Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

650(Q44,V35):crushed on GMAT, now have to improve the score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

650(Q44,V35):crushed on GMAT, now have to improve the score [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2004, 04:52
so far, failed at GMAT :? . Now, after a break, I’m starting preparation again.

WHAT could I do now to improve my score??
It seemed that I exhausted all suitable sources :(

Could you please advise any materials, system of preparation?

I would exceptially appreciate advises of those of you who managed to improve their scores significanty (I know there are such people!!)

Probably I’ll have 1.5 months for preparation. Is it enough to increase to improve the score?

How I prepared:
1) Official Guide 2003 – solved all math, about 2/3 reading, 2/3 sentence correction, several critical reasonings (as this part was easy for me, I didn’t practice CRs much)
2) Kaplan 2004 – solved all tests
3) Princeton cracking GMAT 2004 – solved all tests
4) Princeton Verbal 2001 – studied the material, made exercises
5) GMAT 800 – taken several tests, too easy
5) Deltacource – studied all material and solved a lot of math

I analyzed all my mistakes and systematized my preparation. I spent 2.5 months on preparation.
Math in Official Guide seemed easy, but I solved all problems to revive my knowledge. However, the biggest problem was attention – made a lot of silly mistakes due to the lack of concentration.

I got myself accustomed to reading in GMAT’s way and I made a sound progress.
I didn’t imroved much in Sentence Correction though.

My scores at trial tests:
PowerPrep: 1st test - 550; 2nd test- 770 (after studying with Official Guide, 1 week before The Test)
Kaplan: diagnostic test 640, further scores ranged from 590 to 650.
Princeton: 1st test 570, 2nd – 710 (2 days after 1st one), then 630 and 700.

It seems that my scores at trial tests ranged significantly depending on my mood, health, etc
(one day at Kaplan I could get 590, and just in 2 days – 650)

During The Test:
I felt that I failed Math but I was confident during verbal part. I was surprised with low verbal score. Probably I made mistakes at Sentence Correction at the beginning of the section, so I got quite easy reading passages.
I also expected Math score to be lower: I got numb with quite simple problems (I realized how simple it was simple only after test;-) and lost a lot of time. I guessed with a lot of questions at the end of the section and didn’t spend proper time for the problem in the middle.

My AWA was exceptionnaly low … merely 3.5 points… I felt quite nervous then and I really need more practice with writing (surprisingly, I’ve got 5.5 out of 6 points on TOEFL essay one week after GMAT).

Please share your experience! :panel
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2004, 12:04
I would focus on sentence correction/grammar questions to raise the verbal score. Keep working on each problem until you can readily explain the answer to someone else.

Hjort
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2004, 12:43
Obviously that you can improve your score in Q part. Solve only hard math questions under time conditions. Good source of these HARD Princton questions. Or take old ARCO book where questions are rated in terms of difficulty. Furthermore, try to find questions on the web, you should know your weak areas (Number theory, geometry, mixtures etc).
With your Verbal it's easy to get 700+ score.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2004, 12:52
For the sake of clarity, I agree that you can increase your Q score as well. I meant that for your work within the V section, I would concentrate on SC.

Hjort
  [#permalink] 22 Oct 2004, 12:52