Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 20:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

640(Q: 48, V 31) - Need advise

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

640(Q: 48, V 31) - Need advise [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2009, 01:19
Hi All
I appreared in my GMAT last week and got 640(Q: 48, Verbal: 31).
I knew from the very beginning that my Math is going to be OK. Also during test day it was not tough except few questions which i strategically guessed and moved on. I knew if i try solving those questions, it will burn time but would still be in doubt if i got it right. I finished all 37 questions with 10 minutes left. Was resonably confident that i would score 45+.

Then took the break, drank water, stretched a bit and started for the Verbal. First 2 questions were from SC and i guess i did those correctly( parallelism). It was good till the first 20 questions. Then i checked time and i had already taken more than 2 mins/question. Only 35 mins was remaining. This kind of distrubed my mind and i think i started to rush. Checked time again when i was Q 31 and i had only 9 minutes remaining. I can remember i had already screwed up a RC. Next few minutes i could hardly concentrate and i think i just guessed blindly the last 3 questions. I was sure, i have messed up verbal big time and the score eventually reflected the same. Verbal 31:).

Please advise on next steps. I am planning to take it again.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 640(Q: 48, V 31) - Need advise [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2009, 04:43
Remember, feeling "good" about the GMAT could be a bad thing.

My first attempt through the exam, I had a "good" feeling. Result: 610

My second attempt through the exam, I felt like crap (didn't sleep the night before, food not settling in my stomach due to lack of sleep, stressing on the questions, etc.). Result: 710 (but lower AWA).

I *felt* like I was going to do worse on my second attempt. The questions were difficult, and I got stuck on a couple verbal/quant problems breaking the average of ~2 min/problem.

My guess is you need to take another diagnostic to identify your weaknesses in verbal, make a study plan, and go from there. You should also work on your time management (mainly for verbal). Time management is probably the biggest struggle on the GMAT.

Hopefully this helps.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: 640(Q: 48, V 31) - Need advise [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2009, 06:58
I second mohater.

Right now I am on the same phase. I am scoring around 660 in practice test and need to develop concentratino and endurance for verbal. I am working on improving reading skills, keeping mental notes and using CR and SC skills that I learned thorough MGMAT and PWRSCRE. I do not know if the problem is similar in your case, but for me I read through many books but am unable to use the material during the test. Basically, I end up using my intuition. I am planning to revamp my praparation - make a good tackling strategy for CR, SC and RC and practice practice practice so that I train my intuition to think similarly. I think that will help.
Re: 640(Q: 48, V 31) - Need advise   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2009, 06:58