Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 02:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

640-Q 48, Verbal 31

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
640-Q 48, Verbal 31 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 03:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Today I gave my final test. I was expecting good results this time as I had worked hard on verbal. In my last attempt, ih ad scored 610 (Q 47, verbal 27) around 2 months back. I covered manhatten again, attempted various tests also and had developed ocnfidence in it. During the today's test also, I was more comfortable in the verbal section as compared to quant section. Overall after attempting, I was expecting a descent score of at least 710. but when the score page came, i was shcoked with overall score 640 Q48, verbal 31. the schock was more so because I didnt expect this low in verbal. I dnt know wht went wrong.
Please guide me how to overcome this verbal monster as everythime it lowers my score drasticaly. Though neglish is not my native language but I am pretty comfortable with the language. also I have read all the basic rules.
PLS HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited by ritula on 05 Dec 2008, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 640-Q 48, Verbal 31 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 04:42
You are almost there.. little more effort -> you will score over 700...
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: LBS
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: 640-Q 48, Verbal 31 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 05:24
This post received
KUDOS
dude i dont know abt 710 but i will tell u that the GMAT verbal has very little to do with English fluency (obviously the more fluent it helps but the converse doesn't necessarily pull u down) back in the dorms I saw my room mate struggle with the verbal before I took my test. His idea was to hell with the tit-bit of the rules, grasp the major stuff, especially RC and the CRl stuff, u just need to be smart abt them, like any computer game, their is a pattern, decipher it, get it, remember it, practice it, try it out till u r damn sure about it. About the SC its tricky, if u get the hang of it as it is then u r through, otherwise its going to take a long time in learning the keys of language and being good enough at it to say that a certain sentence is correct or not. So just go over all the SC questions and see if this works for u (it worked fine for me):

Read the first Sentence and just ask urself 1 thing as u read it. (1) Is something wrong with it. If u dont find any click 'A' and move on, (2) In case u r unsure ascertain on your own what shld or could be the right form of the Sentence, then look for it in the options, DO NOT read them all as u usually do. Now its likely that when u try this in ur practice u often find that the sentence form u establish on ur own is not among the options...this doesn't mean u start reading the options fully, DO (2) again... I agree with my room-mate's opinion reading all the options when u dont know whats the right form of the sentence just further pushes u in the dark.

If u r unsure of this method, try it out at a go with 15-20 SC questions without checking ur answers but do verify if ur first instinct is right more often than ur final answer. Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: 640-Q 48, Verbal 31 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 06:22
SC can be hard for non native speakers ( i am the one too)
so many idioms and sometimes words we never seen before

Also, how did u do in RC?

I used to do terrible before i was taking some notes, and now i did improve but still i often miss ' what was the main point' etc. sometimes it just does not make any sense

After all, that score is not too bad as u think and u were very very close to 700

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: 640-Q 48, Verbal 31 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 05:27
ritula,
you are almost there. If you raise 2 points in Quant and 2 points in Verbal, you get your desired score (or 1 in quant and 3 or 4 in verbal ... somehting like that but very few points u need).. keep trying... goodluck.
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 640-Q 48, Verbal 31 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 21:34
Thanks a lot 2 all for kind advise. It was really encouraging.
Re: 640-Q 48, Verbal 31   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2008, 21:34