Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 02:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

I scored 640 ( Q-49, V-27) should I retake

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
WE: Business Development (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

I scored 640 ( Q-49, V-27) should I retake [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2012, 08:17
I appeared for my GMAT today and I scored 640 ( Q-49, V-27). I would like to mention here that my mock GMAT scores at home were way higher i.e. 690-730( Q-47-50 and V 36-41). I strongly believe that I can do better in GMAT if I retake it in another two months. Retaking in two months means I would be missing the first round of application dates for some of the schools.

I am planning to apply in ISB- India, IIM-C - India, London Business School, Oxford- Said, Judge- Cambridge, INSEAD

I have done Bachelor of Planning followed by Masters in Urban Planning from School of Planning and Architecture,Delhi, India. I dont know how to calculate GPA but in Undergrad and post grad my percentage was 70% and 73% ( the topper of the batch did not cross 80% in any case)

I have 5 + yrs work experience in India. My experience comprises of extensive experience in planning design implementation and project management of Public Transportation Project.

I also have memberships of esteemed professional institutes of India.
And yes I am a female candidate

My question here is do I stand any chance in any of the schools I have mentioned. Or should I retake GMAT
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: I scored 640 ( Q-49, V-27) should I retake [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 00:11
rupanandy wrote:
I appeared for my GMAT today and I scored 640 ( Q-49, V-27). I would like to mention here that my mock GMAT scores at home were way higher i.e. 690-730( Q-47-50 and V 36-41). I strongly believe that I can do better in GMAT if I retake it in another two months. Retaking in two months means I would be missing the first round of application dates for some of the schools.

I am planning to apply in ISB- India, IIM-C - India, London Business School, Oxford- Said, Judge- Cambridge, INSEAD

I have done Bachelor of Planning followed by Masters in Urban Planning from School of Planning and Architecture,Delhi, India. I dont know how to calculate GPA but in Undergrad and post grad my percentage was 70% and 73% ( the topper of the batch did not cross 80% in any case)

I have 5 + yrs work experience in India. My experience comprises of extensive experience in planning design implementation and project management of Public Transportation Project.

My question here is do I stand any chance in any of the schools I have mentioned. Or should I retake GMAT

Hi,

Even for a non female applicant this profile is good as SPA is a good brand and your experience is obviously diverse since very few applicants from planning and architecture apply to B schools. Being a female gives you and edge as the pool is further reduced.

All schools in your list are top Indian and UK schools with avg GMAT in range of 690-720 and hence we would strongly recommend that you retake gmat and apply in R2 if you miss R1. You will have to have to skip IIMC for this year as there is no R2.

Apphelp Team

Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Preparing for GMAT? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: http://www.blog.apphelp.co.in
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/apphelpconsulting

Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 6

Re: I scored 640 ( Q-49, V-27) should I retake [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 01:11
rupanandy wrote:

Hi Rupanandy,

You have a decent profile with good academics. And seeing your profile, I think you do stand a good chance in full time programs of the b schools listed by you. But definitely retake your GMAT to give your application an extra boost.

Regarding your GPA, as per the score mentioned by you, as per my calculation you have around 3.5 GPA. You can know more about GPA Calculation herehttp://www.general-ed.com/faq

It is highly recommended to seek assistance from professional consultants for guidance who can more closely review your situation and provide you with a list of B Schools where you would have chances of converting your application to admission. You should also get your essays reviewed from them before sending it along with your application to better your prospects.

You can visit http://www.general-ed.com/Online-GMAT-Preparation to know more about Online GMAT Classes and http://www.general-ed.com/MBA-essay-analysis to learn more about professional essay evaluation services and http://www.general-ed.com/mba-counseling to see how General Ed can help you with MBA counselling and Application Evaluation.

Also if you happen to be based in Delhi/Mumbai/Bangalore you can attend a MBA workshop by Directors of Admissions, ISB along with alumnus of various global B-Schools during the dates mentioned in this links http://www.general-ed.com/workshops-and-seminars

I would suggest you to start early rather than wait. Finalize the schools that you would like to target and start working on their applications.

Feel free to reach out to know more regarding our experiences with candidates with similar backgrounds.

Regards
Neha Singh
http://www.general-ed.com/

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Re: I scored 640 ( Q-49, V-27) should I retake   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2012, 01:11