Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

660 and Help with Verbal :(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
660 and Help with Verbal :( [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 16:19
All,

I really need help now. I have scored 50 in quants and 28 in verbal.. totalling 660 :(. I think I managed to answer 9 SC questions wrong.. I have gone through manhattan SC guide and OG and Verbal Review. I have rescheduled my GMAT and have 2 more weeks.. what can I do to really push my score above 730 :-(.. Any help/suggestions on improving verbal skills ( I am banking on improvements in Sentence correction) would be highly appreciated.. Most of the SC questions I can eliminate all but 2 and defying all laws of probablity I manage to pick wrong ones always! :roll: .. (I know most of the people would suggest "Pick what you weren't going to pick").. :-).

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: RHCE , CCNA, MCSE and Now GMAT ;)
WE: Operations (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 660 and Help with Verbal :( [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 18:01
To Pump your Verbal ! Focus on all the three sections of Verbal with more attention on SC .

I Suggest a approach below that i recommend to many of my students who re-take Gmat !

1. Take a Free Manhattan Gmat or Knewton Gmat CAT online. Let us assess the verbal section thoroughly.Based on it we can further customize your preparation needs. Take the test under exact test like conditions along with AWA section. This is highly important as this will allow us to analyse what are your specific weak sections and sub topics in Verbal.

2. Pump your SC skills. How ? I have a strategic approach as portrayed below :
Read Gmat Club's Ultimate Grammar Book
My Notes / personal session with me for two hours on various SC Strategies
Read Manhattan Gmat SC guide , Reinforce your concepts with 12 SC videos ( each 20 - 40 min ) from revolution prep.
Read Aristotle SC Guide
Solve Aristotle SC question bank of 100 q's . Use Aristotle solutions guide to OG 12. learn another imp SC strategy from here.
Practice 140 SC problems from OG 12 with error log ? How - details in my personal session / Notes.
Practice 54 SC ( non repeated in OG 12 ) from OG 11
Solve 70 Brutal SC documents
Take timed practice of various Knewton and Kaplan SC question in your workbook on Gmat Club , if you have an account - more details in my notes / personal session

3. Build up your CR Skill set :
Read Power score CR Bible
Identify types of CR questions Frequently asked
Identify types of CR questions minimally asked from Manhattan CR Guide
More on Fill in Blank type CR questions
More on Bold Faced Cr questions
Practice 124 CR questions from OG 12 with Error log ( Imp you do them even if you completed them during your first test , Practice them using error logs ).
Practice 101 hard CR questions from Aristotle
Practice 106 CR questions from Gmat Prep Collection ( Imp - Test like collections and this reinforces your CR Skills )

4. Refine your RC Skill set :

Read RC pages from Kaplan premier or Kaplan verbal book to get an overview
Checkout Knewton Videos that tell you about types of questions in RC - rc-through-videos-99567.html
Practice OG 10 and OG 12 RC's and practice timing.

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 292

Kudos [?]: 672 [0], given: 6

Re: 660 and Help with Verbal :( [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 13:02
Expert's post
sidbond wrote:
All,

I really need help now. I have scored 50 in quants and 28 in verbal.. totalling 660 :(. I think I managed to answer 9 SC questions wrong.. I have gone through manhattan SC guide and OG and Verbal Review. I have rescheduled my GMAT and have 2 more weeks.. what can I do to really push my score above 730 :-(.. Any help/suggestions on improving verbal skills ( I am banking on improvements in Sentence correction) would be highly appreciated.. Most of the SC questions I can eliminate all but 2 and defying all laws of probablity I manage to pick wrong ones always! :roll: .. (I know most of the people would suggest "Pick what you weren't going to pick").. :-).

Thanks.

Good luck on your retake. With a limited amount of time, you'll need to study very efficiently. The verbal portion is very critical for someone like you especially because of the quant/verbal imbalance. Focus on trying to get SC questions down in as little time as possible. With extra time, you'll be able to better answer the CR and RC questions.

As far as picking the wrong one on SC--make a note of when those happen and ask yourself why it was the other one. Revisit the next day and see if you can answer that list of questions correctly this time.

Hope that helps.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: 660 and Help with Verbal :(   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2011, 13:02