Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

670 on GMAT...what schools to apply?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 39

Re: 670 on GMAT...what schools to apply? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 12:32
sravanth wrote:
Hello all,

I have given my GMAT exam on 26th...very disappointed with my Verbal score!

Quant 50 92
Verbal 30 56
Total 670 84

Can someone please suggest some top universities for which I might stand a chance for full-time MBA in general management. I have an experience of 4 years in database domain.

Thanks,
Sravanth

You can try University of Texas at Austin (McCombs), University of Minnesota, University of Michigan (Ross), Cornell University (Johnson), Emory University (Goizueta), among others. Check the rankings of universities and their range of GMAT scores or their averages to see which schools would be suitable for you in terms of your GMAT score.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 39

Re: 670 on GMAT...what schools to apply? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 13:04
sravanth wrote:
Thank you for the quick response! Where can I find the rankings of universities?

Try looking at the US News Rankings for the best business schools in the United States and also check those rankings from the Economist magazine and business week. Some of these may have the average GMAT score and the range of GMAT scores of those MBA Programs. I hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Re: 670 on GMAT...what schools to apply? [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 18:11
sravanth,

I just took mine on the 16th and got the same exact score 670, different split on verbal and quantitative though. I would say that with a 670, you can apply to every school that you think would be a good fit with your overall background. With the top schools, 670 is in the range of acceptance, but I believe that GPA will be more important and work experience as well. Your essays will likely also have a big impact because the more your entire story comes together, I believe the less your score will be emphasized.

If I were in your shoes, I would think about visiting the schools you are really interested in, and find a way that your entire package (scores, essays, work experience) fit for that school and what you want to accomplish in the future. It will help in bringing about an unique way you can make a difference for that specific school and class.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Re: 670 on GMAT...what schools to apply? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 16:45
sravanth,

I believe those three schools are not out of the realm of possibility, although for Sloan, its average GMAT school is quite high. I think the approach I would take for Sloan would be to get to know the admissions counselors early in the process, visit the campus for class and a tour, and talk to alumni and current students about the program. The more initimate you know a particular school, the higher the likelihood your essays and overall fit will make sense in your application. Each school has unique value offerings and if you blend well with a particular focus the school concentrates in, I think the overall story makes sense.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 8

Re: 670 on GMAT...what schools to apply? [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 17:15
ISB is bit difficult as they tend to invite people from IT background only with 750+ score.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: 670 on GMAT...what schools to apply? [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 08:35
Are you indian? While 670 is within range of some top schools (albeit the lower end of the range), Indians generally have to score on the higher end, like 720-760. You probably wouldn't get into any top b-school with a 670 because all the top schools have an almost endless supply of Indian applicants with 720+ GMAT scores. I suggest you retake and shoot for 720+
Re: 670 on GMAT...what schools to apply?   [#permalink] 01 May 2012, 08:35