Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 08:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

640 two times in a row...need help...any suggestions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

640 two times in a row...need help...any suggestions [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2006, 11:04
Looking for advice from someone that has experienced something similar.

I have taken the GMAT twice now (two months apart) and both times scored a 640.
1. Qn (80), Verbal (69), AWA (5.5)
2. Qn. (73), Verbal (71) AWA (5.5)

I have concentrated on the 11th OG and the respective Quan. And verbal workbooks. Basically did every problem for math and sentence correction. For math, some questions several times. I do not feel week in any specific area, especially in math. I have taken at least a dozen GMAT prep exams and every time scored well over 700. Of course after a while some questions are repeats so it’s not very accurate. Also, I have not taken any GMAT prep course.

For both exams I felt confident and did not feel that I goofed in anyway with regards to strategy. I was also alert during both exams.

What can I try to get me passed this 640 block? Suggestions? Thanks.

PS. I am not looking for upper 700. :?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2006, 11:46
what are you aiming for? what do you think you can reasonably achieve?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2006, 12:36
hobbit wrote:
what are you aiming for? what do you think you can reasonably achieve?

They say that 660 and above is desirable for top 5 schools. I would say that my goal is to reach at least 660. After getting my first 640, I thought that I could reach 660 by just getting a few more questions correctly, but I think it's harder than that considering I got 640 again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2006, 12:54
it is hard to say what can you do to improve without knowing you. it is also difficult to say whether you need at all to improve. i personally don't think that the difference between 640 and 660 will make a big difference on your application, especially since they adcoms can see it is the 3rd time you take it. however - i'm not the right person to comment on that. i'm not applying for MBA so i don't know how adcoms actually make of such changes.

i also think that there is a potnetial "burn out" that you might experience. which may affect your performance (not in the correct side)...

so i'd think twice more before if you should give gmat a third chance or spend the effort and time in making other parts of the applications good (or just have fun....).

having said all that, and without knowing your weak and strong points - i'd say that DS in the quant and CR in the verbal are areas where improvements can be made without too much studying.
these are the areas where most make "unnecesssary mistakes". and my guess is that these questions are responsible for the quant score drop between your gmat1 and gmat2.

i can't say much about the verbal part as i'm no expert on this. on the quant part you probably don't need to study more math. you just have to practice carefully, paying attention to underlying logic and possible traps.

if you have specific questions on math... just ask, i'll be happy to help.

good luck anyway...
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2006, 12:56
You're probably right....there's not that much difference between 640 and 660. I should probably just concentrate on the essays.
Thanks for your advice.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2006, 19:22
I would agree that 640 vs. 660 is insignificant. One won't get you in any more than the other will keep you out.

Brilliant essays, however, can truly make a difference.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2006, 19:26
If you really want to take it again, aim higher.
E.g. if you wanna get 660. aim for 700.
if you wanna get 700, aim for 750.

because if you aim for 660, usually you will score lower than 660. :-D
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2006, 04:10
tennis_ball wrote:
If you really want to take it again, aim higher.
E.g. if you wanna get 660. aim for 700.
if you wanna get 700, aim for 750.

because if you aim for 660, usually you will score lower than 660. :-D

Tennis_Ball,

Agreed. But the key for me is to figure out what additional steps am I missing in my preparation to allow me to reach 700. I feel as if I have exhausted all my options.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2006, 10:04
Well, you could take a prep course.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2006, 23:46
Cedars wrote:

Tennis_Ball,

Agreed. But the key for me is to figure out what additional steps am I missing in my preparation to allow me to reach 700. I feel as if I have exhausted all my options.

Probably the state of mind or rhythm?

you must be very comfortable in scoring over 700 when you do practice tests, i.e. even if you don't feel well, you still can reach about there. Then you know you are there. Sometimes we over perform and score an extremely high score, but u can't ensure u will over perform on the G-day.

To make this, you must identify your strength. so your first objective is to make your strength never fail you. this is ur insurance, so on exam day, no matter how good or bad u do in ur weak section, u won't do too badly.
So is it your quant or is it your verbal? u gotta find it out. Of course I don't mean to ignore ur weak area.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2006, 05:50
LastChance08 wrote:
Well, you could take a prep course.

I second this thought. Consider taking some coaching.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2007, 07:26
hey i got 640 on my first try and on my second, i had the questions that seemed like just the same difficulty as on the first. before getting the scores i thought i would score just like the last time, around 650. but it came out 750. From that i can conclude that gmat sucks, this is just luck. Just go there and try one more time, if you're at least a little smart, you'll get 700+ for sure.

Who needs a test that acts like that and depends so much on luck huh?

i got 640 and 1 month later 750. pffft
  [#permalink] 08 Jan 2007, 07:26