Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

650 (Q49, V30) - Should I retry? Advice please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

650 (Q49, V30) - Should I retry? Advice please [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2011, 16:45
Hi All,

I haven't been much active on the GMAT Club but have been using its resources well. Finally, now I get the chance to post my second topic after my GMAT test today.

The score is at least 30 points below my expectations and my practice scores. I have been consistently getting 660-680 in my practice tests (MGMAT, GMAT Prep, PowerPrep, 800 Score). So, I'm not sure whether my final score is in line with these scores.

I'm targeting R1 applications and so it looks like I will not have much time this year if I have to re-take it. Can someone please look at my profile and advice if my application looks strong for these schools:
1. Indiana University: Kelley
2. University of North Carolina: Kenan-Flagler
3. University of Minnesota: Carlson

I'm a graduate in Civil engg from a reputed university in India (NIT Kurukshetra) with 80% score (the class highest being 84.3). I do not know how to calculate GPA. I saw couple of posts saying schools will not ask for the GPA, but rather for score and scale. I heard from one of my friends selected to Olin-Washington at St.Louis that there was no provision to enter the percentage, but have to enter only GPA. Guidance here would be a lot helpful.
Work experience : 5.2 yrs as of today in India's top IT Company (TCS). Have been working at client location in US from 13 months.
Extra-curricular activities : Involved in lots of activities at the college-level and at work. Best Cadet amongst the college National Cadet Corps, Secretary of SPIC MACAY at the college level, Appreciations from CEO of TCS and NASSCOM for social-welfare activities. I'm not sure about the value addition of all these to my app.

Can someone help me by advising on my selection chances for the above mentioned schools?

Thanks,
Satish.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2138

Kudos [?]: 7347 [0], given: 3619

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 650 (Q49, V30) - Should I retry? Advice please [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2011, 20:44
Expert's post
Hm.... Your score seems to be in line with Kelley but UNC average is 700 and that may warrant a retake (though your stats are pretty impressive and you may be OK).

Look here for averages:
2011-mba-rankings-99812.html?fl=menu

The usual question about retakes is - do you have the time for it?
If you do, then it may be worthwhile to try for UNC and for a higher score, so it is out of the question but if your time is scarce and you need time to finish essays, then I would focus 100% of your time there.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 650 (Q49, V30) - Should I retry? Advice please [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2011, 22:13
Hm.... Your score seems to be in line with Kelley but UNC average is 700 and that may warrant a retake (though your stats are pretty impressive and you may be OK).

Look here for averages:
2011-mba-rankings-99812.html?fl=menu

The usual question about retakes is - do you have the time for it?
If you do, then it may be worthwhile to try for UNC and for a higher score, so it is out of the question but if your time is scarce and you need time to finish essays, then I would focus 100% of your time there.

Thank you very much for you reply BB.

Can you please let me know the chances for Carlson, Minnesota?

I do not have time for a retake as I will be busy with tight work schedule in the next couple of months. Also, I do not want to retake for 20-30 points.

I was told that I can look at the 80% score range if the profile is good. For my profile, can you let me know the top schools where I have good chances?

Thanks,
Satish.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2138

Kudos [?]: 7347 [0], given: 3619

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 650 (Q49, V30) - Should I retry? Advice please [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 13:35
Expert's post
I don't know the Carlson stats off hand but I can't imagine them being better than Kelley, so the 80% range is a good measure and i would suggest NOT to retake in your situation.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: 650 (Q49, V30) - Should I retry? Advice please   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2011, 13:35