Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 728 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 987 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
In the top tier univs, average intake gmat score varies between 670 and 720. You have good chance.. just concentrate on the applications. But, if you think that you can do better, then go for the test again.

anyway, how was the verbal section? anything out of the way from what the Preparation tests offer?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 260 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
If the rest of your app is fine, you will be competitive at Krannert or Kelley. On the other hand, the schools ranked between 10 and 20 (like K and K) are really trying to massage their GMAT numbers up, so if you think you can pick up 30 or 40 more points, I'd consider taking it again.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well done Asandeep. Congratulation for your score and thx for you inputs to the club. I'm sure you will be fine for your application or else, do as stoolfi recommended you to.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks to Geethu, dj, stoofli, Bhai and Paul for your responses.
There are a number of things going on in my mind.
First, there is hardly anytime left for the application deadlines. (priority for international applicants)
Moreover, I still have to finish off TOEFL.
I want to give the best application essays and thus want to give sufficient time to them.

Second, if I cannot give a good application this year then I think it is wise to give another attempt for GMAT and apply for 2005 by early application rounds of 2004.

I am still in dilemma what to do.

As far as my experiences of GMAT go, here they are -

AWA - ETS has sent mails to many people who have registered for GMAT to give inouts to their AWA Pretesting prog. If you have received the mail, I suggest that you participate in the prog.. Others find a partner for AWA and then exchange and evaluate each others response. This helps a lot. Like everyone suggests prepare a framework and stick to it. Practice it so many times that you don't have to think about it in the real exam.

Quanta - I was comfortable with quanta. so probably I am not the best person to give you advice. But, solving Kaplan will help to deal with tough questions that you can expect if you are looking for a high score. I was totally puzzled about how I was doing in the quant. section until I got a probability question in the first 10 questions. Fortunately, it was an easy one. I got about 2-3 more combination problems. I think, the only mistakes I made was in DS. So, I would suggest focusing on DS rather than PS. Moreover, if you solve DS you can just continue on to actually solve the problem which gives you practice of PS. Timing was not a problem for me. I finished dot on time and devoted about 2 mins per question.

Verbal - This section was puzzling for me on both my attempts. Not because I got tuff questions but because both times I felt I did pretty well!! Again, timing was not an issue for me as I made sure not to spend more time on any particular question. (But, now I think may be this was my mistake. Some questions initially do deserve more time then others. Would like your comments on this).
CR questions were quite tricky. Although, prep. tests and other sites have good questions, but the real test CR are a bit different. In most test prep. CR you can easily eliminate by only considering scope and main point of the argument. But, in the real test you will need to weigh two very similar choices for the best one. I found this very tough given the time pressure. Its really hard to say which material is close to real test, but the studa.com CRs' are good for discussions and will help to understand other view points on the same argument. I think, I must have screwed up in the RC questions.
I must admit that this forum has helped me a lot in the verbal preparation. Discussing your views here helps a lot.

Keep sending in your comments.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi asandeep.

First of all let me congratulate you buddy. 670 is indeed a very good score ... just look at your percentile and be proud of it.

Now you can think about whether YOU are satisfied with it or not. Seems to me like you or not ... similar case to mine. What I would suggest is (as you have written above ... and as I myself shall be doing) concentrate on the application package for the 2004 batch ... as we are already late ... if you get in where you want GREAT .. if not then prepare again and take the gmat again ... but if you are yet to take the TOEFL and if you are like me, who cannot dedicate much time to preparing applications per day, then you need to speed up on application rather than spending 1 more month preparing .... because preparing an application process is a very frustrating and time consuming process according to me.

Just my honest 2 cents.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I kind of agree with you pitts20042006. But again...

Although, it is wise to give shot at one of the schools I am aiming at but there is hardly any time left. About 3 weeks to go with essays, recommendations, TOEFL...I just don't feel comfortable rushing the whole process.

By the way, does anyone know of the current application pool ? What are the trends in general ?
I have heard that the applications received by schools this year are lower but much more competitive than previous year's. Is that true ?

Originally posted by asandeep on 05 Jan 2004, 14:58.
Last edited by asandeep on 05 Jan 2004, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I was assuming that you wanted to apply for this year's batch. If you are not keen on applying for this year .. or if you can wait then you may give it another shot ... and I am sure you will score much more.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats! Although 670 is a good score to get you noticed by the top 10, 700+ will make it all the more easier. It also matters more if you have to compensate for a low GPA.

Your CR sample questions that you posted on the forum were invaluable in my preparation, so I suspect that you may have scored lower in either SC or RC. I am sure that with a little more practice, you can ace the verbal section and jump above 700.

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts