Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 749 [2]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: 670 (Q47,V35) -- Need Your Help! [#permalink]
Kudos
Doing Grammar - is very informative. But I find it time consuming. If you have enough time you could give it a shot to reach 100% on SC.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 749 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Dreamy wrote:
Doing Grammar - is very informative. But I find it time consuming. If you have enough time you could give it a shot to reach 100% on SC.

Hi Dreamy,
Did you learn from this book? why do you think it can make me reach 100% on SC?
I am currently around the 73%.. So I guess after maybe reading again MGMAT SC I will improve.
After that I thought about solving the SC 1000 questions.
Do you think It's a good idea?

Thanks,
rafi
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Rafi

It was a great debrief - 1 Kudos from me on sharing the experience with us.
Regarding your score - this score is pretty good and give you a good spring board for before your next one... with this attitude, I am pretty sure that you will knock it out!

In my humble opinion - I would recommend to split the problem into 2 (as you mentioned):
1. Verbal - try to focus more on the weak areas by isolating your specific weaknesses, by reviewing the basic rules, and by practicing a lot.
In SC - I personally recommend using both MGMAT SC and the rules from Master GMAT. In CR - work with Critical Reasoning bible (powerscore) and review each problem presented there from 360 degrees.

2. Quantitative - Although I haven't started practicing the hard questions in gmatclub yet, many posts point out that gmatclub tests & materials contain the best and the hardest questions that you can find.

Keep it going
Elad
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 3.4 Ivy
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Send PM
Kudos
Why did you take so many practice tests? Your time would have been much better spent improving individual areas where you have trouble. Especially in the case where you're RETAKING practice exams, you're not even getting a good diagnostic out of it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Jeanette wrote:
Why did you take so many practice tests? Your time would have been much better spent improving individual areas where you have trouble. Especially in the case where you're RETAKING practice exams, you're not even getting a good diagnostic out of it.

The point you are mentioning is a point I only came up with after I took the GMAT.
You are absolutely right that it was a waste of time to do so many tests. I could have managed with half the amount and work on my weak areas better.
Well as you know there is no wiser than the experienced one.

Thanks for emphasizing this point! would love to hear more comments from you..
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
Judging by your scores, I think Knewton might or might not work for you depending on your focus areas. I'd recommend getting the Powerscore CR and reworking through MGMAT SC to bring up your scores. While you're at it, read an article or two from WSJ, NYT or The Economist and try to make it articles that you'll normally skip. This will help you get more accustomed to the weird passages that GMAT might throw at you. And follow a structured answering pattern for RC as well.

As for Quant, a + or - 1 point difference isn't really that huge of a misnomer. But you could boost your scores by doing the GMAT Club tests. Those are quite a handful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
rafi wrote:
Dreamy wrote:
I don't think you should be discussing about real gmat questions here. You might have to edit and remove that section.

GMAT club challenges should help a lot - as per my observation from other test taker debriefs.
RC - preparing for this section would help you a lot.
CR - doing powerscore cr bible will improve the accuracy on this section
SC - MGMAT SC is the best bet

Regarding the real GMAT question, this wasn't what the question asked I only mentioned that there was an odd term of a decimal I didn't know it just contained a power of two numbers. Even if I wanted I can't recall what the question asked, I got stuck on the unfamiliar term.

Thanks for your tips!

Doing Grammar is written like a math book. This clearly provides you the framework of sentences. So, once you master this book there is no way you will miss sc. I have read just two chapters from this book. As English is not my mother tongue and I have seen grammar rules long time back. I find this book very informative at the same time consuming. Doing all the exercises in this book would help. If someone can spend 30 to 40 hours with this book the improvement is going to be tremendous.

For short of time, I am going to relying on MGMAT sc guide and practice questions from master GMAT. Though the questions from master GMAT are very easy but that seems to teach me how to analyze the questions. I don’t have any other practice set to work on for SCs. I want to use OG for the last three weeks of preparation. Have you tried working on RC from LSAT ? Those tough rcs has helped to keep my focus on the reading section while doing the practice exam.

Keep practicing… and keep us updated.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
vladik210 wrote:
maybe a bad day?

I hope I can partly blame my score on a bad day. I think if you add up the pressure I felt it must have had some effect.
Anyhow I'm not going to attend my next test when I have any doubt about my skills achieve the score I want.
And if miss luck would like to drop by I'll be more than happy :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT Date: 09-17-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE:Underwriter (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi rafi,
my 2 cents for verbal you can also try MCAT/LSAT verbal questions, I have heard/read good reviews about CR questions for LSAT and my hubby is studying for MCAT their verbal RC is very similar to GMAT''s,
make sure you are taking breaks in between your practice, don't attempt 50+ questions in a day, you will exhaust your mind, I don't remember you mentioning about error log, try to keep one, it will be very helpful in your reviews.
All the best!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
York101 wrote:
Hi rafi,
my 2 cents for verbal you can also try MCAT/LSAT verbal questions, I have heard/read good reviews about CR questions for LSAT and my hubby is studying for MCAT their verbal RC is very similar to GMAT''s,
make sure you are taking breaks in between your practice, don't attempt 50+ questions in a day, you will exhaust your mind, I don't remember you mentioning about error log, try to keep one, it will be very helpful in your reviews.
All the best!

Hi York,
I also eared that the LSAT Verbal is a great practice, so I ordered the LSAT Reading Comprehension Bible.
I also order the Critical Reasoning Bible so I can practice more questions I haven't seen yet.
Regarding the error log I did use one but not in the right manner. I used to log questions I did from the OG & Kaplan books but I didn't devote the time to go over the questions I got wrong. This time I am sure to go over my old mistakes. By the way this is another shortcoming of Master GMAT, It has no log of the questions you got right or wrong and you have not idea how are you doing in different parts of the GMAT besides your own feeling. The instructors in Master GMAT do have some kind of error log and percentage by topics but as a student you don't have access to this sort of data.

Thanks for tips!
Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [3]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance, General
Schools:INSEAD, ISB
 Q51  V40
WE 1: credit analyst 4yrs
WE 2: equity analyst 1yr