Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 10:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

660 (48 Q and 33 V)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 35

660 (48 Q and 33 V) [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 09:20
660 (48 Q and 33 V)

After years of contemplation, one cancellation and one re-schedule, I finally gave my GMAT on July 20. I was aiming for 700 + but received only 660. My biggest hurdle was not getting enough time to practice Verbal. I hardly practiced 30 verbal questions.

To give you a background, I am an Indian female with a Bachelors of Engineering degree and 8 years of IT experience . I am a proud mother of a 20 month old kid. I have excellent acads and always finished in the top 3 % of the class. Was recruited to my first company straight from campus.I have been living and working in the US for the past 6 years .

Giving GMAT after marriage and a kid is not simple.I had immense support from my loving hubby which helped a lot. So a piece of advise for any females out there thinking of giving GMAT or going to a b-school - get done with this before starting a family.

I have not been quite active in these forums. However, I liked reading all the debriefs which motivated me a lot. Also visited for few GMATPRep solutions. I think I owe this forum and need to give

back to this community by giving a gist of my study prep -

Sentence Correction - Manhattan SC, GMAT PREP Now free videos, e-gmat videos . I went over all the rules atleast twice.
Quant - Manhattan guides

I briefly followed the 60-day study plan from beatthegmat but due to limited time had to devise my own plan.

I didn't do much prep for CR and RC as I mentioned I had limited time. I watched all the free tutorials on GMATPrepNow and e-gmat.
Went through all the free 90 question set from the GMAT prep software. Took GMAT prep exams thrice but was never able to review them due to my tight schedule (another mistake)
For IR, I went through the solutions of all the GMAT Prep questions and videos from e-gmat and gmatprepnow.
Timing strategy - I followed gmatprepnow and I think it helped me a lot.
I studied for 2-2.5 hours daily and 5 hours weekends. Also took 1 day off from work on teh last day. I studied till last day (contrary to many advises I see here) and in the morning (after 8 hours of sound sleep) had a light breakfast, did few quant and verbal questions ( I read this in some debriefs that this helps, not sure how much though) and set off for the test center. My exam for scheduled for 12 PM.

Took both breaks. Started with a rough AWA section (gradings still pending), moderate IR and quant was good. Verbal was always a weak area for me.

I would suggest to practice, practice and practice. I didn't have much time for verbal practice which affected my score.

I have done some volunteering activities, participated in local dance, volunteered in cultural and tech fests in college, recipient of scholarships in my 2nd and 3rd year in college, received an award in 2012 from my previous company and received few appreciation certificates from clients. I am scheduled to run half marathon this fall (a long time dream)

I am planning to apply for part-time programs like Kelley, Fisher. What do you guys think about my prospects in getting into these programs ? Do I stand a chance in these programs or do you think I need to re-take GMAT ?

Currently preparing for TOEFL.

Thank you for help !
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 22

Re: 660 (48 Q and 33 V) [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 14:46
gmatgeek wrote:
660 (48 Q and 33 V)
(snip)
To give you a background, I am an Indian female with a Bachelors of Engineering degree and 8 years of IT experience . I am a proud mother of a 20 month old kid. I have excellent acads and always finished in the top 3 % of the class. Was recruited to my first company straight from campus.I have been living and working in the US for the past 6 years .

Giving GMAT after marriage and a kid is not simple.I had immense support from my loving hubby which helped a lot. So a piece of advise for any females out there thinking of giving GMAT or going to a b-school - get done with this before starting a family.
gmatgeek, congrats on getting the GMAT behind you! Your quant score is quite nice, bummer about the verbal - but your total score isn't that bad at all, in the grand scheme of things. This test is HARD and you are clearly juggling a lot! Your advice is spot-on; all of this bschool stuff becomes a lot more challenging once the responsibilities of an adult are factored in. It sounds like you have a great setup with a supportive husband so certainly that helps a lot - but we can appreciate how tough it is, too.

gmatgeek wrote:
I am planning to apply for part-time programs like Kelley, Fisher. What do you guys think about my prospects in getting into these programs ? Do I stand a chance in these programs or do you think I need to re-take GMAT ?
A higher score always helps, but we'd be willing to bet that your current 660 will be high enough for these part-time MBA programs. Since it's moving quickly towards deadline time you may want to start looking at the essays and getting the rest of your application in line. You could always go for another GMAT test in late October after your Round 1 applications are in - but we think you may be OK with your current score.

gmatgeek wrote:
Didn't hunt down the requirements on the school websites but we'd be surprised if you have to take the TOEFL for these schools. Wasn't your undergrad education conducted solely in English? If so, most schools will waive the English language test requirement. You should check their sites but we don't think you need to worry about it, at least not for Kelley and Fisher.

Good job on tackling all of this - the MBA can be a great opportunity and we hope it works out for you!!

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Current Student

Re: 660 (48 Q and 33 V) [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 19:09
essaysnark wrote:
gmatgeek wrote:
660 (48 Q and 33 V)
(snip)

gmatgeek, congrats on getting the GMAT behind you! Your quant score is quite nice, bummer about the verbal - but your total score isn't that bad at all, in the grand scheme of things. This test is HARD and you are clearly juggling a lot! Your advice is spot-on; all of this bschool stuff becomes a lot more challenging once the responsibilities of an adult are factored in. It sounds like you have a great setup with a supportive husband so certainly that helps a lot - but we can appreciate how tough it is, too.

gmatgeek wrote:
A higher score always helps, but we'd be willing to bet that your current 660 will be high enough for these part-time MBA programs. Since it's moving quickly towards deadline time you may want to start looking at the essays and getting the rest of your application in line. You could always go for another GMAT test in late October after your Round 1 applications are in - but we think you may be OK with your current score.

gmatgeek wrote:
Didn't hunt down the requirements on the school websites but we'd be surprised if you have to take the TOEFL for these schools. Wasn't your undergrad education conducted solely in English? If so, most schools will waive the English language test requirement. You should check their sites but we don't think you need to worry about it, at least not for Kelley and Fisher.

Good job on tackling all of this - the MBA can be a great opportunity and we hope it works out for you!!

EssaySnark

Thank you for your words of encouragement and response. I have 2 questions -

1. You mentioned I can re-take GMAT after R1. Do these colleges rounds of admissions even for part- time ? Sorry I am just starting to research on them and on their website I don't see any such information.

2. You also mentioned about TOEFL requirements. I have always attended English school and my course of study was always in English. I assumed since my native language is not English they assume I would be required to take TOEFL. I saw that in their website and I think 100 in TOEFL is a requirement. Do you know any cases where TOEFL is waived for Indian students ? if that is the case I would be relieved and would concentrate just on my application. Their deadline is October.

Thanks again for evaluating my profile.

Re: 660 (48 Q and 33 V) [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 07:48
Hey gmatgeek - we'll try to help but we're a little confused about your strategy so we have some questions back to you first: You named Kelley and Foster part-time. But those are in totally different parts of the country (Indiana and Washington State). The part-time programs are for people who will be working while pursuing the MBA. Not sure where you live now but this implies you'd either be transfering with your company to a new job that's local to the school, or doing a commute for classes. Or do you mean Kelley Direct online MBA? Can you please clarify your strategy on that first and then we'll be in a better position to help with some answers.

On the TOEFL, we're pretty sure that both Foster and Kelley will waive the TOEFL requirement if your undergrad degree was taught entirely in English.

EssaySnark

Current Student

Re: 660 (48 Q and 33 V) [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 08:00
essaysnark wrote:
Hey gmatgeek - we'll try to help but we're a little confused about your strategy so we have some questions back to you first: You named Kelley and Foster part-time. But those are in totally different parts of the country (Indiana and Washington State). The part-time programs are for people who will be working while pursuing the MBA. Not sure where you live now but this implies you'd either be transfering with your company to a new job that's local to the school, or doing a commute for classes. Or do you mean Kelley Direct online MBA? Can you please clarify your strategy on that first and then we'll be in a better position to help with some answers.

On the TOEFL, we're pretty sure that both Foster and Kelley will waive the TOEFL requirement if your undergrad degree was taught entirely in English.

EssaySnark

Apologize for not being clear. I plan to drive to Indiana and Fisher (it was Fisher and not Foster :) ) and I am planning to enroll for part-time programs while working full-time

Re: 660 (48 Q and 33 V) [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 08:59
gmatgeek wrote:
Apologize for not being clear. I plan to drive to Indiana and Fisher (it was Fisher and not Foster :) ) and I am planning to enroll for part-time programs while working full-time
Eek - this one is our mistake, you WERE clear re: Fisher. Sorry about that!

Makes a lot more sense too. :-) They're both in semi-proximity to each other, so now we get why these are you two choices.

Fisher is so flexible that they even will waive the GMAT requirement for their part-time program. You should still include the GMAT in your application since it helps them to evaluate your candidacy but it's a very good sign in terms of admissions chances that they're accommodating like this.

The part-time programs often have multiple intakes, meaning that you can start the program at different times through the year. In general you want to apply ahead of the deadline when possible since often that means you get a decision back more quickly, and because these programs get more applications than they have room, so you'll be at an advantage against the competition if you apply early. These two schools do not have application rounds like many other programs do; each has deadlines specific to the start term (spring or fall), with next dates coming up in October.

Hope this helps - sorry for our mix-up - let us know if you have other questions for us!
EssaySnark

Current Student

Re: 660 (48 Q and 33 V) [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 13:20
essaysnark wrote:
gmatgeek wrote:
Eek - this one is our mistake, you WERE clear re: Fisher. Sorry about that!

Makes a lot more sense too. :-) They're both in semi-proximity to each other, so now we get why these are you two choices.

Fisher is so flexible that they even will waive the GMAT requirement for their part-time program. You should still include the GMAT in your application since it helps them to evaluate your candidacy but it's a very good sign in terms of admissions chances that they're accommodating like this.

The part-time programs often have multiple intakes, meaning that you can start the program at different times through the year. In general you want to apply ahead of the deadline when possible since often that means you get a decision back more quickly, and because these programs get more applications than they have room, so you'll be at an advantage against the competition if you apply early. These two schools do not have application rounds like many other programs do; each has deadlines specific to the start term (spring or fall), with next dates coming up in October.

Hope this helps - sorry for our mix-up - let us know if you have other questions for us!
EssaySnark

Thank you EssaySnark for your suggestions
Re: 660 (48 Q and 33 V)   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2013, 13:20