Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 11:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

660 GMATPrep Test#1 - Taken before prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V39
GPA: 4
WE: Business Development (Retail)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

660 GMATPrep Test#1 - Taken before prep [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 04:20
Hi,
I started my GMAT preparations by taking one of the two free GMATPrep tests.
I scored 660 (Q46, V35).
Quant : 13 wrong | Verbal : 14 wrong.
To be honest, I am disappointed as I expected more from both the sections.
Upon review I realised that all my quant mistakes were careless errors as I was able to solve them comfortably outside the test environment :P (I also found myself short on time in this section)
By the time I reached verbal I was a little exhausted and noticed that I wasn't spending much time on each question (I finished this section with 15 mins left on the clock)
I don't have any deadlines and can give 3+ months to my GMAT prep easily.
I have bought the MGMAT guides (5th edition), OG 12, OG 13 and Kaplan 800 for my preparation.
My target score is a 740-760. Any sort of pointers based on my first test would be really helpful.
Thank you
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: 660 GMATPrep Test#1 - Taken before prep [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 06:33
Expert's post
First off -- don't sell youself short. A 660 on a first practice exam is a really good foundation to build from. The GMAT is a bit of a funky/unique test, and it takes a little time to get used to. Plus, the timing/adaptive elements definitely require practice/strategy and very few people "nail" it the first time out.

The typical student (esp. early on) is likely to struggle w/ timing on quant and feel like they will 'rush through' on verbal. The best thing to think about is to aim for a simple target of 2 mins/question. Start tracking your time when you work on practice problems. Don't start throwing out random answers at the 2 minute mark -- but at least track the time it is taking to to complete the problems you are working on. For verbal, give yourself permission to 'slow down' a bit...

Let me know if this is helpful.

-Brian

Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: 660 GMATPrep Test#1 - Taken before prep   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2013, 06:33