Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 07:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

670, but TERRIBLE AWA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

670, but TERRIBLE AWA [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 13:54
Hi everyone,

I wrote my first GMAT yesterday and scored 670 (Q 44, V 38). I'm happy with my score (was aiming for 650), but know I did very poorly on the AWA - I feel like a 3 would really be wishful thinking!! Do you think I should write again?

I'm applying to part-time programs at two Canadian schools (Schulich and Rotman). Average GMAT scores seem to bounce around 640-660 at these schools.

I'm going to use an essay editing service to help with my application. I have a grad degree with a great GPA and health sciences background with 6 years progressive work experiences. I'm a good fit to both schools (they both have health industry management specializations).

Thoughts? Should I write again, or trust that the rest of my application is strong enough to make up for a poor AWA??

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Berkeley Haas
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 14:10
Well, AWA score 3 or less is not extremely positive - it will make adcoms think you've used essay editing services ;-)

First, wait for the score - may happen that you have a 4, which is enough to forget about it.

Second, try to understand what was the reason of your poor performance. Was it just bad luck? Or nerve? Or typing speed? Or lack of sleep? Etc etc etc...

After that, think what is your chance of doing much better next time. If it was some fatal coincidence - you could be quite able to go for a 5 or 6; if not, and you realize that AWA's just too tough for you now - then maybe you shouldn't waste time, effort and cash for useless re-testing.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

maybe you did OK [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2006, 20:00
Maybe you have checked your score by now. I took the gmat about a month ago and thought I bombed the second AWA portion. However when I checked my official score online I received a 6. So, you may be in for a pleasant surprise. If not it is widely agreed that most schools do not place much emphasis on the score.

Cheers
Eric
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2006, 21:31
agree with the AWA scores.

as long as you make yourself clear without many grammatical mistakes, you won't get a bad score, even if yours is not very convincing.

So, wait for the official report first, then decide whether to re-take. if it is really bad, then it is not too late to take it again. The AWA may be surprisingly good. :)
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2006, 16:54
Wait. Then decide.

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2006, 15:13
Just checked my AWA online today, got a 5.0. I was expecting something like a 3.0. I'm sure you did better than you think.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 219#276219
  [#permalink] 08 Dec 2006, 15:13