) a is negative.

6) n & k are positive integers such that n+k<8. Find the number of possible values for the product n*k.

Get thorough with Sets questions especially in which three sets A,B & C are involved.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 665 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2003, 04:57
Thanks!

Good that you are taking it again

Praetorian
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2003, 08:39
hi vicky
u can get the dates for november
go to http://www.gmac.com
u can check the availability of dates there.
you will find that most dates are actually available
in my case when i called the ets helpline in delhi they said that dates up to nov end are full but when i checked this site i found that even october dates were available
all the best
i think you will get ur desired score this time
also let us know what was ur source of preparation
and which source helped you the most
thanks
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2003, 08:39
hi vicky
in my case when i called the ets helpline in delhi they said that dates up to nov end are full but when i checked this site i found that even october dates were available
all the best
thanks
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2003, 08:40
hi vicky
all the best
thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2003, 09:22
Thanks AD.
but this is ridiculous. The mba site shows available dates in b'lore for november but ETS center in delhi says that seats are full.
For my preparation i used mostly GMAT+, which in my opinion is one of the best resource of good gmat type questions. Based on my experience i can say that, GMAT+ gives good practise of quant, CR and RC's. I cannot claim the same about SC though... :oops:
Also, always time yourself while practising.
Frankly, i dont know the best source for practising SC's.
ask other members on this forum for same...
best of luck for your preparations...
thanks
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2003, 14:42
Vicky,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Like Praet said, I also think you can certainly improve your score if you retake the GMAT. All I can say is that it was just not your day. You can easily cross 700 with your abilities. Just brush up your weaknesses such as SC, etc and you will do just fine. Keep us posted with your progress on your second attempt.

By the way, thank you for your contributions on the "qauant" and "verbal" sections of this GMATCLUB forum.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2003, 02:17
Vicky, have you used OG for mastering your math? Is this book helful for quant?
  [#permalink] 08 Oct 2003, 02:17