Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 07:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

650 GMAT SCORE. NEED RETAKE STRATEGY HELP

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

650 GMAT SCORE. NEED RETAKE STRATEGY HELP [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 06:12
Dear friends,
I appeared for the test yesterday ans scored a dismal 650. I had given myself 14 days of preparation time (time off from work). The 650 includes Q44, V34.

I plan to retake the test but want to know the best strategy to do so. I am thinking of taking another 1 month off from work and practice more. At the end of one month, I will retake the exam.

Any advice on whether the above approach is likely to improve the score? I think I lacked practice time for verbal and was short of time during last few questions in verbal section. Since the concepts are fresh righ now, I thought I better give it a shot now.

I am very confused whether to proceed for a 1 month unpaid leave plan. Please help with any advice you can provide.

Thanks,
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 411 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 650 GMAT SCORE. NEED RETAKE STRATEGY HELP [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
takeithigher wrote:
Dear friends,
I appeared for the test yesterday ans scored a dismal 650. I had given myself 14 days of preparation time (time off from work). The 650 includes Q44, V34.

I plan to retake the test but want to know the best strategy to do so. I am thinking of taking another 1 month off from work and practice more. At the end of one month, I will retake the exam.

Any advice on whether the above approach is likely to improve the score? I think I lacked practice time for verbal and was short of time during last few questions in verbal section. Since the concepts are fresh righ now, I thought I better give it a shot now.

I am very confused whether to proceed for a 1 month unpaid leave plan. Please help with any advice you can provide.

Thanks,

Hi takeithigher,

Have you read the following threads?

Top books:
top-20-best-gmat-books-on-gmat-club-76582.html

Study plan: 650 to 700+
gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html

Have you taken any free practice exams to figure out what your weaknesses are?

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9434 [1] , given: 3700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 650 GMAT SCORE. NEED RETAKE STRATEGY HELP [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 09:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
takeithigher wrote:
Dear friends,

Thanks,

650 is not a bad score. Average is 540, so you are well above the norm. Most schools will be happy with 650 though Top 10 probably will look for something higher and closer to 680 to be happy.

The strategy is likely to work but it depends on your weaknesses. Knowing that will be the key.
Agree with what Mohater suggested - also look around the forum - there are quite a few resources and guides posted by members to do pretty much anything.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Re: 650 GMAT SCORE. NEED RETAKE STRATEGY HELP [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 16:24
Hi friends,
I went through the 650 - 700+ thread. The thread addresses my issue with timing and suggests practice.

I noticed in my gmatprep test 2 that I had 6 SC mistakes and 3 mistakes each in CR and RC. As a result, in the real test I gave more time to SC and ended up having less time for the last few questions. I believe speed is my main issue. I can finish most RCs in OG in 8-10 mins. I can finish most CRs in 2 mins, a few taking 2.5 mins. If given sufficient time to choose, I can get the correct answer almost 100% of the times in CR.
For RC, I do make mistakes sometimes in "primary purpose of author" or "tone of author" type questions. Again, I think its practice.

Can these weaknesses can be tackled via practice within 4 weeks? I also plan to enroll for a 4-session intensive verbal course with HighQ, just to make sure I am not missing anything.
Intern
Intern

Re: 650 GMAT SCORE. NEED RETAKE STRATEGY HELP [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 16:32
To add, I had not studied the MGMAT books on SC,CR and RC during my last attempt. I had gone through kaplan800, OG and OG verbal (purple book).
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 650 GMAT SCORE. NEED RETAKE STRATEGY HELP [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 21:41
anyone wants to prepare for GMAT together ? combined studies ? add my msn
nigam.gautam@hotmail.co m
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 9434 [0], given: 3700

Re: 650 GMAT SCORE. NEED RETAKE STRATEGY HELP [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 22:51
Expert's post
GautamN wrote:
anyone wants to prepare for GMAT together ? combined studies ? add my msn
nigam.gautam@hotmail.co m

You probably want to post that in the Buy/Sell/Do forum, just thinking out loud :roll:

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 9434 [0], given: 3700

Re: 650 GMAT SCORE. NEED RETAKE STRATEGY HELP [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 22:55
Expert's post
Get GMAT Timer and see if you can improve your timing.

As to improvement - you will have some, but it is hard to tell what it will be in 4 weeks. If your verbal foundation is weak, no matter what strategies you follow you will still suffer as long as you don't patch those holes.

Also, use Error Log - that will improve your efficiency. Understand why you made every mistake and do targeted practice - just for that specific question type.

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern

Re: 650 GMAT SCORE. NEED RETAKE STRATEGY HELP [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 01:51
Thanks bb, I will give this one month a shot.

Cheers!
takeithigher
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: 650 GMAT SCORE. NEED RETAKE STRATEGY HELP [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 08:53
Looks like you need to improve Verbal....get MGMAT SC, CR Bible, and read The Economist (no I do not get a commission...)...work on time...narrow down, pick best choice, move on...also make sure you include AWA in simulated CATS to replicate stamina needed...good luck.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: 650 GMAT SCORE. NEED RETAKE STRATEGY HELP [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 08:25
dont the schools put u a bit down if u retake it 2 or 3 times and only get a good score on the last try?
Re: 650 GMAT SCORE. NEED RETAKE STRATEGY HELP   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2011, 08:25