Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

660 first try - retake strategy before June 5. Please help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

660 first try - retake strategy before June 5. Please help! [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 14:08
All,

I had my first try in Oct 11 and scored a 660 - largely unsatisfied. I am now picking up the study again and aiming to retake before the new GMAT is introduced on June 5th.

The dilemma is whether to schedule before May 5, so if things don't go well i still have one more shot at scheduling before the new test, or allow for more time to study and take it close to the June 5.

During my class preparation round (2 months) - i never really consistently scored 700 in my practice exams (mostly mid 600's), this makes me wonder if i should take a courses as i doubt there might be something wrong with the studying method, etc (i never really had trouble with standardized test before)

Any thought is highly appreciated. THanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 607 [1] , given: 114

Re: 660 first try - retake strategy before June 5. Please help! [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 16:07
This post received
KUDOS
It would really help to know your score breakdown and ultimate goal to help with where to study. If you are willing to take the test more than once, I would recommend booking a test date for both early may/late april and one more shot before the last old GMAT is given. I believe the last GMAT is given on June 2nd, and you need 30 days between tests so you will have to do the math.

I would then cancel my 2nd reservation and recoup the 80 bucks if I do well the first time. I would rather give up the 170 and know I had a test date, then get stuck in the position of having to learn the IR section. Those last test dates will fill fast most likely. Especially good test times.

For your studies, I would recommend that you dive back in head first. Start going back through your studies and going over topics you believe you could have known better. Memorize these, and keep practicing. If you had trouble with timing, work on timed questions and CAT tests. You know where you were lacking, so you have to improve in those areas. You have enough time, but it is up to you to put in the hard work and dedication it will take to improve your score.

I would also recommend that you read my article here: 10-tips-to-improve-your-score-app-with-no-extra-studying-124393-20.html This will help you improve your score with the intangibles.

Good luck to you! Let us know how it goes

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 660 first try - retake strategy before June 5. Please help! [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 22:02
thanks a lot for the reply. My score was M: 49 V: 33, so Verbal is the clear weakness. Within the section, I think I'm relatively better at SC while sometimes struggling with RC and CR.

The goal is to reach 710 or above. Would love to hear others' thoughts on scheduling. Actually can one make two simultaneous reservations?

Thanks!
Re: 660 first try - retake strategy before June 5. Please help!   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2012, 22:02