Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 06:57

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

660-670 on gmat prep to 490 on the real test.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

660-670 on gmat prep to 490 on the real test. [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 21:56
Hi,
I have been working on the gmat for the last two months.I had even enrolled myself with a tutor just to take some pointers and strategies out for the GMAT.The diagnostic test i took in the first week of September, received a score of 450.I wasn't really disappointed but it was a shock as i had been preparing and reviewing concepts since July.I took another test 3 days later and received 500.So working like this my score on GMAT kept climbing.Before the last two weeks i received a score of 660-670(Both full length GMAT prep test).Three days prior to the real exam i received 740(Q50,V40).This was the first time my verbal touched a score of 40.My usual range was between 29-32.I was certainly confident that my real test would be somewhere between late 600's and early 700.

However,yesterday i wrote my Official Gmat paper i was shocked to see a score of 490(Q38,V20).This dip was greater than >100 points and i couldn't understand or correlate it to my previous prep scores.I really need to strategize for the next test which i will be taking in January.As I am a student in my final year of graduation I also have my semester exams starting in a couple of weeks and i will be free after 9th December onwards.What should be my basic approach for tackling the test for the second time? Should i focus more on tests and review my basics again etc.Also if anyone could throw light and help me explain better regarding my sudden/extreme dip it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
A disappointed GMAT-test taker.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 1

Re: 660-670 on gmat prep to 490 on the real test. [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2013, 10:12
Expert's post
Hi Abheek,

I think that it is tough to gauge what the drop was caused by without knowing a little more about your situation. Some common reasons people's scores will drop come test day include: fatigue (potentially caused by taking practice tests too close to the real exam), anxiety, and unfamiliarity with the format of the test.

Come round two, you will be familiar with all of the test procedures, which will also make you less nervous. Here is the approach that I recommend to my students in their preparation for the GMAT:

Focus on your shoring up your weaknesses (while still practicing your strengths, can't lose that) in the time leading up to the exam
In the last week or two, shift to focusing more on strengths and less on weaknesses (need to "secure your floor," as it is very important you capitalize on your strengths)
Do not take any practice tests in the 2 or 3 days prior to the exam. You may become fatigued if you do
The day before the exam study for 2 hours or so at most. Your work is done, so focus on relaxing and mentally preparing yourself
Test day do a couple of warmup problems, maybe 20 minutes worth. Then knock it out of the park!

I hope this helps!!!

Brandon
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

If you found this post helpful, please give me kudos!!! :)

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 660-670 on gmat prep to 490 on the real test. [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2013, 23:10
Hi Brandon,
The sad bit is that I was overly anxious with my preparation.I sortof thought this as my one and only gmat prep.I think what spiraled out of control was my grip on the situation during the actual exam.i rushed certain maths problems which led to my downfall.i remember clearly looking at the clock on the last 2 questions on verbal.
I will be starting my prep post 9th December,assuming that these concepts that I learnt over the few months would not be completely removed from memory.I think the analysis of my practice test wasn't clear enough,didn't maintain an error log/took the gmat prep multiple times possible leading to inflated scores.
How much could the difference be if I see repeats on my prep test.I never remembered the solutions to the repeats just did them again properly and treated them as new questions.
Also,do students see a drop of more than 100 points leading from external factors/anxiety.I am planning to take the gmat with a score of 720 in mind what should be my strategy for the month December?

Thanks & Regards
Abheek
Re: 660-670 on gmat prep to 490 on the real test.   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2013, 23:10