Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

660 anyone?? Really confused-- Additionally what went wrong

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

660 anyone?? Really confused-- Additionally what went wrong [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 14:49
Well My first attempt at GMAT and I got lower than the last 5 practice tests I took. And I read somewhere that I could add a 20-40 to my score to the manhattan GMAT tests(which were the last 6 tests I took) . I am crushed. I couldnot believe the quanti score. Verbal was decent at 89%ile.
the breakup of my score is q40, v41
What went wrong:---
I think the thing that affected my score the most was time management .....
I wanted to get the first 10 right and felt that the sums were getting harder .....
By the time I had 27 left I was down to 47 minutes..... And I got a little nervous
and started to speed up a little bit. Somewhere down the line I must have really majorly made a lot of mistakes. I finished in time but teh result is here for everyone to see.

But the funny thing is the majority of the quanti part felt pretty tough. I mean if i was getting questions wrong, i should have seen pretty easy sums. But I didnt see a really easy sum (By easy i mean whatever the standard is for the practice section in OG 11).
I was under the impression that the maths section didnt go too bad coz I felt that the sums were hard. Infact i remember a couple of them which for the first few seconds i didnt recognise a pattern for( i wish i could ask someone on the forum but i guess reproducing the sum is illegal). One was a DS question from Probability and another one from series.

Verbal section was a good wholesome experience( I like verbal) ....
I was paying real close attention to each cr question, coz u can feel them becoming a little tougher at the end of the test. One RC passage was exceptionally bad (bad boring long read) and it was towards the end ..... So my concentration was faultering a little bit ..... But i tried all i could to stop myself.
another thing, though its not common ..... but it was a weird situation i faced in the test center.
the testing room was so quuiet, and then this lady started clearing her voice and coughing evry few minutes. I know this is a situation I couldnt help and niether could she but since there was no other noise, that noise was getting so magnified i found myself getting very disturbed. these testing centers do give you earplugs but i am not used to wearing them so i was not comfortable. So u may wear earplugs sometimes while taking a test for practice (i know maybe its just me, but a plug in my ear is not a everyday experience), or be prepared for some kind of unexpected factor.

Now I dont know what to do .... Some people are telling me I can still apply to some of the schools I aimed(i am in California, so my choices are pretty much in California ....UCLA, USC ). But a few are telling me to retake the test , that too in a couple of months. Coz things are still fresh in my mind.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Also if you suggest I retake the test , please , please give me some clear idea as to how I can attack the quanti sections.
I have done OG twice over, I have done Kaplan, I have done the GMATClub test(12 of them to be exact) , and I have done Manhattan GMAt Tests. (Ya I know what you are thinking .I must be STUPID!!! Thats what I thought too ) :roll: .

Last edited by Rupa04 on 09 Apr 2008, 13:09, edited 3 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: 660 anyone???? Really confused [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 16:00
You may want to share some more details about the test and about what went wrong. For instance what was your QV split ? What do you find the toughest in quant ? What was the test experience like ?
Intern
Intern

updated the experience bit... [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 09:08
sorry i didnt the first time.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 12

Re: 660 anyone?? Really confused-- Additionally what went wrong [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 10:09
you talking about a weird RC problem?
Intern
Intern

Re: 660 anyone?? Really confused-- Additionally what went wrong [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 12:25
The RC passage I was talking about was areally long one and about relationships . So it was not specific, and it was also really long. But the questions were very specific, very detail oriented.
The weird problem I was talking about was DS problem based on probability .
CEO
CEO

Re: 660 anyone?? Really confused-- Additionally what went wrong [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 15:04
Rupa -sounds like the major problems were in the quant. Those gmatclub challenges are no silver bullet - they are meant for people trying to get their Q scores up from 45-46 level to 50+. What was you general Q score in gmat prep tests ?
Intern
Intern

Re: 660 anyone?? Really confused-- Additionally what went wrong [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 16:25
My last few ManhattanGMAT scores in quanti were
4th Q47 V34 670
3rd Q44 V41 700
2nd Q44 V34 640
1st Q43 V36 650
however I must admit the gmatclub tests never really went very well ......
Anyways, what past, I can hardly do anything . I need some advise as to what should be my next course of action. I have had a couple of days to think and I am kindof making up my mind to get back to quanti and retaking the test.
I dont know how schools look at applicants with multiple attempts at GMAT. Also does the past scores stay valid?
CEO
CEO

Re: 660 anyone?? Really confused-- Additionally what went wrong [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 19:02
The main problem seems to be Q - I feel that doing so many gmatclub challanges them may have actually hurt your confidence when you took the final test. To get 48/49 in gmat Q - you should be able to to do a lot of medium difficulty questions accurately and quickly. However, the gmatclub challenges range from hard medium to hard to very hard. If you can master them then you are a shoe in for 50+. But if you're not learning much from them, doing poorly and losing confidence, its time to take a step back.

I'd highly recommend focusing practice on basics, slightly easier questions (like from the OG) and get 48 / 49 consistently in gmatprep tests before attempting any more gmat takes (and any gmatclub challenges).

b-schools do not view multiple takes negatively. Most schools only look at highest score.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

Re: 660 anyone?? Really confused-- Additionally what went wrong [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 05:32
Rupa04 wrote:
What went wrong:---
I think the thing that affected my score the most was time management .....
I wanted to get the first 10 right and felt that the sums were getting harder .....
By the time I reached queation 27 I was down to 47 minutes..... And I got a little nervous
and started to speed up a little bit. Somewhere down the line I must have really majorly made a lot of mistakes. I finished in time but teh result is here for everyone to see.

Did I miss something?
47 minutes with 11 questions left is more than enough time.

Your only barometer should be GMATPrep.
Intern
Intern

Re: 660 anyone?? Really confused-- Additionally what went wrong [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2008, 13:09
:) I meant when I was done 10 and 27 questions were left . I am sorry that does sound the other way round. Just came out wrong ....
Re: 660 anyone?? Really confused-- Additionally what went wrong   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2008, 13:09