Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

650 to 700+ - possible and strategy?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
650 to 700+ - possible and strategy? [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 21:33
I know something like this has probably been posted many times, but I wasn't able to find one.

I need help to come up with a good strategy. My situation as the topic suggests, I am currently sitting tight and pretty on a 650 score (Q42/V37). Got that with serious 2 months prep (1 hour a weekday, 5 hours on the weekdays). I know that I could do better for my verbal as I was scoring around 45 before the exams.

I used Kaplan (barely touched the book after I browsed through it the first time - it was an introductory book for me), OG 11, Manhattan GMAT Review Verbal SC.

I've just gotten a couple of ScoreTop sets and will be hitting them everyday.

Expected to take the exam again in June/July.

Anyway other advice on what materials I should be using? I also plan to check out GMAT club on a daily basis :P Or any other strategies?

In terms of daily time, I'm up around 6.30am, and back home at 8pm, hitting the bed at maybe 10.30pm. I'm the type that needs 8 hours sleep, so it would be hard for me to wake up at 4am and study until 7am every morning. I've tried, and it just throws me out of whack.

So, I figure I can put in at least a good 1 1/2 hours a day, and 4-6 on the weekend, or maybe even push it harder on the weekend and touch 8 hours a day.

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 00:35
Interesting situation adc.

You can make a reasonable amount of improvement on your score through both the Verbal & Quant side.

It strikes me you have focussed on the verbal so far (purely through the books you have) - make sure you put some work into the Quant. Typically you will see quicker results there, and pushing your quant up to 48 will get you a 700.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 05:04
When you say your were scoring around 45 on verbal before the exams, you mean on GMATPrep? That's an amazing verbal score, if you can make that happen on the real thing, I think that alone will add over a hundred points to your score.

And like 3underscore said, quant is the easier section in terms of gaining ground in a short amount of time. Sounds like you should just buckle down and study hard and you'll do great.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2007, 17:09
thanks guys for the support

but I always thought that more value was given to verbal instead of quant? i.e. a V45 is worth more than a Q45?

if I maintained my V at where it is now (not pushing it up), but push my Q from a 42 to maybe a 47 or 48 .. would that bring me up to 700?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2007, 18:33
johnnyx9 wrote:
When you say your were scoring around 45 on verbal before the exams, you mean on GMATPrep? That's an amazing verbal score, if you can make that happen on the real thing, I think that alone will add over a hundred points to your score.

And like 3underscore said, quant is the easier section in terms of gaining ground in a short amount of time. Sounds like you should just buckle down and study hard and you'll do great.

It won't add 100 points to his score - my breakdown was 43 Q, 45 V and I got a 710 overall. He could certainly add 50-60 to his score by scoring 45 on the V and it would get him right around the 700 level. But it's such a lopsided score (the Q is around 70%) that the top schools may still be wary of it.

adc_away, I think it would be better for you to get your quantitative score up if you can. Schools look at more than just the overall score - they prefer you to be above 80% on both sections. Your verbal is already there - and it's generally thought to be easier to improve on the quantitative section. Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2007, 19:48
Sorry, I think you meant get my verbal score up. My V is only 71% now, while my Q is at 85%

?

Should I focus on my V or Q?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2007, 21:07
adc_away wrote:
Sorry, I think you meant get my verbal score up. My V is only 71% now, while my Q is at 85%

?

Should I focus on my V or Q?

Am I getting your scores wrong? In your first post, I thought you said that you got a 42 Q, 37 V. My official score report is from early December, but it says that a 42 Q is around 70%, and that a 37 V is around 83%. My apologies if I misread anything.

My overall point still stands - top schools have stated a preference for an 80/80 on the GMAT. You can get a decent score by scoring really well on one and weaker on the other, but it's better to be strong on both.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2007, 21:31
Oh my

Maybe I should look at my scores more closely. I think you could be right, but I haven't really checked out the scores. Was a bit disappointed so I left it at that.

No wonder schools have been rejecting me :(

Right, I always thought my Q was giving me the higher score, if that's the case, then I'll work on my Q and push it up. Working on Q seems easier than working on V... V is like an art, Q is just thinking. :P
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2007, 22:04
adc_away wrote:
thanks guys for the support

but I always thought that more value was given to verbal instead of quant? i.e. a V45 is worth more than a Q45?

if I maintained my V at where it is now (not pushing it up), but push my Q from a 42 to maybe a 47 or 48 .. would that bring me up to 700?

It is true, V45 is like 97% and Q45 under 80%. However, improving Q seems to be easier with practice than improving V. Hence, it would make more sense to improve Q. Additionally, improving anything from top 75% to top 85 - 90% is by definition easier than improving from 97% to 99%.

Hope it helps. L.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2007, 00:36
So, my quest shall be to become a quant god.

Other than GMAT Club and lots of practice, any advise on how I could achieve godlike quant?
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2007, 04:36
there isn't any. math is routine - there really is no other way other than running through it time and time and time and time again. Especially in the case of GMAT stuff.

There are a few bits you will need to focus on that are high end of the scale - I can't say which, because it depends on your personal logic style.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2007, 07:43
I don't think you need 4-5 months to study. At the rate you're planning on, you're going to burn yourself out. There is more to life and the b-school application process than the GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2007, 11:47
Maybe keeping an error log would work to your advantage.

You can use it to track what kinds of problems in quant you're frequently getting wrong and then focus on those areas.
  [#permalink] 23 Mar 2007, 11:47