Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 08:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 105 [1] , given: 43

670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 00:25
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,

I took my GMAT yesterday (September 24th) and came out very disappointed I Scored 670 (Q47,V35)
The most surprising thing was that in all of my GMAT prep CAT practice tests in the last two weeks of preparation I never sank
below Q48. Here is my take on each part:

Quantitative

I most say that I saw some very strange problems, especially one that mentioned a weird definition of a decimal
that I can't seem to remember (it was a long word, maybe one of you can say what sort of decimal can you expect
to get when dividing 5^r/2^s )
Anyway some problems seemed really easy in the first part and I was very suspicious double checking every answer
when I got around to the 20th question it became more difficult yet I guess very tricky rather than complicated.

I really can't say where I really made a mistake, I must assume that I was probably falling for all sort of tricks
I had the feeling during the exam that I am not seeing difficult enough questions. So I guess the difficulty is more in the tricks department rather than in the difficulty one can expect (no combinatorial or probability questions at all!). After reading some reviews on the GMAT club excellent math tests I am very sorry I didn't give them a try.

Verbal

The verbal section really surprised me in the CR questions. In no CAT practice test I took I had to be in a dilemma of which is the right answer in so many question. I rarely got a mistake in CR in both GMAT prep MGMAT tests.
I usually got 1 or 2 mistakes in all the CR questions in each test with being very confident on which answer to choose. Another thing that could have influenced my judgment is the high pressure I felt before taking the exam.
I guess it is a lot more important to me than any other test I ever took because this pressure was very new to me. Regarding RC & SC this were constantly my weakest parts in all the CAT exams I took. So no real surprise there. the first 2 RC parts were quite reasonable to understand with reasonable questions to answer. the last 2 were much more difficult with very difficult questions.
The score of 35 is not very disappointing since this sort of a median score I scored higher in some tests but I guess what lowered my score was the struggle with the CR questions.

Help

My preparation mainly included the Master GMAT course which I must say is quite a disappointment at the end of the day. I can say that its quants section is more close to the GMAT than MGMAT quants section. In the CAT exams I took, it really challenged me with tricky and difficult questions. On the other hand the verbal is just not up to the standard of the GMAT. The SC part is rather easy and the most annoying part was that it kept using for practice the same 3 or 4 RC passages. You can't really learn how to analyze a passage when you keep getting the same one. What was even more annoying that they used the same passages in their CAT tests. When one of their instructors examined my test he also noticed that I got like 7 passages (some of them repeating). He said that it looks like I exhausted there Verbal question bank or something like that. The best thing I can mention is this instructor that was not biased by encouraging me to take different CAT test like the MGMAT test I had. And also referred me to the OG to solve more real GMAT SC questions. I most say that this was his best tip. I used to get 30 in verbal until I tackled all the question in the OG which increased my SC correct answers percentage significantly. I also used the MGMAT SC to revise the grammar rules and I must say I don't think you can top its explanations. In the really early stages of my preparation I used the Kaplan Premier which is nice as a starter but not more than that. Also Kaplan's CAT tests are far away from the real GMAT in both the Quants and the Verbal.

These are my scores in the CAT tests in a chronological order:
Master GMAT 2 660-690(Q48-50,V34-36)
Master GMAT 3 680-690 (Q49-50,V35-36)
-- stopped doing these because of the verbal issue
MGMAT 1 - 640 (Q44,V34)
MGMAT 2 - 640 (Q44,V34)
Kaplan CD 1 - 550
GMAT prep 1 - 650 (Q49,V30)
-- made a stop to improve my SC
MGMAT 3 - 670 (Q47,V34)
MGMAT 4 - 710 (Q48,V38)
GMAT prep 2 - 690 (Q49,V35)
MGMAT 5 - 710 (Q47,V40)
MGMAT 6 - 700 (Q47,V38)
Kaplan Internet 3 - 680 (Q51,V30)
GMAT prep 1 (2nd try) - 690 (Q48,V36)
GMAT prep 2 (2nd try) - 680 (Q49,V32)
GMAT prep 1 (3rd try) - 760 (Q50, V42)
GMAT prep 2 (3rd try) - 690 (Q49, V35)

I looked in the Knewton course which promises +50 or money back guarantee. But I must say that the money is not of my interest I really want to improve my score and I am willing to do what ever it takes.
Can anyone who improved a score similar to mine can tell me how he did it?
Can anyone recommend the Knewton course as a score improver?
What is the minimum time you think I need before I reschedule my second try? I really want to make it to some first round applications. If I will register to the 25th of October I would manage to squeeze in to the first round of 2 schools I want to apply to.

Any tip or advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!
(BTW I also need your kudos to open my GMAT club tests.. :-D )

Consider Kudos if my post helped you. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My TOEFL Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-toefl-experience-99884.html
My GMAT Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-730-10-luck-20-skill-15-concentrated-power-of-will-104473.html

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 6

Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 06:52
This post received
KUDOS
I don't think you should be discussing about real gmat questions here. You might have to edit and remove that section.

GMAT club challenges should help a lot - as per my observation from other test taker debriefs.
RC - preparing for this section would help you a lot.
CR - doing powerscore cr bible will improve the accuracy on this section
SC - MGMAT SC is the best bet

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 43

Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 07:21
Dreamy wrote:
I don't think you should be discussing about real gmat questions here. You might have to edit and remove that section.

GMAT club challenges should help a lot - as per my observation from other test taker debriefs.

Regarding the real GMAT question, this wasn't what the question asked I only mentioned that there was an odd term of a decimal I didn't know it just contained a power of two numbers. Even if I wanted I can't recall what the question asked, I got stuck on the unfamiliar term.

Thanks for your tips!

My GMAT Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-730-10-luck-20-skill-15-concentrated-power-of-will-104473.html

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 46

Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 09:40
This post received
KUDOS
Yu should do a more focused review of the subjects and start with the basic Grammar. Once you are done with that, redo MGMAT SC and Powerscore CR. It's all about nailing the concepts and applying it properly.

Give Knewton a shot too.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Manager
Manager

Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2010, 10:34
Dawgie wrote:
Yu should do a more focused review of the subjects and start with the basic Grammar. Once you are done with that, redo MGMAT SC and Powerscore CR. It's all about nailing the concepts and applying it properly.

Give Knewton a shot too.

Hi Dawgie,
First of all thanks for your comments.
Well I was using the MGMAT SC but I guess I should reread it at least 2 more times. I also thought maybe to buy Powerscore SC. Do you think it will be good for me or is it redundant when I already have MGMAT SC?
I didn't buy the Powerscore CR because I felt that CR is one of my strongest sections. My correct answer percentage is around the 92%. I have no idea how did I do in the real GMAT since I don't where I was wrong, just felt that it was harder than the questions in the GMAT prep. Do you still think I should buy the book?
I also did not use the OG quants review, since many people here pointed out that the questions there are easier than the real GMAT questions. Do you think its worth the buy?
Why do you think I should give Knewton a shot? Can you elaborate? know anyone who liked the course as a GMAT retaker?
I also considered buying "Doing Grammar" ? Do you have an opinion on this book?

Thanks!
Rafi

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 06:35
This post received
KUDOS
Doing Grammar - is very informative. But I find it time consuming. If you have enough time you could give it a shot to reach 100% on SC.

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 07:10
This post received
KUDOS
Dreamy wrote:
Doing Grammar - is very informative. But I find it time consuming. If you have enough time you could give it a shot to reach 100% on SC.

Hi Dreamy,
Did you learn from this book? why do you think it can make me reach 100% on SC?
I am currently around the 73%.. So I guess after maybe reading again MGMAT SC I will improve.
After that I thought about solving the SC 1000 questions.
Do you think It's a good idea?

Thanks,
rafi

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 8

Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 09:34
This post received
KUDOS
Rafi

It was a great debrief - 1 Kudos from me on sharing the experience with us.
Regarding your score - this score is pretty good and give you a good spring board for before your next one... with this attitude, I am pretty sure that you will knock it out!

In my humble opinion - I would recommend to split the problem into 2 (as you mentioned):
1. Verbal - try to focus more on the weak areas by isolating your specific weaknesses, by reviewing the basic rules, and by practicing a lot.
In SC - I personally recommend using both MGMAT SC and the rules from Master GMAT. In CR - work with Critical Reasoning bible (powerscore) and review each problem presented there from 360 degrees.

2. Quantitative - Although I haven't started practicing the hard questions in gmatclub yet, many posts point out that gmatclub tests & materials contain the best and the hardest questions that you can find.

Keep it going
Elad
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 33

Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
Why did you take so many practice tests? Your time would have been much better spent improving individual areas where you have trouble. Especially in the case where you're RETAKING practice exams, you're not even getting a good diagnostic out of it.
Retired Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 33

Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 09:56
You can try your hands on Veritas guides also for additional practice.

Funny, Interesting and Crazy Facts, Photos and Videos!
http://funnyinterestingcrazy.blogspot.co.uk/

Manager
Manager

Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 10:16
Jeanette wrote:
Why did you take so many practice tests? Your time would have been much better spent improving individual areas where you have trouble. Especially in the case where you're RETAKING practice exams, you're not even getting a good diagnostic out of it.

The point you are mentioning is a point I only came up with after I took the GMAT.
You are absolutely right that it was a waste of time to do so many tests. I could have managed with half the amount and work on my weak areas better.
Well as you know there is no wiser than the experienced one.

Thanks for emphasizing this point! would love to hear more comments from you..

1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 347

Kudos [?]: 1415 [1] , given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2010, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS
Judging by your scores, I think Knewton might or might not work for you depending on your focus areas. I'd recommend getting the Powerscore CR and reworking through MGMAT SC to bring up your scores. While you're at it, read an article or two from WSJ, NYT or The Economist and try to make it articles that you'll normally skip. This will help you get more accustomed to the weird passages that GMAT might throw at you. And follow a structured answering pattern for RC as well.

As for Quant, a + or - 1 point difference isn't really that huge of a misnomer. But you could boost your scores by doing the GMAT Club tests. Those are quite a handful.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 05:50
This post received
KUDOS
rafi wrote:
Dreamy wrote:

Regarding the real GMAT question, this wasn't what the question asked I only mentioned that there was an odd term of a decimal I didn't know it just contained a power of two numbers. Even if I wanted I can't recall what the question asked, I got stuck on the unfamiliar term.

Thanks for your tips!

Doing Grammar is written like a math book. This clearly provides you the framework of sentences. So, once you master this book there is no way you will miss sc. I have read just two chapters from this book. As English is not my mother tongue and I have seen grammar rules long time back. I find this book very informative at the same time consuming. Doing all the exercises in this book would help. If someone can spend 30 to 40 hours with this book the improvement is going to be tremendous.

For short of time, I am going to relying on MGMAT sc guide and practice questions from master GMAT. Though the questions from master GMAT are very easy but that seems to teach me how to analyze the questions. I don’t have any other practice set to work on for SCs. I want to use OG for the last three weeks of preparation. Have you tried working on RC from LSAT ? Those tough rcs has helped to keep my focus on the reading section while doing the practice exam.

Keep practicing… and keep us updated.

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 07:11
maybe a bad day?

If the post is helpful, kudos appreciated!

Manager
Manager

Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 07:25
Dreamy wrote:

Doing Grammar is written like a math book. This clearly provides you the framework of sentences. So, once you master this book there is no way you will miss sc. I have read just two chapters from this book. As English is not my mother tongue and I have seen grammar rules long time back. I find this book very informative at the same time consuming. Doing all the exercises in this book would help. If someone can spend 30 to 40 hours with this book the improvement is going to be tremendous.

For short of time, I am going to relying on MGMAT sc guide and practice questions from master GMAT. Though the questions from master GMAT are very easy but that seems to teach me how to analyze the questions. I don’t have any other practice set to work on for SCs. I want to use OG for the last three weeks of preparation. Have you tried working on RC from LSAT ? Those tough rcs has helped to keep my focus on the reading section while doing the practice exam.

Keep practicing… and keep us updated.

Well sounds like Doing Grammar is an excellent book. I will consider ordering it.
Regarding a source of practice for SC, what sources you already used? Did you use the OG Verbal review? Kaplan Verbal Workbook?
Kaplan 800? anyhow you have a lot of challenging material right here in this forum. I find it a great practice to try and solve questions other people find hard. You also have the workbook feature which automatically logs your time and answer. A great tool for review later.
I did not use the RC from LSAT but I already ordered it so I am definitely going to go over it thoroughly. I'll update how good is it when I'll start using the book.

Thanks for the support!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
vladik210 wrote:
maybe a bad day?

I hope I can partly blame my score on a bad day. I think if you add up the pressure I felt it must have had some effect.
Anyhow I'm not going to attend my next test when I have any doubt about my skills achieve the score I want.
And if miss luck would like to drop by I'll be more than happy :)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 09-17-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE: Underwriter (Insurance)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 2

Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 11:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hi rafi,
my 2 cents for verbal you can also try MCAT/LSAT verbal questions, I have heard/read good reviews about CR questions for LSAT and my hubby is studying for MCAT their verbal RC is very similar to GMAT''s,
make sure you are taking breaks in between your practice, don't attempt 50+ questions in a day, you will exhaust your mind, I don't remember you mentioning about error log, try to keep one, it will be very helpful in your reviews.
All the best!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 20:43
This post received
KUDOS
York101 wrote:
Hi rafi,
my 2 cents for verbal you can also try MCAT/LSAT verbal questions, I have heard/read good reviews about CR questions for LSAT and my hubby is studying for MCAT their verbal RC is very similar to GMAT''s,
make sure you are taking breaks in between your practice, don't attempt 50+ questions in a day, you will exhaust your mind, I don't remember you mentioning about error log, try to keep one, it will be very helpful in your reviews.
All the best!

Hi York,
I also eared that the LSAT Verbal is a great practice, so I ordered the LSAT Reading Comprehension Bible.
I also order the Critical Reasoning Bible so I can practice more questions I haven't seen yet.
Regarding the error log I did use one but not in the right manner. I used to log questions I did from the OG & Kaplan books but I didn't devote the time to go over the questions I got wrong. This time I am sure to go over my old mistakes. By the way this is another shortcoming of Master GMAT, It has no log of the questions you got right or wrong and you have not idea how are you doing in different parts of the GMAT besides your own feeling. The instructors in Master GMAT do have some kind of error log and percentage by topics but as a student you don't have access to this sort of data.

Thanks for tips!
Good Luck!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Schools: INSEAD, ISB
WE 1: credit analyst 4yrs
WE 2: equity analyst 1yr
WE 3: tax associate 7months
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 11:56
This post received
KUDOS
I was struggling with SC and benefited from these free and extremely helpful resources (links below) -

1-1000sc-100-brutal-q-explanations-2-level-of-question-85402.html
brutal-100-sc-answers-85386.html
the-brutal-100-sc-test-questions-1-70-and-growing-34300.html
http://www.platinumgmat.com/practice_gm ... _questions

There was yet another file on GMATClub with the collection of ALL SC questions from the GMAT Prep software .......... i'm sorry i think i've lost the link so adding the files .......... if a moderator can spot the link please clear space from server and edit this post ....... hope this helps
Attachments

GMAT-Prep SC Answers.xls [231.5 KiB]
Downloaded 32 times

To download please login or register as a user

GMAT-Prep SCs.doc [305 KiB]
Downloaded 37 times

To download please login or register as a user

my-gmat-experience-750-q-51-v-40-awa-98031.html

Manager
Manager

Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2010, 12:13
addictive wrote:
I was struggling with SC and benefited from these free and extremely helpful resources (links below) -

1-1000sc-100-brutal-q-explanations-2-level-of-question-85402.html
brutal-100-sc-answers-85386.html
the-brutal-100-sc-test-questions-1-70-and-growing-34300.html
http://www.platinumgmat.com/practice_gm ... _questions

There was yet another file on GMATClub with the collection of ALL SC questions from the GMAT Prep software .......... i'm sorry i think i've lost the link so adding the files .......... if a moderator can spot the link please clear space from server and edit this post ....... hope this helps

Thanks!

Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help!   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2010, 12:13