Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 13:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

660 q50 v30 Need advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

660 q50 v30 Need advice [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 09:16
Hi All,

I got 660(q50 v30) in my first attempt today and need your advice to find out whether reappearing for exam is really worth it. Here is my background info:
--3.9 GPA
--Working with a major bank in Amsterdam as an IT consultant from past 1.5 years. Previously worked with a company in India for about 1.5 years; so in total 3 years of experience.

I want to check my chances for University of Chicago, Booth or University of Michigan, Ross.
I would really appreciate if you guys can help me decide whether shall I reappear for test or not.

Thanks in advance :)
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 465

Kudos [?]: 1839 [0], given: 29

Re: 660 q50 v30 Need advice [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 09:40
Expert's post
Rmann wrote:
Hi All,

I got 660(q50 v30) in my first attempt today and need your advice to find out whether reappearing for exam is really worth it. Here is my background info:
--3.9 GPA
--Working with a major bank in Amsterdam as an IT consultant from past 1.5 years. Previously worked with a company in India for about 1.5 years; so in total 3 years of experience.

I want to check my chances for University of Chicago, Booth or University of Michigan, Ross.
I would really appreciate if you guys can help me decide whether shall I reappear for test or not.

Thanks in advance :)

Dear Rmann,
I'm happy to give my two cents on this topic. :-)

Here's a blog I wrote that you might find relevant:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/should-i-retake-the-gmat/

I would say: No, don't retake the GMAT. You already have a quite respectable score (folks are accepted at top scores all the time with scores like this) and you have a solid GPA. One of the many questions adcom asks about candidates is: does this candidate have the academic ability to handle business school? This question is answered with GMAT score and GPA. In your case, the answer is already a resounding "yes." Nudging your GMAT up another 30-50 points would take a TON of work, and it really would make very little difference in your candidacy. The "academic ability" box is already checked off for you.

Here's my advice: take any time & energy you would spend on studying for a GMAT, and use that to craft your entire application. Focus on addressing all the other questions adcom will ask --- does this candidate work well with others? does this candidate have a clear idea about what he wants to accomplish? is this a well-rounded candidate? etc. etc. It seems to me that, potentially, you could create a very strong statement about your international experience ---- many applicants will not have work experience on two different continents!

These are my thoughts on the topic. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: 660 q50 v30 Need advice [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 10:10
Thanks a lot Mike...your reply cleared a lot of doubts..
I am feeling way better after reading your post..
Once again my sincerest gratitude.. :)
Re: 660 q50 v30 Need advice   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2013, 10:10