Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

670 on the GMAT (44Q, 38V) - which schools are realistic?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

670 on the GMAT (44Q, 38V) - which schools are realistic? [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2013, 17:16
Hi all,

I recently took the GMAT for a second time and got a 670 (44Q, 38V), which was disappointing since I got a 660 (42Q, 38V) on my first GMAT and had spent another 2 months studying, focusing on my weakness areas, and taking practice exams (scoring in the 700-720 range). The only bright spot was an 8 on the IR section, which I know doesn't really matter.

I've concluded that I'll probably have to settle with my score. I'm not targeting the very top schools such as Harvard/Stanford/Wharton, but have my sights set on schools such as UCLA, Berkeley, and Yale since I'm interested in nonprofit management. I have a 3.8 undergrad GPA (business major) from a top 25 university, and plan on applying to b-school after I work for several more years. I spent a year working in finance and now work for an education nonprofit in a business analyst role.

I know that I'm on the low range for GMAT scores at these schools, and I hope it won't come back to bite me. Can anyone provide insight on how a score like mine might affect my chances of attending these schools? Can a strong essay/recommendations/work experience really outweigh a 670 GMAT score?

Thank you so much for your advice and insight.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 84

Re: 670 on the GMAT (44Q, 38V) - which schools are realistic? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2013, 21:26
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations on a great score. 670 is a competitive score.
Your profile looks very good to me.

I would suggest you to focus on SOP and LOR and you will get into a good B school.

Best of luck!

Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "+1 KUDOS" icon.
My IELTS 7.5 Experience
From 540 to 640...Done with GMAT!!!
http://www.sahilchaudhary007.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Re: 670 on the GMAT (44Q, 38V) - which schools are realistic? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2014, 02:22
Your good GPA can help you compensate for your low GMAT score. But that alone is not enough. I suggest that you have atleast 3-4 years experience before applying to any business school. Strong essays and recommendations will help impact your application positively but they can not necessarily outweigh a low GMAT score. Try to involve yourself in extra-curriculars. What is most important is that you have leadership roles at work or in your exta-curriculars. Work hard and get promotions at your work place and complete your projects as a leader successfully. If you can give GMAT again and score above 700, you might even stand a chance at Harvard/Stanford/Wharton. The biggest advantage for you is that you have time. Download the free ebook – How to get into top a business school at http://www.interviewbay.com/mba/how-to- ... -ebook.php.

Good Luck!
http://www.interviewbay.com
Re: 670 on the GMAT (44Q, 38V) - which schools are realistic?   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2014, 02:22