Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 02:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

660 - V45 Q35 - B-schools accept low Quant scores?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q35 V45
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 19

660 - V45 Q35 - B-schools accept low Quant scores? [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 23:25
Hi Guys,

Need some advice about admissions/re-take for Masters in Management/Strategy at European B-Schools.

I took my GMAT today and was really disappointed with my Quan score. I did both GMAT prep exams under timed conditions (including doing AWA and IR) and got a quan score of 44 in each, with verbal 45 and 44 on the second. Then today, something must really have been off, the first quant question was really tough and then everything from then on seemed easy. Was horrified to see a quant score of 35 pop up.

I have an undergraduate degree in economics and international business from a good New Zealand university with approximately a 3.0ish GPA for the economics and quant papers and a 3.7ish GPA for international business.

Normally I would just re-take the test in 31 days but for the school I want to apply to (Vienna University of Economics and Business) my first round application would be due before I can re-sit the test. I have some solid extra curriculars, have lived overseas and am highly fluent in German. I thought I would get around 42-46 in Quan and get in reasonably comfortably but am doubting this now.

If I applied in the second round I would have a chance to re-sit the GMAT but it would mean I only find out whether I have a place a month or two before I would need to move my life to the other side of the world. For this reason it is highly preferable that I apply in this round if I am going to apply this year.

The key question is, do you think I have a shot at admission with such a low quant score? Does my economics degree count for anything? Or should I wait for the second round?

Any tips/experiences with European B-schools would be greatly appreciated. :)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: 660 - V45 Q35 - B-schools accept low Quant scores? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 08:02
660 is a good score for Vienna business school. You have a decent profile to address their requirements.

Quick question - Why do you want to go only to Vienna Business School? This school is not ranked anywhere on the top.

Good luck!

www.InterviewBay.com
- Application Reviews and Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target School
Intern
Intern

Re: 660 - V45 Q35 - B-schools accept low Quant scores? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 17:56
Hi, thanks for the reply. I have a few reasons for wanting to do this particular Masters but the easiest to understand is perhaps that I have lived in Vienna before and wish to return. Having said that I think the Strategy, Innovation and Management Control master is perfectly aligned with my interests and future goals and WU is extremely well respected within Europe. I also have friends who have been very complimentary of the courses in this course and their CEMS course.

So I gather you don't think the quant score will hurt too much?
Intern
Intern

Re: 660 - V45 Q35 - B-schools accept low Quant scores? [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 17:57
interviewbay wrote:
660 is a good score for Vienna business school. You have a decent profile to address their requirements.

Quick question - Why do you want to go only to Vienna Business School? This school is not ranked anywhere on the top.

Good luck!

http://www.InterviewBay.com
- Application Reviews and Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target School

Also I think you have confused WU (Vienna University of Economics and Business) with Vienna Business School.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 636 [1] , given: 6

Re: 660 - V45 Q35 - B-schools accept low Quant scores? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 20:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
660 is a decent score, heavily skewed by a very high verbal raw score and quant is okay. Your economics degree, assuming GPA was good, can be okay. WHat will make the difference is your work experience. Is any of your work experience quant-based? Analysis skills are extremely common going into bschool and if there is no evidence or strength demonstrating this, it can put you behind the competition. But 660 is still within range of many of the bschools you listed so it's not a huge thing to worry about. Try to emphasize quant/analysis in your application essay or your work experience to help balance everything out.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 660 - V45 Q35 - B-schools accept low Quant scores? [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2012, 13:51
Hello Guys ,

is 590 score good enough (QA 46 and VA 26) for the MSc program in marketing.

regards,
Krishnen
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Other)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 660 - V45 Q35 - B-schools accept low Quant scores? [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 11:40
HI,
Gave my exam yesterday. depressing 600. Q44 & V28!!!!!!!!
actually i thought i was doing well in verbal. turned out negative.
MY GMAT - 600,10TH - 84%,12TH - 93%,
BE(MARINE) - 84%
3YRS WORK EXP(MARINE ENGINEER),
good sports and extra curricullar activities in school level,
Col Captain and general proficiency gold medalist.
can someone suggest me my chances..
Intern
Intern

Re: 660 - V45 Q35 - B-schools accept low Quant scores? [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 14:24
Just an update - I passed the first round of the application process and am waiting on further rounds so I believe my GMAT wasn't an issue.
I do have some strong work experience for an undergraduate and good extracurriculars so that may have been of assistance.
Re: 660 - V45 Q35 - B-schools accept low Quant scores?   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2013, 14:24