Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 02:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

650 (Q44,V35) - GMAT Experience; Considering Re-Taking

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Should I retake?

You may select 1 option
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
650 (Q44,V35) - GMAT Experience; Considering Re-Taking [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2011, 11:31
First, I wanted to thank the GMAT Club community at large. The documents and other experiences posted here were invaluable.

I took the GMAT yesterday and scored 650 (Q44, V35). I am very proud of this score. It may not be the best of the best, but I studied hard for this test. Now, I'm considering if I should apply to schools with this score or re-take it.

I started studying in January with Kaplan's book to get a feel for what GMAT studying would entail. I also started by taking the official preptest by GMAC. I scored a 480.

Kaplan wasn't working for me. So, I decided to do the self-study on demand option by Manhattan GMAT. I went thru the entire series and realized that the passive approach wasn't helping either. I needed a tutor but couldn't afford one. I, then, considered taking Veritas and went to the first class as a trial. Again, realized that the classroom option wasn't for me either.

By this time, it was May. I had originally planned on taking the test in June. But, of course, that didn't work out. I had taken a couple of MGMAT tests and was scoring around 600. A huge improvement from my 480! However, not where I wanted to be.

I looked at various tutoring options. But, most were very expensive. So I looked at other prep options and found Master GMAT. I really liked the online tutoring feel. I couldn't fool myself or the system if I got a question wrong. I logged over 100 hours into it. I finished by July. All of August, I focused on the 3 official guides. I completed every single question. During the week leading up to the test, I took a test every day, except the day before. I also focused on all the questions I initially got wrong. The last official GMAT preptest I took was on Thursday (test on Saturday), and I scored a 710! I was beyond ecstatic. Of course, there were 3 questions that I had seen previously but I was still excited. I might actually have a shot.

On test day, I breezed thru the AWA. I almost ran out of time on the QUANT, which completely screwed me up for Verbal because I kept thinking I'm sooo screwed. But, to my surprise, I got a 650.

Now, I'm applying to Wharton, Darden, Tuck, Duke, and Georgetown.

My profile:
GPA - 3.59
Undergrad - Ivy in New York
Grad - MA from Ivy in New York
AmeriCorps VISTA experience
Currently working in international development in the States
Overall 2 years.
Volunteer experience: leadership in fundraising

Should I retake the GMAT? It's such a huge load off my shoulders. I know that I can study and probably score a little better. While, I currently do about 20% statistical analysis at my job, I come from a humanities background with little quant. But is it worth it for 20 extra points?

Any help you guys can provide.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
650 (Q44,V35) - GMAT Experience; Considering Re-Taking   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2011, 11:31