Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 00:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

640 to 730 in 2 months period, 4 weeks of study

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

640 to 730 in 2 months period, 4 weeks of study [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 12:45
I am here to debrief and show my gratitude towards gmatclub.
I scored 730 (49Q, 42V) last Monday. In December I had scored 640. An increase of 90 points in 1 month worth of studying.

I do have few pointers to share if anybody’s interested. But without going into too much detail, one thing I’d like to say is PRACTICE and practice the right thing.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 550 [0], given: 114

Re: 640 to 730 in 2 months period, 4 weeks of study [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 16:51
Affiliations: IIT Alumni Association, ISB Alumni Association
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 27

Re: 640 to 730 in 2 months period, 4 weeks of study [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 21:16
Congrats - glad that your hard work has paid off!:)

Waiting for your debrief....:)

Cheers

Santanu

A KUDO A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY

Introducing Best Debrief Writer & Contributor of the Month!: introducing-best-debrief-writer-contributor-of-the-month-127355.html
My GMAT debrief: gmat-760-50-q-42-v-satisfied-124675.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: 640 to 730 in 2 months period, 4 weeks of study [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 23:13
hey, congo mate...great score..really looking forward to what magical u did in one month to raise ur score so high.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: 640 to 730 in 2 months period, 4 weeks of study [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2012, 23:56
Congrats on the great score, but a more detailed debrief would be nice! What were the main materials that you used to study with?
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 04-23-2012

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Re: 640 to 730 in 2 months period, 4 weeks of study [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 00:38
Congrats and good luck for apps

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: 640 to 730 in 2 months period, 4 weeks of study [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 00:50
Congrats Man !!!

Superb score waiting for your debreif as well.

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 9

Re: 640 to 730 in 2 months period, 4 weeks of study [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 14:25
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry, it took longer than I anticipated to get back here.
One edit, I scored 41 on verbal not 42 as I first reported. But the total score IS 730 (Q49, V41)

Debrief:
First of all, site like gmatclub.com is an amazing resource. I had signed up for question of the day and that kind of kept me in the GMAT mindset everyday. One difference I noticed on this site, compared to others, is that responses are much quicker when you poste a question. That's a valuable feedback mechanism for a student.

What I did to get 640

I did a lot of research on the materials and I think I made the right decision as far as the books are concerned:
Sentence Correction: Manhattan GMAT
Critical Reasoning: PowerScore
Reading Comprehension: Manhattan GMAT
Quant: Manhattan GMAT Advanced Quant

I think these were valuable tools to build your basics. I am an engineer and I didn't pay too much attention to Quant Basics; but not paying attention to Quant overall was a huge mistake.
Other than these, I also purchased Magoosh. Once you have finished your basics you can goto Magoosh for fun way to exercise as their explanations are good and well recorded. They are also very prompt on their support.

I postponed my test two times as I thought I just wasn't ready to take it.
Tests I took:
All 6 MGMAT Tests. My scores ranged from 640-710, rise and fall were random.
GMATPrep: 680 and 710.

I have read high praises for MGMAT tests and I think they are pretty good; but they are tougher than most GMAT question in terms of time required to solve. I felt like they are not very good representative of the GMAT questions; but if you can get most of the questions on MGMAT then you can ace GMAT Quant.

So, after months of reading I finally appeared for the test. I hadn't done much studying the day earlier (except for the light morning studying) and was ready to go. I had a parking situation the day of the test (I know I should've visited the center earlier) but that was a non factor. I took the test and noticed Quants were too easy. MGMAT test primed me to do the Quant faster, as I would always run out of time. This rushed me throught the actual test and I ended up finishing Quant 6 minutes earlier. later I found I was getting easy questions because I just wasn't answering them right. I thought 38 in Verbal wasn't too bad so I was okay with my verbal.
I decided to take the test soon.

What I did to get 730:

I took a month long break and then around 1st week of Jan, I started looking for the next available test date. I liked Feb 13th and signed up for it.
I knew I needed more practice on Quant; but I also knew there was something missing in my approach to Quant, namely DS.

I realized I was rushing through the Quant section and picking the easy answers. This was the biggest cause of why I crashed on Quants. I think I must have answered many DS questions wrong; many times I'd just pick E because I thought the answer wasn't sufficient. I then drilled it in my head to answer DS question differently; this was the biggest thing that caused a paradigm shift on my approach. Don't answer whether an answer to the DS question is sufficient or not. Try to find out how you can make the answer sufficient rather.
If you exhaust your options then move on. This specially applies if the answer choice is too obvious; GMAT is trying to trick you there so don't fall for it.

For verbal, I tried eGmat SC, the free version. I really think they have put together a nice program. I didn't pay for it since I was already scoring 38. I then reviewed Manhattan GMAT SC guide. I practiced few more from OG.

Once I had my approach right, I realized I knew more questions for Quant to practice from. Now that I had already taken one real GMAT test, I also realized that you shouldn't practice any question set if you want to efficiently manage your time. Practicing certainly helps, but who has months and months to practice anything thrown to you. Manhattan GMAT Advanced Quant, and other Quant materials out there are good, but occasionally they do go beyond the scope or the structure of the question typical in GMAT; specially if you want to score over 40 but are OK scoring under 50. I had read good things about Jeff Sackman's challenge set and started doing his questions. The sets have great questions and very close to GMAT; but they do get repetative and sometimes slighly out of the scope; but they were as close as you can get to GMAT except for the OG questions themselves. The ones that helped me most were Data Sufficiency and Extreme Challenge set.
In my question to stick close to GMAT Questions, I attempted PowerPrep tests. I also bought Paper Test (1 set) and FOCUS (all 3) from GMAC site. I did all the verbal (and few Quant) questions on Paper Test. FOCUS was extremely helpful even though few questions were repeated from the OG.
For every questions missed on FOCUS, GMATPrep and PowerPrep I made sure I understood why I missed it and that I attempted it after 7 days. I had to repeat on few questions until I got them right next time (after a week). This helped.

For SC, I have read this advice many times and I'd reiterate it. You have plenty of questions in OG to practice from. For every question, fist find out a reason why the wrong optiosn are wrong. For each option, I'd summarize the error (such as parallelism, modifier error etc). Instead of picking the right one, pick why others are wrong. In real test, you obviously won't be writing why an option is wrong but mentally you will process it and move onto another option. This slowed down my speed but was well worth it.

I retook the test; I again had minor setback in the morning (forgot to bring my residency paper, license isn't enough if you are not a citizen); but since I had arrived an hour earlier I had enough time to go back and get the required papers. Quant went well but I was very hungry around Verbal time. I suggest you take a pack of nuts, they help (I forgot to take it from my car). This made me very weak during the test and I skipped 2 questions in verbal just to retain the focus. This didn't have too bad of an effect as I scored 41 finally.

In summmary:

1. Practice helps. Practicing the right material could be the key to efficiently utilize the time you have. Make sure the questions are as close to the GMAT (OG, GMATPREP questions) as possible.

2. Don't rush in your practice. It is more important that you are learning and moving forward, than finishing 100 questions in 3 days. Have a plan, but be flexible. You don't have to finish all the problems you planned to solve, but it is important that you learn from your mistakes.

3. If you find your approach is not working, try reversing the approach. Instead of picking the right answer, find out why other answers are wrong. Pick a reason to eliminate an answer.

4. For DS, find a way to solve the problem with given options. Give up only after you have exhausted your resources; doing all this in 2 minutes will be a challenge and practice helps on this situations.

5. For AWA (I scored 6/6 last time) analysis of argument, list out all the premises, assumption and main conclusion before you start your essay. Then attack the assumption, and premise if applicable.

I hope this helps. You can raise the score in as little as one month as long as you realize what your weakness is and modify your approach accordingly.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: 640 to 730 in 2 months period, 4 weeks of study [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2012, 04:55
congrats on the improvement. I scored 640 and target 700+ as well. What was your Quant score on the first test?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: 640 to 730 in 2 months period, 4 weeks of study [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 11:08
fiendex wrote:
congrats on the improvement. I scored 640 and target 700+ as well. What was your Quant score on the first test?

My Quant was 39 and Verbal was 38 in my first test.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: 640 to 730 in 2 months period, 4 weeks of study [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 11:31
pdshah wrote:
fiendex wrote:

My Quant was 39 and Verbal was 38 in my first test.

That is exactly the same score and breakdown that I got :) I think I will try and follow your example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 38

Re: 640 to 730 in 2 months period, 4 weeks of study [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 02:06
wow great comeback story!!!! How did you improve your quant that significantly? were u using additional material?
Re: 640 to 730 in 2 months period, 4 weeks of study   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2012, 02:06