Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

660 Twice but I'm Not Stressing It

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 17

660 Twice but I'm Not Stressing It [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 11:42
My background:
State School majored in Econ GPA 3.5, 3.9 in major
AA Male
25 yo
Industry: Car Insurance

After months of preparation I took the GMAT on June 26th at 8am. I did very few OG practice problems and took 5 practice tests. I studied pretty much the same way that I did in undergrad. I also outlined ever Manhattan GMAT book thoroughly and then read over my outlines 3 or 4 times. The last practice test that I took with MGMAT was on June 25th and I got a 690. I was well pleased with that and I heard that I should just relax before the test so I did.

When I took the test I was happy go lucky. I was always much stronger in the verbal than I was in the Quant despite my Econ undergrad (3.5 gpa and 3.9 in my major). Unfortunately, this caught up with me and I got a 39 Verbal (87th percentile) and a 42 Quant (61st percentile I think). This came out to a 660 which put me in the 81st percentile overall. When I talked to a wonderfully polite and astute admissions counselor from Tuck (my first choice among Consortium schools… it’s an amazing program and a brother wants to graduate with as little debt as possible) I told her my score and the breakout. She said that while a 660 is a decent score if I applied to the program with that quant score they would be concerned about whether or not I could handle the curriculum. Good thing that even before we had that conversation I enrolled myself into a MGMAT course (I figured that I’d missed stuff and could use the structure).

Well, I took the course and it was wonderful. The GMAT club discount came in very handy. I focused all of my time on the quant homework. I did almost no verbal. I even dropped community service activities in order to complete the practice problems. I took the very last MGMAT practice test and got a 690 when the class was done. I guess that’s my natural aptitude limit for MGMAT practice tests.

I retook the test last Saturday at 4pm. Because I live in the country, the nearest testing centers are 1.5 hours away in opposite directions. I decided to go toward DC. I studied the whole day. When I took the test I felt much more prepared for the quant. I saw significantly harder problems this time so I was happy with a 45. Oh but being rusty on the verbal came around and bit me in the hind parts. The first verbal question was a sentence correction question and though normally I would have clobbered it, this time I was so mentally tired and unprepared that I think I missed it. By the end of the test I think I got my swagger back but I screwed myself over. I got a 35, the 72nd or 73rd percentile. Of all of the practice tests I’d taken, the only one that I was ever got below the 80th percentile on the verbal portion was the one that I started at 1 in the morning.
Yeah well whatever. I did my best and it is well with my soul. I’m going to fully concentrate on my essays and recommendations from here on out. I’m going to strategically position my candidacy since I believe that I’m pretty rare among applicants and would definitely help the diversity of the class that I go to. I don’t simply mean diversity because of my race because that doesn’t necessarily equate to diversity. I mean diversity in the sense of things like my industry (car insurance.. who really comes from car insurance?), my functions in that industry (Product Mgmt, Planning, and Marketing), my life experiences (I’m from the same town as Michael Vick and Allen Iverson; athletics were definitely emphasized over academics so I bucked the trend), and my post MBA goals (to become a corporate officer at my current company after I move up the management ranks). If I market myself right then I think I can leave a distinct and memorable footprint in the hearts and minds of admissions committees even if my GMAT is lower than I’d like. I hope that I didn’t type your head off. We’ll see where I get in with my 660.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: 660 Twice but I'm Not Stressing It [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 13:23
god luck on the rest of the app! glad you are moving forward and have accepted the score.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 33

Re: 660 Twice but I'm Not Stressing It [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 14:18
Sorry to hear it didn't meet your expectations, but it does sound like you've got a good angle on things. You might still adjust down a little bit (e.g. remove Stanford and replace with another Darden-esque school like Cornell or CMU). It sounds like being below average isn't necessarily a deal breaker with your background (both racial and work diversity), but it couldn't hurt to have another great school that's a bit closer.

Overall though, it sounds like it's a shame you don't have another month to do a third GMAT because your situation sounds like you'd have a huge chance of upping your score on a third try. Still, who can complain if you get into one of those schools?
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

Re: 660 Twice but I'm Not Stressing It [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 19:15
I love your attitude, you will definitely succeed with it.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago,Tuck,Oxford,cambridge
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 7

Re: 660 Twice but I'm Not Stressing It [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 19:32
All the best buddy!!!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: 660 Twice but I'm Not Stressing It [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 19:37
Don't lose hope!! All the best !!!

Regards
Ganesh
Class of 2012
Great Lakes Institute of Management
http://greatlakes.edu.in

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

Re: 660 Twice but I'm Not Stressing It [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 21:55
All the best !
Retired Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 33

Re: 660 Twice but I'm Not Stressing It [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 23:02
Sorry to hear it didn't meet your expectations, but I think you'll get good college with score also.

Good luck with your apps!

Funny, Interesting and Crazy Facts, Photos and Videos!
http://funnyinterestingcrazy.blogspot.co.uk/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 17

Re: 660 Twice but I'm Not Stressing It [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 06:46
First, thanks a million for all of the encouragement, everybody. I sincerely appreciate the support.

Jeanette wrote:
Sorry to hear it didn't meet your expectations, but it does sound like you've got a good angle on things. You might still adjust down a little bit (e.g. remove Stanford and replace with another Darden-esque school like Cornell or CMU). It sounds like being below average isn't necessarily a deal breaker with your background (both racial and work diversity), but it couldn't hurt to have another great school that's a bit closer.

Overall though, it sounds like it's a shame you don't have another month to do a third GMAT because your situation sounds like you'd have a huge chance of upping your score on a third try. Still, who can complain if you get into one of those schools?

Yeah, that was my list of schools before the reality of the GMAT hit me lol. I'm now applying to Darden, Tuck, HBS and Wharton. Stanford is an awesome school but even if I were to get in there's no way I'd move to CA. Of the schools I think I stand the best chance at Darden but I’ve heard of people getting into what are generally considered “better schools” with much lower GMAT scores than mine. So I’ll aim for the moon and if I miss and land on Mt. Everest then so be it. If I don’t get in anywhere then I’ll retake the GMAT one more time and apply again next year. We'll see.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Re: 660 Twice but I'm Not Stressing It   [#permalink] 14 Sep 2010, 06:46