Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 08:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

660 - horrible Pearson VUE experience!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

660 - horrible Pearson VUE experience!! [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2006, 02:08
Hi guys

I'd like to share my horrendous gmat experience with you all!!

I was scheduled to give my test thursday last week. I received my test confirmation letter from pearson vue sometime in Nov 2005. It had the contact details for the test center. So a week before my test day, I called up and spoke to a staff member there. She confirmed the date, time etc etc and told me about the famous "erasable noteboard" business. So I thought .. ok .. its all good .. all sorted. I was glad to get that worry off my shoulders. I focused on some last week study and was all set to attack on G-day!

I reach the test center an hour before my scheduled time and find that all doors are locked and there's no one around. I was a little worried but thought perhaps I was too early (it was 8.15am or and my test was at 9.15am). So I waited for about half an hour and in the meantime tried to call them up. Surprise surprise .. there was no answer! I was getting frantic because my test was supposed to start in 15 mins! Finally I managed to get someone on the line and she tells me ... "those guys have moved out of there 2 months ago!!! You're at the wrong place!" ! I just didn't know what to say .. I was almost in tears!! But luckily she said .. you're not too far from the new test center location .. she gave me directions with about 20 different roads and by the time she finished saying all that .. my very dearest cellphone decided to die on me! Perfect timing I'd say!!

Anyways, speeding like mad I finally reached the address she gave me only to find that the actual building where I was supposed to sit the test was across the road .. so we walked down to the "final destination" and I was almost 45 mins late for my test. I decided .. NO WAY am I sitting the test in this condition. I showed them the confirmation letter and said "do what you like but I am not sitting the test today. I want you to reschedule it"! The people at the test center were quite considerate though and agreed to reschedule the test. Next mission was to get hold of VUE (US)! After half a day of getting put on hold and getting transferred from one service to another .. the task was finally accomplished! Got the test rescheduled for the next day! Phew!

And as if all this wasn't enough .. finally I ended up with a crap score too! I was pretty confident to score atleast 700! But no! gmat had something else in store for me ...

First attempt - (Nov 2005) - 640 [Q=47, V=32]
Second attempt - (Jan 2006) - 660 [Q=49, V=32]

I can't believe it .. after all the analysing/reviewing/studying and hardwork for two months including the christmas/new year break, I end up with a mere 20 points improvement!! This can't be it!

As for the test:
I found the quantitative section pretty similar to GMATPrep. Got plenty of DS questions throughout - prime numbers, even/odd numbers, integer properties, geometry. The PS questions were fairly straightforward - rate, mixture, probability, perms/combs, interest. All in all I think GMATPrep is very close to the real test!

Verbal - well ... it started with some nasty long twisted SC's. And after about 5 ques, I got two RC's one after another - one was about 70 lines and the other about 40 lines. They were not too bad! Hence I'm guessing I screwed the first few SC's and so got easy RC's resulting in a low overall score :cry: Or could there be a different explanation for the low score?? Apart from that the rest of the verbal was pretty similar to OG/GMATPrep .. got a couple of BF CR's ..mannn I really struggled on those ones .. had no idea what the BF parts were doing!

I am really disappointed with my verbal score and want to give it another shot! But I don't see much point in resitting the test if I don't know how to improve!

Can someone pls suggest good practice material/strategies for verbal. I have exhausted kaplan800, kaplan 04/05, OG 10 and don't want to go over familiar questions. A lot of ppl on this forum mention the 1000 SC, 1000 RC, 1000 CR documents. Where can I find these? What other resources could i use? I have just ordered the PR 'cracking the GMAT' book with CD. I havent done any PR material .. so hopefully those questions will all be new to me. Any other suggestions guys ... all those experts out there .. pls help! :) I desperately need practice material!

I'm thinking of re-sitting the test by feb 15! So I really need some advice to help me achieve my goal of 700+ asap!

I dont want to give up but I'm very close to doing so!! Stop me!!

Thanks
eskay :)

Help me crack the GMAT .. !!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2006, 06:58
listen i belive your score has been greatly affected by the traumatic experience you had the day before. So you should definitely take it again.

Its good that you have ordered PR. I find that very useful in reducing time. they have very good strategies. I would also suggest that
for SC you work with Manhattan GMATs Sentence correction Book.

here is where you can find 1000 rc,sc,cr questions.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=20341
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2006, 07:25
hey, i feel for you. Thanx for the tip on calling the center before head, never thought about that.

Good luck on your next try.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2006, 07:46
You can't give up.. specially not now.. after working so hard for it.. I would like to see you conquer the beast and until then no GIVING UP!!!!...

OG 11th ed. would be a good resource to have too with Manhattan SC guide. I think it is a fabulous book and has helped me a lot with my SC..

Success is my only option, failure is not -- Eminem

SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2006, 08:00
Hang around here and compare your performance with others and see how others tackle verbal.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

[#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2006, 08:03
I agree with the others, the unwanted prelude probably had the most to do with your results.

One thing I would strongly recommend is a couple "dress rehearsal"s. Run through a full-length test at least twice during the week before the real thing, and try to sit at the same time as the real test will be. This is to make the actual event more familiar. Since you've already had the CAT experience, that won't be new.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2006, 14:15
eskay05, a side note - are you sure about your score?

I got 680 with same breakup (Q49, V32). I know percentiles may change over time but how come your cumulative score is 660?

duttsit

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

Intern
Intern

Which center was yours? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2006, 17:59
Now I am really worried. I am planning to take it tomorrow at San Jose and yesterday when I visited the center, it was locked and I saw a hanging there with a note asking not to open and "alarm will sound and police will come if opened" or something like that. Crap, I think my good luck has already started....NOT!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2006, 18:17
don't worry old user you will be alright..

i think it is just extra security that GMAC has been wanting for a long time that ETS didinot giving and now pearson is trying every thing to keep GMAC happy.

A 7 years few million dollars deal is too sweet to pass...

Good luck with your test .
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 00:51
Thanks everyone for the encouraging and helpful comments!

old-user - good luck for your test. I'm sure you'll be alright .. your test center is active because it had that note on it. Mine had no sign of activity. And it had black tinted doors and windows .. so I had no clue as to whether the place was in use or not! You'll be fine don't panic!

Have a few questions guys ...

About error log:
I've been using a very simple one so far. Just noted the questions I got wrong and tried to write a comment suggesting why I got it wrong. Is there a better way of doing this? .. because I found it quite hard to find a trend in my mistakes .. everytime I got something wrong .. it seemed like a new mistake!

Does anyone know of study material which provides questions grouped by type i.e a set of strengthen/weaken questions for CR or a set of assumptions questions etc.? I really need to identify which question type I'm struggling with .. all the material I've looked at so far gives a set of questions with everything mixed up and so its quite hard to analyse my mistakes.

Are questions in OG11 different from OG10 because I have looked at OG10 in detail and have also attempted GMATPrep. So doing the same questions wont really help as I know the answers now!

Duttsit, I did read your post about your gmat experience. I was quite surprised to see that your cumulative score was 680 although you had the same Quant/Verbal breakup as me! I am sure my score is 660. I got a print out at the end of my test and the piece of paper sure says 660!! I soooo wish the score is wrong!!

Can someone pls explain this difference in scores? I thought I understood the gmat scoring mechanism. Looks like I've understood NOTHING about gmat so far!

Forgot to mention this earlier, my practice test scores were as follows:

Before any preparation:
Kaplan diagnostic - 630
Kaplan CAT 1 - 550
Kaplan CAT 2 - 570

After going through OG, Kaplan and some miscallaneous books:
Kaplan diagnostic - 710
Kaplan CAT 1 - 630
Kaplan CAT 2 - 650
Kaplan CAT 3 - 700
Kaplan CAT 4 - 640

GMATPrep 1 - 720
GMATPrep 2 - 700

Peterson CAT 1 - 640
Peterson CAT 2 - 680
Peterson CAT 3 - 670

But honestly, these scores dont mean anything to me anymore
:cry:

Thanks again for all your input guys!

Cheers

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 10:57
eskay05 wrote:

old-user - good luck for your test. I'm sure you'll be alright .. your test center is active because it had that note on it. Mine had no sign of activity. And it had black tinted doors and windows .. so I had no clue as to whether the place was in use or not! You'll be fine don't panic!

About error log:
I've been using a very simple one so far. Just noted the questions I got wrong and tried to write a comment suggesting why I got it wrong. Is there a better way of doing this? .. because I found it quite hard to find a trend in my mistakes .. everytime I got something wrong .. it seemed like a new mistake!

Does anyone know of study material which provides questions grouped by type i.e a set of strengthen/weaken questions for CR or a set of assumptions questions etc.? I really need to identify which question type I'm struggling with .. all the material I've looked at so far gives a set of questions with everything mixed up and so its quite hard to analyse my mistakes.

Are questions in OG11 different from OG10 because I have looked at OG10 in detail and have also attempted GMATPrep. So doing the same questions wont really help as I know the answers now!

Duttsit, I did read your post about your gmat experience. I was quite surprised to see that your cumulative score was 680 although you had the same Quant/Verbal breakup as me! I am sure my score is 660. I got a print out at the end of my test and the piece of paper sure says 660!! I soooo wish the score is wrong!!

Can someone pls explain this difference in scores? I thought I understood the gmat scoring mechanism. Looks like I've understood NOTHING about gmat so far!

Before any preparation:
Kaplan diagnostic - 630
Kaplan CAT 1 - 550
Kaplan CAT 2 - 570

Kaplan diagnostic - 710
Kaplan CAT 1 - 630
Kaplan CAT 2 - 650
Kaplan CAT 3 - 700
Kaplan CAT 4 - 640

GMATPrep 1 - 720
GMATPrep 2 - 700

Peterson CAT 1 - 640
Peterson CAT 2 - 680
Peterson CAT 3 - 670

Cheers

Interesting !! If they keep on devaluing "total" score by 20 pts every other months, whats point of "standardized" test... Also schools should then look at for raw indivisual scores only. By the way, what was your percentiles?

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 12:07
eskay05 wrote:

About error log:

Before any preparation:
Kaplan diagnostic - 630
Kaplan CAT 1 - 550
Kaplan CAT 2 - 570

Kaplan diagnostic - 710
Kaplan CAT 1 - 630
Kaplan CAT 2 - 650
Kaplan CAT 3 - 700
Kaplan CAT 4 - 640

GMATPrep 1 - 720
GMATPrep 2 - 700

Peterson CAT 1 - 640
Peterson CAT 2 - 680
Peterson CAT 3 - 670

Cheers

I am just surprise that your Kaplan score is somewhat better than your real GMAT score. Since most people find the Kaplan question harder than the real GMAT. Can you elaborate on how you find the Kaplan question VS the real GMAT question?

Thnx
Intern
Intern

Thanks [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 13:38
Thanks SK (I mean eskay) and sperumba

The test center was indeed there!. Got a poor score of 650, worst thing was my quant was 43 (never scored that low in any of the practice tests) and my verbal was 36 (never scored that high in the practice tests either). What the heck I aint going to give it again.... I think. So If I get admission its ok if not I am just going to forget the whole thing, I hope I get admission as I am only looking for the part time program.

Good luck all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 17:58
old user just heard from a friend who scored 660 that she got int the wharton.

so taht is good news i guess .. it not only all GMAT but there is a lot more after your GMA like essays and stuff.. good luck with your apps..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 18:09
eskay05 answers to your questions :

1. Error log tool:
yes there is a more comprehensive error tool.. the keeps log of how many errors you are comittiing and in what section you are comitting those error this is a python script and you need to run python on ur PC.

here is the link to that .

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8717

Thans to Praetorian and pbajaria..

follow the instructions to download and install .. it is a little intimidating to use at first.

2.study material which provides questions grouped by type

Yes there is a suplement to the OG which works with the OG and has wuestiosn listed by types.

Also the Mgmat SC and RC books do work with OG according to wuestion types.

Give me some time and i can find you the suplement to the OG.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 18:13
here is the suplement for working with OG that categorizes problems according to difficulty level and type.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 23:16
duttsit wrote:
eskay05 wrote:

About error log:

Before any preparation:
Kaplan diagnostic - 630
Kaplan CAT 1 - 550
Kaplan CAT 2 - 570

Kaplan diagnostic - 710
Kaplan CAT 1 - 630
Kaplan CAT 2 - 650
Kaplan CAT 3 - 700
Kaplan CAT 4 - 640

GMATPrep 1 - 720
GMATPrep 2 - 700

Peterson CAT 1 - 640
Peterson CAT 2 - 680
Peterson CAT 3 - 670

Cheers

Interesting !! If they keep on devaluing "total" score by 20 pts every other months, whats point of "standardized" test... Also schools should then look at for raw indivisual scores only. By the way, what was your percentiles?

Duttsit,

My percentiles:
Quantitative - 90th percentile
Verbal - 67th percentile
Total - 86th percentile

Btw .. how are your apps coming along?

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 23:19
sperumba wrote:
eskay05 answers to your questions :

1. Error log tool:
yes there is a more comprehensive error tool.. the keeps log of how many errors you are comittiing and in what section you are comitting those error this is a python script and you need to run python on ur PC.

here is the link to that .

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8717

Thans to Praetorian and pbajaria..

follow the instructions to download and install .. it is a little intimidating to use at first.

2.study material which provides questions grouped by type

Yes there is a suplement to the OG which works with the OG and has wuestiosn listed by types.

Also the Mgmat SC and RC books do work with OG according to wuestion types.

Give me some time and i can find you the suplement to the OG.

Thanks a million Sperumba! :thanks

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2006, 01:56
kcng8 wrote:
eskay05 wrote:

About error log:

Before any preparation:
Kaplan diagnostic - 630
Kaplan CAT 1 - 550
Kaplan CAT 2 - 570

Kaplan diagnostic - 710
Kaplan CAT 1 - 630
Kaplan CAT 2 - 650
Kaplan CAT 3 - 700
Kaplan CAT 4 - 640

GMATPrep 1 - 720
GMATPrep 2 - 700

Peterson CAT 1 - 640
Peterson CAT 2 - 680
Peterson CAT 3 - 670

Cheers

I am just surprise that your Kaplan score is somewhat better than your real GMAT score. Since most people find the Kaplan question harder than the real GMAT. Can you elaborate on how you find the Kaplan question VS the real GMAT question?

Thnx

Hi kcng8,

Yeah I guess I am an odd one out here. Inititally I found kaplan tests to be very hard and a lot different to the OG. But after doing a couple of tests, it got better. For the quantitative part - I found the 100 math review points in the Kaplan 04/05 book very useful. If you 'understand' these, you can get through the quantitative part of kaplan tests just fine.

Comparing kaplan quantitative to the real GMAT test - I think kaplan questions are harder and take longer to solve. The questions on the real test had a lot more variety than the kaplan tests. I think GMATPrep is a lot closer to the real test than kaplan.

For verbal - kaplan CR's were quite similar to the ones on the real test. For SC's though, I thought kaplan was a lot easier and straightforward. And RC's in kaplan - definitely way too hard!

Hope that helps ..
I don't think I should comment on this too much. I was doing ok on kaplan tests but still screwed up the one that counts ...

Good luck with your prep!

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2006, 03:38
duttsit wrote:
eskay05, a side note - are you sure about your score?

I got 680 with same breakup (Q49, V32). I know percentiles may change over time but how come your cumulative score is 660?

duttsit

What the #$%&* :shock: , how can it be? eskay, I think you should ask VUE!
  [#permalink] 19 Jan 2006, 03:38