Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
guys, i am depressed, going out to eat taco bell, will come back and think more logically than emotionally.....................

aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

v 2999999999999999999999999 lowest i have scored..
i had a 80% hit ratio in OG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just ran out of time for the last few questions on Verbal... but still.. 29.. does not explain it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good score!!! Quantitative astonishing score!!!!!

All i know that people usually get admitted to London Business School Msc in Finance with the range of scores of 650-690.... You are really a competitive candidate....

Congrats once more!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats for your score :king
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I was waiting for your post.
Feel sorry for you. You definitely deserve a better Verbal score. But dont lose heart. You should be really proud of your quant. I think 660 is a competitive score. Good luck with your apps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1579 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats will, dont frown, 660 is a good score. Excellent math score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
As I said in my earlier post, your score is competetive for UChicago PT. Take a shot. I would also retake the test in 30 days. It will get you to 700 atleast.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
You have a very good score, especialy your math score is just amazing. As you have said, this is your lowest verbal score, I am sure you were just having a bad verbal day. Somedays my hit ratio in verbal is 90%, and some days it drops to 60-70%, not sure why.

Again, great job and goodluck with your apps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well, looking at your caliber your score is unjust to you, and I am sure you can do better! And you know that very well …

Why I am being so blunt because I am exactly in same boat as you--I am confident about scoring 50 in quant but very suspicious about my verbal performance—I have also scored 720(Q50, V37) in GMATPrep Test 2 like you, So I know what you are going through. Off course my verbal caliber does not permit me to advice you, but I can share what I am thinking and doing at present, it may help you and you can also share your strategy with me and collectively we can improve.

I have basically two problems in verbal from scoring point of view

A) Big variation in test score. I have scored 35+ in some cases and have struggled to cross 30 in other! (you seemed better than me!)

B) My absolute caliber, that means my command on Grammar, Vocab/idiom and reading, and what I can reach in un-timed condition.

So I am trying to attack both problems separately.

Now, to solve problem of fluctuation in score, I have identify two specific reason for fluctuation
(A) Time pressure and
(B) Some time I get lucky or vice versa

Time Pressure
-----------------
1) I take lot of time in reading comprehension, this causes time pressure, which in turn reduces my comprehension and hit rate in CR and SC
2) More over some time I don’t understand some SC or CR questions, and I end up spending big amount of time over here causing same time pressure

So actually if I don’t have time pressure (un-timed tests) I relatively score in same range, but now question is how to solve this time pressure issue?

My goal is to accept that I can not finish all questions. Specifically I am banking on skipping one whole RC, which will free up enough time to finish RC,SC and other RC properly. But which RC to skip that’s a tough question and tougher one is to have courage to give up that three to four question!

But to find out this and try to optimize my score by understanding how algorithm works! If I have better idea about algorithm I could really skip some questions and improve hit rate in other! To understand algorithm better I have initiated, seemingly unsuccessful, thread.

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=29068

Getting Lucky:
------------------
That happens for various reasons such as sometime question are within my vocabulary range, I already know idiom, RC are familiar subject or for various other reasons. So in short it directly relate to my absolute caliber.

To resolve this I really have to improve a lot which is not really feasible in test prep manner still I have divided this in three separate parts.

1) Trying to improve Grammar,
For this, I started reading some grammar sources on web started understanding what is noun, verb, adjective, modifier etc. Manhattan GMAT Book is extremely helpful in improving grammar.

2) Vocab : I gave up on vocab as I don’t think I can really improve much in next few weeks, though if I have to do it next time I will surely attack this field. But at present I am planning to concentrate on idiom list and usages because they looks like sure shot, particularly people like us who are good at logic if our pattern recognization works it we can easily finish SC with idiom in couple of min.

3) Reading: From last week I am concentrating on reading, I figure I don’t know how to read… wearied haaa…. But lot of time I have to read complex sentence twice just to understand what is written, this takes time and ultimately time is the one which kills us in exam, to improve this I read a book “The Elements of Styleâ€
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think you can take it again and get a 700. Verbal is a funny thing, to me it sounds like you did not have the stamina for the verbal section after killing the math.

Maybe sit down and do a couple more full length tests - do the essays and the math + verbal. Were you tired during the section? Could you focus?

I def think you are right there.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Chirag,

Thanks a lot for your advice.. I definitely feel the same. I think lot of time, the grammar that I got right, was because it fell in my range of verbal knowledge. Overall I think there was definite improvement since I began my Verbal quest.... But I think the main issue was in my practice tests, I was always down to 2 options. Maybe the time I got a good score, it was because I picked the right option, and the other times I did not pick the right option. In the final test, i just kept picking the wrong option.

I agree with you, we need to start some verbal warrior topic to strategize better.

Oasis,

I don't think stamina was an issue. I had done like 5-6 full tests..

I have decided to take a break for a week now on gmat. Lets see how it goes from here. I am currently out of town on vacation. Will take one more day off, get back to work.. and then reengergize myself.

Thanks everyone!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
WillGet -

The week off will help you a lot - I did the same thing and I am back at work studying again.

So it if wasnt stamina it was just an off day - I still think you have every reason to be confident you can hit that 700 mark.

Best of luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
[#permalink]
Hi willget800,

You are lucky: I also scored 660, although the breakdown was Q50, V31.
So, you received the same score, though your verbal score is a little bit lower.

does anybody know, why is it possible to receive the same overall score, with different breakdowns?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Doesnt the score depend on the percentile though? I had 56% percentile in verbal... did you have a higher percentile in verbal? i had 95% in math..

this scares me more now.. i thought initially going from 29 to 35 uin verbal might get me in 700.. but that does not seem to be the case seeing from your score..

anyone any idea?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
[#permalink]
willget800 wrote:
Doesnt the score depend on the percentile though? I had 56% percentile in verbal... did you have a higher percentile in verbal? i had 95% in math..

this scares me more now.. i thought initially going from 29 to 35 uin verbal might get me in 700.. but that does not seem to be the case seeing from your score..

anyone any idea?

Hi,
sorry, I don't remember the percentile, however I do remember that verbal percentile was somewhere between 61-65. But I'm almost sure that it doesn't affect the score. It is just merely for statistics.

by the way, I know someone who scored 680 with Q50 and V31.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
i just got my awa.. got a 5.5... i am suprised..

was wondering if that has any value? can i atleast claim that look verbal is not really an issue.. i just had an off day?

or the awa does not really offset the let down in verbal?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Here is some while if you guys find it helpful that I maintained..
Attachments

willget800_worksheet.xls [106 KiB]
Downloaded 87 times

GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts