Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 13:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

650 & 1st attempt at GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern (Langone part time)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

650 & 1st attempt at GMAT [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 11:20
Ok, just got back from the exam. Overall, the entire process went much better than I expected. I am actually quite content with 650 given that a) I have not done a single full length test during my study b) I'm not a native speaker. However, I think I can do better. I will definately sit down and try to tackle GMAT again in a couple of weeks.

Quant: 44
Verbal: 36
Total: 650

So after AWA I go into the quant section waaay to fast. By that I mean I literally rushed through the first 12-13 questions in 10 minutes without even knowing! :shock: Yikes! I know next time I will have to slow down, as I finished the entire section with 18 minutes of "free time".
Verbal - I think lack of or at least decreasing focusing ability made a huge negative contribution here. After a couple of questions everything turned into one big...blurr. I did a lot better at home with verbal so I'll try to focus more on this section going forward. Again, I have to work on time mgmt skills, I finished 15 minutes too early. RC was the most difficult part.

My question is, do you guys think that if I am able to bring my verbal score up to 44-45 and keep my quant score at 44, will my overall score get close to the magic 700? Or, should I shoot for improving quant and not worry about verbal? I'm thinking about taking a week or two off from studying and taking the test again sometime in January.

Lastly - is there a big divergence between the scores I received after the exam and the official ones (besides AWA of course). Do they ever change?

Ps. I am shooting for a part time MBA at Stern, their 80% threshold is 620-730, hence 650 is not that bad, all things considered.

BTW, this forum - the tips & trick and all the goodies members contributed to, made a huuuuuge difference, you guys are great!

Thanks for any feedback, much appreciated!

"By not risking anything you may risk even more"
- Marc Faber

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: 650 & 1st attempt at GMAT [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 11:43
your quants score are easier to bring to the 50's cuz u have a definite base there. . since you are not a native speaker, verbal will be comparitively difficult to improve IMO. .But will a Q50 and V35 be enough to get a 700??

But since you have time till january give verbal your best fight. Start with your basics again and then move on to dedicated practice sessions.

I Think you can easily ace the GMAT. . Good verbal or not. .

Cheers :)
Manager
Manager

Re: 650 & 1st attempt at GMAT [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 12:00
Hey actually i think you can cross 700 with 50/35 split. . so heads up :)
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern (Langone part time)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 650 & 1st attempt at GMAT [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 12:33
kyro wrote:
Hey actually i think you can cross 700 with 50/35 split. . so heads up :)

so is Q50 necessary to get +700
re verbal, I'm not a native speaker but fluent in english. i KNOW i can do better than 36 :)

"By not risking anything you may risk even more"
- Marc Faber

Manager
Manager

Re: 650 & 1st attempt at GMAT [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 12:42
I'm not saying you can't improve your verbal my friend. I'm saying it would be easier to improve your quants to 50 level as you already have quite a good foundation there. So as such Q50 is not necessary, but in your case it seems the logical thing to do, i.e. to work towards gettin Q50. But thats just me. .

Good luck :)
Re: 650 & 1st attempt at GMAT   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2010, 12:42