Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

660 Q49 and V31

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

660 Q49 and V31 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 05:29
Hey guys,

I am a silent member of this forum. I took GMAT today and score 660(Q49 and V31). This forum is a great place and for me, it was very motivating to read other people's debrief. Here's my story:

Background
Indian IT male with 6 yrs of exp(another typical applicant). Only few extra-curricular activities but nothing special.
Applying to Canadian B-schools only.

I started my preparation 10 weeks back and referred to following material:
OG 12 - Must do, closest to real exam questions
Manhattan SC - Good for concepts but do practice OG/GMAT prep questions multiple times.
PowerScore CR bible (few chapters) - Nice book but for CR, practice is absolute must. Practice all questions from OG.
1000 SC/CR/RC - did only first 100 questions of 1000 SC and 1000 CR. For CR practice, excellent resource.
Kaplan 800 - Did go through some sections but found nothing useful. You can avoid spending time on this book.
GMAT prep - Try to give it at least 4 times. There are some threads in which people have posted all GMAT prep SC and Maths questions(700+). Make sure you go through them after finishing GMAT prep.

CATS

GMAT Prep 1 - 640 (Q49,V28)
MGMAT CAT 1 - 650 (Q44,Q35)
MGMAT CAT 2 - 660 (Q46,V34)
GMAT prep 1 retake - 670 (Q49,V33)
MGMAT CAT 3 - 680 (Q47,V36)
GMAT prep 2 - 700 (Q50,V34)
MGMAT CAT 4 - 600 (Q47,V26)
MGMAT CAT 5 - 670 (Q47,V34)

Test day
All bad things which could happen, happened on the test day(Murphy in full force) Anyways, remained calm and none of those bad things affected my test performance.

AWA
I got topics on which I could have written many points. So it was easy.

Quant
I was expecting 50 in Quant.At no point during the exam time did I feel that the exam is difficult. Maths was pretty straight forward except 2-3 questions. I'd even rate GMAT prep questions harder than the questions I came across during the GMAT though the structure was almost the same. MGMAT CAT exams are much tougher and I never scored above 47 in those CATs. Except one difficult geometry problem, I never faced any tricky issues also. Time wise also, I was perfect. I had 23 minutes to left for solving last 10 questions and 3 minutes for last question. Dont know how GMAT works. :)

Verbal

SC was always my weakness and I had worked on it but it got exposed during the exam. SC was the only part which I found difficult than GMAT prep and MGMAT. There were some killer sentences on which i couldnt apply any of the grammar rules. RC and CR were OK. Surprisingly CR passages were always 3-4 lines only though I was used to 8-10 lines always. RC questions were also simple - nothing fancy. I never had timing problems in this section also. Never felt like rushing through any question. I was expecting at least 35. :(

Now planning to retake the test in another one month. Pls let me know how to improve on verbal(at least 37) and also how to reach from 49 to 50 on Quant.

Last edited by bhattman on 26 Aug 2009, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Cornell University - The Johnson School
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: 660 Q49 and V31 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 07:48
Nice job. For verbal I would recommend that you figure out your weak areas and then learn the concepts in order to improve. Where would you say your weakness lies ... is it in RC, CR or SC?

If your probs come from CR I would recommend MGMAT's CR book. Also, the Powerscore book is excellent.

I plan to retake since I recently score a 620 (39Q, 36V). I was scoring much higher on GMATprep ... my debrief can be found here: my-botched-attempt-at-700-kinda-long-82452.html

During most of the test I was in the 700+ range for verbal but I botched the timing in both quant and verbal. I noticed the SC were about the same as GMATprep except there were more questions testing knowledge of idioms. The CR were much more difficult. Those questions were LSAT level questions. So I'm using my LSAT tests to practice.

Good luck on your retake. You're really close. A slight improvement in verbal and you'll be over 700!
Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: 660 Q49 and V31 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 08:25
you have the answer right in your post. You say for verbal practise practise practise, well thats all is needed once you go through MGMAT SC book atleast twice and Powerscore CR book.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 660 Q49 and V31 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 09:13
hey guys, just to add, i got 2-3 SC questions on usage of colon(:). I thought that GMAT uses only comma(,) and semicolon(;) in SC. Is this new entry or just unknown to me?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: 660 Q49 and V31 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 13:17
RE: bhattman:

Good job & good luck on the retake.

If I were you, I would not spend much time on math (beyond basic review of 700-800 level questions), unless you're one of those guys whose pride would be devastated beyond repair without a Q 50.

99% of your time would be best spent honing verbal skills. Since you already went through MGMAT SC & Powerscore CR, I would suggest going through at least 500-600 SC1000 questions (same with CR), especially since you're a non-native speaker (I'm assuming so since you're Indian, please correct me if I'm wrong). Lots of them will be repeats - making it all the more necessary to go through a greater quantity to get exposure to new material.

I noticed I encountered 1-2 SC punctuation questions on the real GMAT as well... don't know what to make of that, besides vaguely remembering that MGMAT SC mentioning the existence of punctuation problems.

Also, if you're in the need for new practice material, I suggest McGraw-Hill's 2009 GMAT guide. Look for it at your local library or online (hint hint). The problems aren't very hard (math will be cakewalk for you), but the verbal may still present some challenges for you given your mediocre V score (no offense...). I also suggest McGraw-Hill because its one of the lesser known books and its problems are not widely circulated compared to more popular material like SC/CR1000 or Kap 800.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: 660 Q49 and V31 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 21:09
bhattman wrote:
hey guys, just to add, i got 2-3 SC questions on usage of colon(:). I thought that GMAT uses only comma(,) and semicolon(;) in SC. Is this new entry or just unknown to me?

if my memory serves me right - OG11 and 12 both have 1-2 questions testing the use of colon's.
The last question in SC diagnostic also tests the colon concept/use.

Cheers!

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2235

Kudos [?]: 8408 [0], given: 3646

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 660 Q49 and V31 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 22:38
Expert's post
660 is pretty good. If you are not satisfied and have some time on your hands, consider this strategy - may pick up some good pointers:
gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: 660 Q49 and V31   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2009, 22:38