Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well I have it scheduled for pretty soon, but my instincts tell me to reschedule it. I have been practicing with GMATPrep and had scores jump from 640 to 700s, but had a lot of repeats, so its really killing me because my performance is skewed.

Though it does make me very comfortable from the last time. It feels different when I look back the first two times I took the exam, and I was in the miserable 500s, but everytime I come and read posts on this forum, I tighten up my fist and go like WHAT THE %%%% I can do it, haha! so it serves as an inspiration for me :-D

I'll keep everyone informed, trust me the day I get my 700, first ones to find out are gonna be fellow gmatclub members :-D, as I spend more time here than with my friends, which is kinda sad but oh well I have to work on pursuing my dreams.....

All the best, cya on the forums :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations - 660 is a great score (I would be so happy with that myself - but that is just me). It is a great first time score and if you feel you can do better then you should retake.

If the rest of the you application is very strong I think you should have a fair shot at the schools you mentioned (your score is within the middle 80%).
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I believe that Yale's average GMAT jumped from 683 to 701 this year. This corroborates the (I think pretty widely held) belief that Yale is attempting to move up in the rankings by boosting its raw numbers - the most important of which is the GMAT of course.

What that means is that it's probably more difficult than ever to slide in with a lower than average GMAT score. As uvs_mba said, if other parts of your application are spectacular then you may have a chance. Otherwise, it's probably a bit of a stretch. You indicate that you are 26 and a male not originally from the US. How's your work experience? Are you an under-represented (or over-represented) minority? These factors make a huge difference in whether 660 gives you a chance or not.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Schools:Olin Business School - Washington University
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dude - 660 is good and may be good enough to get into Yale SOM depending on other areas of your app.

It sounds like you just need to boost that Verbal a little more. How much practice did you devote to V?

In my experience w/ practice exams so far is that when I get really rattled by the math (which you clearly did!) I tend to completely blow the verbal...just something to think about.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
I believe that Yale's average GMAT jumped from 683 to 701 this year. This corroborates the (I think pretty widely held) belief that Yale is attempting to move up in the rankings by boosting its raw numbers - the most important of which is the GMAT of course.

What that means is that it's probably more difficult than ever to slide in with a lower than average GMAT score. As uvs_mba said, if other parts of your application are spectacular then you may have a chance. Otherwise, it's probably a bit of a stretch. You indicate that you are 26 and a male not originally from the US. How's your work experience? Are you an under-represented (or over-represented) minority? These factors make a huge difference in whether 660 gives you a chance or not.

Hi pelihu, you bring up many good reasons, that's why I have already signed up to take another one 31 days from now. I will work harder on my verbal but won't forget the math.
I believe my working background and recommendations will stand out, however my personals are nothing to write home. I really haven't discovered myself and what I'd like to do in life until recently, so I haven't built up much of shining personal story. My communications skills are also on the weakside and that is why I know that I must do better on GMAT. However I will start my application process and update Yale on my future exam results.

I don't believe I'm under-represented, is that some set category for all schools?. I am from Moscow Russia, came shortly after Soviet Union collapse. I got some good education fundamentals in my school while in Russia, however I have never strived for better then B. After finishing engineering degree at Uconn I was hired by start-up hedge fund and grew with it over the past few years. Learning investment process, finance theory and technology behind it is something I am really focused on doing and thus have decided to give Yale a try.

I really appreciate feedback from you and others. Like everyone says this community is so much more valuable then $1,400 I spent on Kaplan.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
diegmat wrote:
Dude - 660 is good and may be good enough to get into Yale SOM depending on other areas of your app.

It sounds like you just need to boost that Verbal a little more. How much practice did you devote to V?

In my experience w/ practice exams so far is that when I get really rattled by the math (which you clearly did!) I tend to completely blow the verbal...just something to think about.

Thx, that's a great point. I will take an optional break next time no matter how I felt quant went and try to refocus before verbal.

I have spent some time on verbal. I've used manhattan for SC, CR and RC. I felt like I started to understand what GMAT was asking for test takers. It is possible i have underestimated it.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37306 posts