Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

650 (actual) from GMATPrep of 700 (twice) :( :( - Retake?? -

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 57

650 (actual) from GMATPrep of 700 (twice) :( :( - Retake?? - [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2013, 17:54
Gents and Ladies,
A little background : I am an indian IT male :( with an above average undergrad GPA + :-D (non-IIT) with a Masters from a very reputed US University :) . My job includes software R&D at one of the biggest US firms in wireless/embedded systems. So, effectively, I am an indian IT Male, an ubiquitous species which is rejected to a large extent by the adcoms because of their sheer over-exposure :(. BTW, I have a casual blog which is widely appreciated by my few friends, hence I personally did not think my verbal was that bad!! But the GMAT brought me down to earth and pounded the hell out of me esp. Verbal (29) :oops:

GMAT preparation: Started to take GMAT seriously in October 2012. Bought GMAT OG, Kaplan 800 and MGMAT SC,CR. Didn't go full throttle till December 2012. By January, I made up my mind to take the GMAT by March end. So, started reading guides, solving questions and doing everything needed to improve my verbal ( weak as it is for many non-native speakers). My first diagnostic showed me 650 on Kaplan. From there, I tried to improve consistently by checking OG answers and realizing my mistakes. CR is also a problem with me. I don't get convinced by some of the 700+ OG answers.

GMAT prep suggestions: MGMAT + OG is good enough. The CR bible is also good. Won't put my money on Kaplan, though. :(

GMAT mock scores: MGMAT 1 - 650,
MGMAT 2 - 660
MGMAT 3 - 690
MGMAT 3 - 680 - One week before the real deal !!
GMATPrep 1 & 2 - 700

The battle of Normandy : I was expecting atleast 700 or maybe 690. However it was Q49/ V29!! I was initially thinking that IR might be an issue but it was not. One more thing I realized is that preps for Quant are unnecessarily made complicated. Atleast my quant section was a cakewalk with just the OG. No probability/combinatronics till the last question. No circular permutations and all those weird problems. Verbal section was a tad bit complicated with more of critical reasoning questions. RC showed up in the 7th question and made me think I was doing good.

My dilemma is whether I need to attempt this exam again... Primarily looking for weekend/part time MBA in the UCs ( Haas/UCLA/USC)

Gurus, friends, countrymen and all the brethren here who are facing the same issue, kindly share your inputs.... :) Also, please give me some advice on what approach is needed to make the jump from 650 to 700+. I am aware of my handicap, but don't know the direction in which I need to head to achieve my goals.

P.S. Is indian IT male so OVER REPRESENTED that only a 700+ can get you into a Tier-I college??
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: 650 (actual) from GMATPrep of 700 (twice) :( :( - Retake?? - [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 23:58
Experts should give some inputs

Many are in the same boat.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2273

Kudos [?]: 8783 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 650 (actual) from GMATPrep of 700 (twice) :( :( - Retake?? - [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 10:08
Expert's post
Well... your score is a bit below the average for Haas (Top Ranked part time MBA program) and is not that far away from UCLA (685). However, USC is only 600 for average, so you would be very comfortable there (and it is a strong program despite that fact).

I would say - if you think you can effect a change - you can try. E.g. Hire a tutor, study differently. It absolutely is possible to get a higher score. However, after 2 attempts it will probably take a significant amount of effort/frustration to try to move the needle and at that point in time you may as well invest your efforts into essays, recommenders, resume, and your career.

Good Luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 57

Re: 650 (actual) from GMATPrep of 700 (twice) :( :( - Retake?? - [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 21:52
Thanks for your advice. Before the GMAT, I had a lot of confidence in my verbal skills. However, the GMAT seems to be a different beast. I will give it a shot sometime to see if the score improves.

I really appreciate gmatclub members for their verve and ideas about GMAT Prep, applications and everything under the sun about B-Schools.

Thanks!
Re: 650 (actual) from GMATPrep of 700 (twice) :( :( - Retake?? -   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2013, 21:52