Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [22]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V24
Send PM
Re: 650 to 740...Persistence is the key!!! [#permalink]
Hey Rohit,

That is one of the best debriefs I have read so far. The examples you gave regarding the problems are I believe sometimes more of a hindrance during prep and mocks that make the difference between an average score and a good score. I guess concepts and technical things are easier to take care but the issues you mentioned are the ones which if taken care and fixed can go a long way in having a good GMAT experience.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hi akhileshdas,
I'm glad you found the debrief useful. Right..My experience is that after a certain point its the "soft" issues that matter and hinder our performance...This is exactly what I liked about e-GMAT as well. They focus on the basics. When e-GMAT talks about SC they don't talk about grammar, rules etc. etc. like other companies they talk about "meaning". At the end why do you need to correct a sentence? It is to convey the intended meaning..Similarly in RC/CR e-GMAT always talks about comprehension and not about weird reading strategies that are scattered all over..

Anyways,
Let me know if you've any questions for me or if I could be of any help...
Best of Luck :-D

akhileshdas wrote:
Hey Rohit,

That is one of the best debriefs I have read so far. The examples you gave regarding the problems are I believe sometimes more of a hindrance during prep and mocks that make the difference between an average score and a good score. I guess concepts and technical things are easier to take care but the issues you mentioned are the ones which if taken care and fixed can go a long way in having a good GMAT experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 2.9
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Rohit,

Really impressed with your answer. Where did you finally end up?
I have given GMAT 3 times myself with a score of 650, 650 and 700.
Although 700 is decent I know it will get me nowhere. All the 3 times my Quant was 51, 50 and 50.
I need to focus on my verbal which has been 27, 28 and 34.
I am thinking of taking the Verbal online course in e-gmat. Will that suffice or should I prefer something else?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Send PM
As you can probably see from my status, I am joining Kellogg this summer.
On your GMAT part I would definitely recommend e-GMAT. I would recommend taking the verbal live prep as there not much of cost difference and the live classes are a great value addition. Having said that, you have already made good progress in verbal from 27 to 34. Hence, I would take a moment before signing up for a new course and introspect why you have made this progress. There is surely something you're doing right that has led to this score improvement. If you can introspect, identify it and reinforce the same approach, you might not need a new course at all. Best of luck :thumbup:

akay91 wrote:
Hi Rohit,

Really impressed with your answer. Where did you finally end up?
I have given GMAT 3 times myself with a score of 650, 650 and 700.
Although 700 is decent I know it will get me nowhere. All the 3 times my Quant was 51, 50 and 50.
I need to focus on my verbal which has been 27, 28 and 34.
I am thinking of taking the Verbal online course in e-gmat. Will that suffice or should I prefer something else?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
Send PM
Hi Rohit,

I have been preparing for gmat since march last year with some breaks in between owing to personal commitments. Though i have done most of the material like Manhattan and official guides i am still hovering between 600-650. My target is over 700 like around 740 quant is going 47-48 in mocks but verbal is not improving still 28-31. I have also exhausted the two gmatprep mocks but didn't cross 650. I seem to complete the verbal section on time and don't really have to rush as such though there are few guesses here and there. I do not know till how long i can keep preparing and still setting stuck at this level. What else can i work on to improve my score and achieve my target of over 700.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Rohit,

Can you tell me how long did you prepare before going from 650 to 740, as in number of hours per day and time duration overall (in months), rest you have added is of lot of help.
!
Thanks

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Send PM
Buddy,
You r facing an issue which majority of people face. Trust me when I say that. Over the last few months I have helped a lot of GMAT aspirants and around 95% of them sound like you do. My advice is very simple: You did Manhattan, you did OG, you did X, you did Y...To me all this makes absolutely no sense. The question is: WHY you did OG? WHY you did Manhattan? WHY you took X test series? WHY you redid the Y book? I hope you get my point...

As I have mentioned in my debrief INTROSPECTION is the key to success on GMAT. The earlier you do it the faster you'll get the result. I know it's difficult. Hence I recommend e-GMAT's course as that gives step by step analysis of your strengths and weaknesses, which otherwise are difficult to spot and track. It provide you with "data" about your ability in a particular topic hence you can pin point your weaknesses and work on them. Again, I am not promoting e-GMAT. I am just telling you what worked for me.

Does it help?

kreel11 wrote:
Hi Rohit,

I have been preparing for gmat since march last year with some breaks in between owing to personal commitments. Though i have done most of the material like Manhattan and official guides i am still hovering between 600-650. My target is over 700 like around 740 quant is going 47-48 in mocks but verbal is not improving still 28-31. I have also exhausted the two gmatprep mocks but didn't cross 650. I seem to complete the verbal section on time and don't really have to rush as such though there are few guesses here and there. I do not know till how long i can keep preparing and still setting stuck at this level. What else can i work on to improve my score and achieve my target of over 700.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Ankit,
As I have mentioned in my debrief I have intentionally omitted that information as every person is different and have their own set of commitments. Generally speaking, if you study 2-3 hours on weekdays and somewhere between 6-10 hours on weekends, that should suffice. A 3 month period is good enough to hit a good score "if" you do it right the first time. I took much much longer than that, but that's because I understood things quite late :)
All the best...
ankitbokaria wrote:
Hi Rohit,

Can you tell me how long did you prepare before going from 650 to 740, as in number of hours per day and time duration overall (in months), rest you have added is of lot of help.
!
Thanks

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I will add a couple of data points to Rohit's response regarding the amount of time required:

1. Study Strategy: The amount of time required is much lower if you have a defined study strategy - Target Quant/Verbal scores and corresponding percentiles for SC/CR/RC/Algebra/Arithematic. Use GMAT Planner if you have not used the same to decide on the same.

2. Focus: Studying one topic and completing the same is a lot more efficient than studying multiple topics at one time.

3. Use of Analytics: Tools that highlight where you need to improve can save tens of hours from your preparation.

I hope the above helps. Also attend the Critical reasoning webinar that we have this weekend. Please click here to register for the same.

Regards,

Rajat Sadana
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Persistence is what ultimately wins with the GMAT- not inherent intelligence. As you can see, the studying always pays off.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts