Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Corporate finance, social entrepreneurship
 Q50  V36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: 670(Q45,V37) to 720(Q48,V41) : Patience + Persistence [#permalink]
Cant wait for your verbal strategy as that is my weaker part!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Good luck, I think it's wonderful! Keep us posted!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
skbjunior wrote:
Congratulations jimmy86! Good luck for your applications.

thanks a lot....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
vikashjha wrote:
Congratulations for the great score jimmy86 !
All the best for the application process. What schools do you wish to apply to ?

Thanks vikash... i am planning to apply to Darden , Mc Combs ,Michigan and a few others
Manager
Manager
Send PM
DOSE 1 :

In August 2010 I decided that i want to take the GMAT.
But there were a lot of problems :
1. I had never studied seriously since July 2008 when i passed my Engineering(Electrical)
2. I work at a core engineering company so work hours are killing... and then there are the every day parties :)
3. I was to invest time and money into something(gmat) where my prrobability of success was very low.

After a lot of soul searching and peer advice, i took leave from work in Spetember and joined the Kaplan Gmat Classes in Pune.(Kaplan has a tie-up with The Chopras in india). I planned to spend a month learning from the classes and dedicate most of my time to studies. That is when i came across GMAT Club and started reading others experiences and tips.
The Gmat Club Book references ,Test reviews , timer and notes were a big help. But to be frank it was too early to understand the importance of all these sources. I was just a kid in the world of GMAT.

My Background---
Quant : I have been exceptionally bad at math since school... I hated math... probably because i never tried to understand the concepts... In 4 years of engineering i got only two "D" grades ... Both in math :evil:

So you can imagine what it must have been like for me to get from where i was to a 48 in Quant.

Verbal : I was always good with grammar... Clauses were my speciality during school days... I read a lot of books and occassional editorials... All of these made me think that verbal would be like a piece of cake for me.... But Alas!!! 3 months into my studies i realize that my INTUITION (being a non-native english speaker) always leads to wrong choices in SC. Took a long time to realize that SC is more about Rules than about intuition. Its spoken MATH (and thats not good for me cause i am inherently bad at math)

Kaplan GMAT Classes India (SEP 2010)
- Paid 23,000 Rs for the classes.
- Spent another 50 to 70 k(housing, books, PARTIES) during the 30 days that i studied there.
- All in all around 1,00,000 Rs. expense --- Outcome 0 improvement. (What ever i learnt was from the Mgmat books. i lived on them. more on that later)

The classes were a big waste of time and money. The Math faculty was not that good. The Verbal faculty rushed through entire course in a week. Before i could ask them to slow down the classes were over. and after spending 23K i was left on my own to figure things out.
The Kaplan PLS (Personal Learning System) is an online application which is really really good. It has online lectures , around 1800 questions from which you can build your own quiz`s and a very good graphical and quantative analysis of the CAT`s and quiz`s. If you can spend money then i suggest you get access to the PLS it is really good especially for verbal practice.

My Study Plan : Month 1
After taking a diagnostic(580, dont remember the split) i decided to concentrate more on Quant.

For any study you need a basic reference material and the MGMAT 5 Math books are just perfect. These books cover each and every topic on the GMAT in a way the GMAT frames the questions. These books should be used to build concepts.
Of the 5 books i feel the Number Properties(been through it 6 times and each time understood concepts in a better way) and Word Translations books are very important.

Strategy to study the books :
1. Read each chapter and then solve the exercises at the end of the chapter
2. Do the OG Questions segregated,as per topics, in the book and try to solve them with the concepts you learn in the book.
3. For DS section of each book, I felt repharasing was the best part. This section teaches you how to rephrase a question. Like the question 162 or 132(dont remember exactly) in the OG 12th. This question is about a group of students "n" divided into "m" different groups.
The question can be rephrased as "Is n/m and integer?" also we note that there is an integer constrain.
Statement 1 rephrased as : n/m could or could not be an integer
Statement 2 rephrased as : n/m (the inequality constrain) is an integer...

I am not being very clear but once you go through the DS section of the Mgmat books you will know. Just note the questions numbers of the rephrased questions in the mgmat books... try to rephrase them on your own and compare with the rephrasings of the MGMAT books. I feel that rephrasing is the only strategy that works best on DS.

Learn the Rephrasing Concept and you will never make a silly mistake or misunderstand a question on DS

DOSE 1 to be continued.....

Note : Please ignore typing errors ... i hate typing for long... but this is the only way i can contribute to the gmat club forum
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Congrats, inspiring story!
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Other
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
jimmy86 wrote:
DOSE 1 to be continued.....

Congrats! I am looking forward to all your doses. :)
I got a similar score and breakup during my 1st attempt. I am hoping to reach a 750 this time around.
I hope to learn a lot from what you have done. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
very inspiring story and good luck with apps.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts